Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Picard 1x05 - "Stardust City Rag" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Good to see seven again. Shame no cat suit !
    Jeri Ryan aged well.
    For 100 marks how did she play a significant part in Obama's ascendency?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Slydice wrote: »
    Last thought was about how Bjayzl (actress Necar Zadegan) was the spit of a younger Deanna Troi

One of the writers for io9 :)

https://twitter.com/Jwhitbrook/status/1230869569591484418

How long does the sick stuff go on and is there any more later in the episode?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Overall its better than Discovery but its just boring and getting more un Trek universe like as it goes on. Stewart is just too old, there was one scene where he looked like a bewildered old folks home patient, he was just standing there with his arms ajar at a weird angle that looked a bit tragic. Also thought the too and fro editing was distracting, Ill watch Snatch or Oceans 11 for that thankyou very much. The crew are boring, Rios is ok if a little generic, the rest suck energy out of a scene every time they are on screen. So we have 2 series of Kurtzman Trek and Saru from Discovery or possibly Yeoh's character are the only memorable characters.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

How long does the sick stuff go on and is there any more later in the episode?

About two minutes at the start and that's it.

• Advertisement

About two minutes at the start and that's it.

Thanks. I’m intrigued to see the Freecloud and french pirate Picard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭Rawr

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Jeri Ryan aged well.

Oooo oooo! (hand up)
    Something to with her husband if I remember right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm on the verge of giving up on this show. The thing i can't get past is that Picard is almost totally unrecognisable as the Picard from TNG. Not only do the writers not seem to have any grasp of the character, but Stewart seems to have forgotten how to play him.

Thanks. I’m intrigued to see the Freecloud and french pirate Picard.

If you're watching on Prime skip to around 2:35. You'll miss the gory part, but you'll get thje important information from the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

In fairness that scene was about as grotesque as I've seen in anything for a while.., but episode was great. Just won't watch the start again ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Picards weird accent inception of an ostensible Frenchman doing an Allo Allo voice, has convinced me the Picards are just English blow ins, who got stuck in France post Brexit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Goodshape wrote: »
    That was pretty great!

Really solid episode. Wish everyone could stay a little longer, though. Seven, Maddox, and Frakes as director!

And pity they couldn't get the same actor for Maddox, too! Maybe that's why he didn't stick around. Who knows. Feels like a wasted namedrop now. Why'd they mention him at all.

Decent little twist with yer one the doctor though. Didn't see that coming.

I actually thought that was quite obviously going to happen....series so far is quite good...I just wish they had done it 10 years earlier...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Evade

Rawr wrote: »
    Oooo oooo! (hand up)
    Going to try this without googling.

Jeri Ryan was married to a republican Chicago assemblyman. While he was running for election (and was supposedly a sure thing) against Obama, who was a newcomer at the time, Ryan and the assemblyman were going through a divorce. Ssome insight into their personal lives, I want to say it was a fetish but I'm not sure, was revealed through the divorce proceedings and tarnished his reputation. Obama won kickstarting his his political career.

Jeri Ryan aged well.

Rawr wrote: »
    Oooo oooo! (hand up)

Her ex -husband was running against Obama in a Senate race but divorce papers were leaked revealing he had asked her to do some public sex stuff. That finished him. Paving the way for Obama to win the Senate race. Four years later he is president!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Her ex -husband was running against Obama in a Senate race but divorce papers were leaked revealing he had asked her to do some public sex stuff. That finished him. Paving the way for Obama to win the Senate race. Four years later he is president!

Its just such a pity that after such a great US President like Obama that the buffoon Trump became president. Such a pity it did not have happened the other way round. Hopefully that fool Trump will not be there for much longer.
    Sure Hillery Clinton was not perfect but she would have been better than Trump. I do think do that Obama picked the wrong person to succeed him. Surely his Vice President would have been a better bet.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,886 ✭✭✭✭Stark

AMKC wrote: »
    Sure Hillery Clinton was not perfect but she would have been better than Trump. I do think do that Obama picked the wrong person to succeed him. Surely his Vice President would have been a better bet.

That's decided by the primaries, not by Obama surely?

AMKC wrote: »
    Its just such a pity that after such a great US President like Obama that the buffoon Trump became president. Such a pity it did not have happened the other way round. Hopefully that fool Trump will not be there for much longer.

But it will all eventually lead to the greatest president. Federation president Red Forman!

1TXcZ99.jpg

Ms

Stark wrote: »
    That's decided by the primaries, not by Obama surely?

I think they are used to water down all the candidates so they eventually get the one candidate they hope will beat the Republican candidate and something similer happens with them so they have there's to go up against the Domecratic candidate.
    I still think the president can pick a candidate who he would like to replace him/her but its up to there party and then elections if they get picked or not to do so.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Evade

But it will all eventually lead to the greatest president. Federation president Red Forman!

1TXcZ99.jpg
    I can't not picture him calling the Klingon ambassador a dumbass and threatening the Romulans with a boot up the ass.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Borg Cube wrote: »
    How was Obama a great president, what did he actually do that was so great?

He took over after there was another useless American President there and turned the American economy around after the crash of 2008. He brought lots of American troops home from places they never should have been. He saved big American business's that would have went under otherwise. He had respect for other World leaders and for how the World works. He actually worked his way up and educated himself to deserve to be the President of America. Trump did not. He also brought in ObamaCare which offered better heath services to Americans. Obama done all this and would have done even more except for the resistance he faced in the senate against his party. The most important one do is that Obama gave people hope. He planned the capture of Osama Bin Laden the architect of the 2001 attack on America. Yes there was sometime he made mistakes or went over a red line that he should not have gone over like in Syria when he said chemical attacks would be a red line and when it happened he done nothing about it when he should have. But then what American president did not malke a mistake. They are only human after all. The biggest difference between Obama do and the orange buffoon that is there now is that Obama had empathy and a moral compass. The buffoon that is there now cares about absolutly no one but himself not even his so called wife. She is just with him for the power and the money. If he had non e of that she would not even look at him.
    Trump is a child. He should not be president of a creche nevermind the President of US.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Wait...did I miss a scene on Freecloud with Obama in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,198 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Wait...did I miss a scene on Freecloud with Obama in it?

He was doing a deal with Quark.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I'm on the verge of giving up on this show. The thing i can't get past is that Picard is almost totally unrecognisable as the Picard from TNG. Not only do the writers not seem to have any grasp of the character, but Stewart seems to have forgotten how to play him.

I can understand this opinion. I think they knew this too because some of the pre-release interviews mentioned that this is not the same Picard from the Enterprise and that he had changed.

I'm sticking with it though. It's not as good as it could have been but it is still keeping me interested each week, especially now that Seven is back.

One thing that struck me in this episode was how brilliantly Jeri Ryan fell back into the role of Seven, especially compared with your commentary about Patrick Stewart. She has the potential to have her own series.

I'm reading the prequel novel at the moment. Really helps fill in the gaps as to the characters' motivations. Makes some stuff easier to appreciate. Like you really get why Admiral Clancy went off on Picard the way she did for example. Or why the Romulan refugees are living the way they are. And why Starfleet just gave up after the Mars attack.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I enjoyed this. Jeri r was brilliant
    Agree she had time to escape so staying was weird. Didn't want to cause a bounty being put on picard and didnt have anywhere else?

Don't know what to make of jurati. Maybe they showed her stuff in the chat with sunglasses lady. Maybe that's the big secret the romulan supersecret police are hiding. Maybe all AI turn into borg

Don't think patrick s is acting badly. Didn't like legolas and the "it's pretending!" shtick

I'm reading the prequel novel at the moment. Really helps fill in the gaps as to the characters' motivations. Makes some stuff easier to appreciate. Like you really get why Admiral Clancy went off on Picard the way she did for example. Or why the Romulan refugees are living the way they are. And why Starfleet just gave up after the Mars attack.

What’s the name of that?

"Star Trek Picard: The Last Best Hope". Good read so far (half way through).

Funnily enough all the negative reviews on Amazon (of which there are few) seem to be in relation to "bad language" in the book which I haven't noticed. Raffi blurts out "Shít" in front of Picard at one point but I felt that was perfectly appropriate to the character and the boundaries pushing that would bring us to "Jay-El".

bluewolf wrote: »

Don't know what to make of jurati. Maybe they showed her stuff in the chat with sunglasses lady. Maybe that's the big secret the romulan supersecret police are hiding. Maybe all AI turn into borg

Lol. Romulan Supersecret police.
    I've a feeling that the Romulans go crazy when assimilated because they have already been assimilated. The entire race are Borg sleeper drones.

• Advertisement

"Star Trek Picard: The Last Best Hope". Good read so far (half way through).

Funnily enough all the negative reviews on Amazon (of which there are few) seem to be in relation to "bad language" in the book which I haven't noticed. Raffi blurts out "Shít" in front of Picard at one point but I felt that was perfectly appropriate to the character and the boundaries pushing that would bring us to "Jay-El".

Worf captain of the Enterprise is interesting. Thought he was with chancellor Martok. Unless they are going down the STO route where Martok was assassinated.

Seems they are also going down the STO route with the Romulus Supernova event not been a natural occurrence. Who knows, we may yet see Iconians!

Advertisement