Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭stanflt

A friend of mine had Energia come knocking at his door this evening offering huge money for a solar farm- had his maps and all- sounds to good to be true thou- my friend would like to know if anyone else has been contacted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

stanflt wrote: »
    A friend of mine had Energia come knocking at his door this evening offering huge money for a solar farm- had his maps and all- sounds to good to be true thou- my friend would like to know if anyone else has been contacted
    Tell him to ask them for double to start off and see if they come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,916 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Had them a few years ago, never heard from them after. Knew exactly what fields they wanted before they came

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Anyone getting delays with bvd results. Sent a batch of Mon and have no results yet

Mooooo wrote: »
    Anyone getting delays with bvd results. Sent a batch of Mon and have no results yet

Where are the sending them. Enfer here and good enough so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Similar around here. Large amounts of money offered for signing over lease of farms for solar arrays. Tbh distance to market makes no sense with regard to transmission losses. Investment funds are making this into fools gold imo..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

simx wrote: »
    Anyone have a ballpark figure on how much we’ll bred enough Fr heifer calves are worth? 2-3wks old

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

simx wrote: »
    Anyone?

Surely around what they were making last year or thereabouts. I sold some for €300-€350 last year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

whelan2 wrote: »
    Where are the sending them. Enfer here and good enough so far

Yeah enfer, got a txt this morning saying number of neg samples as opposed to a list of tag numbers last year?. All negative anyway

Yeah enfer, got a txt this morning saying number of neg samples as opposed to a list of tag numbers last year?. All negative anyway

I think the texts are slow to come through, you'll get the results quicker on enfers customer portal or icbf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I sold 6 cows from the yard today for 500 euro each, happy out with it. All problem cows and taking up space and time.

One had a broken leg that didn't heal properly, crooked enough that she would be under pressure if bulled. Two were poor on concrete, nearly always had one or other one with their legs flat out the back every week, lifted up and left on straw bed but needed going. One cranky milker, one not in calf and one had sores on her hind legs from lying on the cubicles, even with mats.

A few weanling bulls to go next week and then make a burst into getting calves out of the place.

I sold 6 cows from the yard today for 500 euro each, happy out with it. All problem cows and taking up space and time.

One had a broken leg that didn't heal properly, crooked enough that she would be under pressure if bulled. Two were poor on concrete, nearly always had one or other one with their legs flat out the back every week, lifted up and left on straw bed but needed going. One cranky milker, one not in calf and one had sores on her hind legs from lying on the cubicles, even with mats.

A few weanling bulls to go next week and then make a burst into getting calves out of the place.

It’s a great feeling when you do a clear out- got rid of around 65 animals there in January-5 loads to the factory in 2 days- has significantly reduced workload with less feeding to be done every day- even allow me to take 4 days off at the start of the week for the kids mid term- herself said I’d be divorced if she had to spend another mid term on her own-

That was good money, fats are making about 900 at the minute.
    What breed if cows were the ones with the bad legs? Just I hear of a lot of that sort of thing and you'd see a cow or more out in a paddock outside a lot of farms along the road.
    We'd never have it (touch wood) and I'm wondering is it the NRx in our cows that's the reason. Husbandry is good but normal here, lets say plenty could be better and it's not a factor in comparison to our peers.

All good with Farmlab.

What breed if cows were the ones with the bad legs? Just I hear of a lot of that sort of thing and you'd see a cow or more out in a paddock outside a lot of farms along the road.
    We'd never have it (touch wood) and I'm wondering is it the NRx in our cows that's the reason. Husbandry is good but normal here, lets say plenty could be better and it's not a factor in comparison to our peers.

All friesians. The Jex are nearly bulletproof:pac:

I'm down to 2 Nrx now and one of them is Shergar reincarnated so she'll probably be offloaded soon after calving.

If she doesn't jump the barriers again before that.

What do you mean by fats 900

• Registered Users Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭tanko

Dairy cows fit to kill maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭visatorro

stanflt wrote:
    It’s a great feeling when you do a clear out- got rid of around 65 animals there in January-5 loads to the factory in 2 days- has significantly reduced workload with less feeding to be done every day- even allow me to take 4 days off at the start of the week for the kids mid term- herself said I’d be divorced if she had to spend another mid term on her own-

Same here brought the kids up to Dublin today ,she went off to meet friends and get hair done. I'm waiting for her to land back then iv to go feed cow's. Sure what else would you be at on a Saturday night.!!

the reply was in relation to selling dairy cull cows.
    Fat dairy cull cows are making about €900 at present, based on 300 kgs carcase weight at 3€/kg .

All friesians. The Jex are nearly bulletproof:pac:

I'm down to 2 Nrx now and one of them is Shergar reincarnated so she'll probably be offloaded soon after calving.

If she doesn't jump the barriers again before that.
    What bull us Shergar off? Or is it from the mother?
    We've never had anything like a Shergar in an NRx and we've been breeding them for almost 20 years at this stage. I only got caught with one poor bull on temperament, LEV, but you'd get that in any breed, and they were more nervous that wicked. He was recommended by Teagasc for crossbreeding and I'd say did the breed's reputation a lot of harm. The thing is that the NR actually have very reliable temperament figures unlike the makey uppy figures used by ICBF. Only animals I ever had real temperament problems with were of BrFr breeding bizarrely, which I wouldn't have expected.

• Advertisement

the reply was in relation to selling dairy cull cows.
    Fat dairy cull cows are making about €900 at present, based on 300 kgs carcase weight at 3€/kg .

I sent some cows to the factory straight out of the parlour and they made 12-1500- calved a year But not in calf

What bull us Shergar off? Or is it from the mother?
    We've never had anything like a Shergar in an NRx and we've been breeding them for almost 20 years at this stage. I only got caught with one poor bull on temperament, LEV, but you'd get that in any breed, and they were more nervous that wicked. He was recommended by Teagasc for crossbreeding and I'd say did the breed's reputation a lot of harm. The thing is that the NR actually have very reliable temperament figures unlike the makey uppy figures used by ICBF. Only animals I ever had real temperament problems with were of BrFr breeding bizarrely, which I wouldn't have expected.

No idea where she got it from, tbh. I have a single feed bar along the whole shed and she has it jumped twice. I ended up welding a length of blueband over that and she took it with her last year. Her calves are sober out, though, so it may be time for her to find someplace else to check out their collecting yard security.

I sent some cows to the factory straight out of the parlour and they made 12-1500- calved a year But not in calf

Maybe I sent in weanlings by mistake ...

Maybe I sent in weanlings by mistake ...

Ha - it’s shows how bad a state the beef industry is in - o-2+ cull cows getting 3.35 when prime beef heifers were only 3.60 the same week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭visatorro

23 litres
    4.17 fat
    3.35 pr
    7kg 18% nut.
    Silage tested ok but is wet.
    Nothing grazed.
    75% of herd calved in Nov early dec.
    Few culls, sick, hobbled yokes and disappointing girls included in above figures just to keep it real.
    Hoping grass will leave things abit happier, healthier and leaves more money!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

What's that website that sells high ebi dairy cows/heifers, forgot the name?. Will this Coronavirus have any effect on milk price going forward

kevthegaff wrote: »
    What's that website that sells high ebi dairy cows/heifers, forgot the name?. Will this Coronavirus have any effect on milk price going forward

Are you looking for cows kev

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Are you looking for cows kev

I am

Grasstec group?

There's a bit of downward pressure on prices due to the fear that the Chinese will stop buying or stop paying for what they already had delivered.

• Advertisement

I am

Many??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement