Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Election Louth Constituency

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Ged will very much be in the mix.

Kelly isn't liked by party members. He failed to get a single nomination from his parliamentary colleagues to contest the last leadership contest.

I'd say that it is between Ged and Aodan O'Riordan. Both are intelligent media friendly candidates. I'd say the loser will end as deputy leader.
    Kelly will get reelected each time, something you need for a leader, the other two are debatable, with O'Riordain definitely more likely to be returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,453 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Kelly is an arrogant toss*r. He will definitely try to become leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Do they need to change tack and go with someone more "likeable"? The last two Labour leaders seemed to have an uncanny knack to rub everyone up the wrong way.

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Do they need to change tack and go with someone more "likeable"? The last two Labour leaders seemed to have an uncanny knack to rub everyone up the wrong way.
    They are down to 6 now, well 5 with Howlin stepping down, so not exactly a huge selection to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭PGE1970

is_that_so wrote: »
    Kelly will get reelected each time, something you need for a leader, the other two are debatable, with O'Riordain definitely more likely to be returned.

Kelly is a "foot in mouth" politician. He is not liked by his party colleagues.

Willie O'Dea has topped polls in Limerick for years. Seamus Kirk was re-elected for years in Louth, Brendan Smith in Cavan etc none would ever be considered for leaders albeit in larger parties.

We'll agree to disagree.

Ged is well liked & is well connected to the unions. He is also a former Super Junior Minister and well thought of for his work in that area.

I think that he has a terrific chance if it comes to a vote within the Labour Party.

• Advertisement

If I was betting on the next Labour leader then I’d bet on Kelly.
    He’d gut his own mother for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ged is well liked & is well connected to the unions. He is also a former Super Junior Minister and well thought of for his work in that area.

I think that he has a terrific chance if it comes to a vote within the Labour Party.

As a Drogheda guy, I'd like Ged.

Buuuut.

If there's another election, I'd wonder if SF wouldn't be tempted to throw a third candidate into Louth. And if that happens, surely it would be Ged in trouble. Would it be a good look for the party if their newly elected leader immediately lost his seat?

Lord TSC wrote: »
    As a Drogheda guy, I'd like Ged.

Buuuut.

If there's another election, I'd wonder if SF wouldn't be tempted to throw a third candidate into Louth. And if that happens, surely it would be Ged in trouble. Would it be a good look for the party if their newly elected leader immediately lost his seat?
    This is my reasoning as well. Kelly has a moderately safe seat so might be favoured more. I can't them risking a 3rd candidates and they know they can get two in Louth. Remember Donegal was only the last election! They'll double up where they left surpluses and and try to get two in as many constituencies as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭bren2001

Kelly is a "foot in mouth" politician. He is not liked by his party colleagues.

Willie O'Dea has topped polls in Limerick for years. Seamus Kirk was re-elected for years in Louth, Brendan Smith in Cavan etc none would ever be considered for leaders albeit in larger parties.

We'll agree to disagree.

If SF form part of the government, that creates space in opposition for a CL party. Kelly is brash and loud and, out of their options, by far the best pick in my opinion. He'll get headlines in the media by holding the fire to SF's feet calling them out for every failed promise being delivered or deviation from their manifesto. He's far from reasonable which is what you need to be in opposition. He may be able to eat into those volatile voters who picked SF this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭10green bottles

is_that_so wrote: »
    That didn't work for Gino Kenny in Dublin - he got next to none from SF.

:D

I'll laugh at a lot of stuff i've said over this ge election campaign but Gino's comeback is some craic.PMSL'D over how he conceded and then got it back again.Story of the election imo.Great story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

peejay1986 wrote: »

He won't be getting my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

I still can't figure out how the media luvies managed to fool the people into keeping the Seanad.

What a waste of money and an affront to democracy.

He won't be getting my vote.

You don’t have a vote for Seanad Eireann unless you’re a graduate of certain universities.

Under Article 18 of the Constitution, Seanad Éireann consists of 60 senators, composed as follows:

Eleven nominated by the Taoiseach.
    Six elected by the graduates of certain Irish universities:
    Three by graduates of the University of Dublin.
    Three by graduates of the National University of Ireland.
    43 elected from five special panels of nominees (known as vocational panels) by an electorate consisting of TDs (members of Dáil Éireann), outgoing senators and members of city and county councils. Nomination is restrictive for the panel seats with only Oireachtas members and designated nominating bodies entitled to nominate. Each of the five panels consists, in theory, of individuals possessing special knowledge of, or experience in, one of five specific fields. In practice the nominees are party members, often, though not always, failed or aspiring Dáil candidates:
    Seven seats on the Administrative Panel: Public administration and social services (including the voluntary sector).
    Eleven seats on the Agricultural Panel: Agriculture and the fisheries.
    Five seats on the Cultural and Educational Panel: Education, the arts, the Irish language and Irish culture and literature.
    Nine seats on the Industrial and Commercial Panel: Industry and commerce (including engineering and architecture).
    Eleven seats on the Labour Panel: Labour (organised or otherwise).
    The general election for the Seanad must occur not later than 90 days after the dissolution of Dáil Éireann.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Are the Seanad elections soon?

Got a "newsletter" out from Ronan Mullens the other day, but threw it straight in the bin without reading too much of it. Would explain though why he's starting to send stuff round when he usually doesn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Are the Seanad elections soon?

Got a "newsletter" out from Ronan Mullens the other day, but threw it straight in the bin without reading too much of it. Would explain though why he's starting to send stuff round when he usually doesn't bother.

can't wait to get mine, need a good laugh. Whats his slogan these days, 'no to abortion, yes to paedos'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

You don’t have a vote for Seanad Eireann unless you’re a graduate of certain universities.

Under Article 18 of the Constitution, Seanad Éireann consists of 60 senators, composed as follows:

Eleven nominated by the Taoiseach.
    Six elected by the graduates of certain Irish universities:
    Three by graduates of the University of Dublin.
    Three by graduates of the National University of Ireland.
    43 elected from five special panels of nominees (known as vocational panels) by an electorate consisting of TDs (members of Dáil Éireann), outgoing senators and members of city and county councils. Nomination is restrictive for the panel seats with only Oireachtas members and designated nominating bodies entitled to nominate. Each of the five panels consists, in theory, of individuals possessing special knowledge of, or experience in, one of five specific fields. In practice the nominees are party members, often, though not always, failed or aspiring Dáil candidates:
    Seven seats on the Administrative Panel: Public administration and social services (including the voluntary sector).
    Eleven seats on the Agricultural Panel: Agriculture and the fisheries.
    Five seats on the Cultural and Educational Panel: Education, the arts, the Irish language and Irish culture and literature.
    Nine seats on the Industrial and Commercial Panel: Industry and commerce (including engineering and architecture).
    Eleven seats on the Labour Panel: Labour (organised or otherwise).
    The general election for the Seanad must occur not later than 90 days after the dissolution of Dáil Éireann.

I’m well aware of what I had to do to get to vote for the Seanad ;)

I still can't figure out how the media luvies managed to fool the people into keeping the Seanad.

What a waste of money and an affront to democracy.
    There was lots of focus on the former but not a lot on the latter, nor did we see any evidence of what we would get instead. Ball was dropped by the government, Bruton in this case, by pushing the waste of money only.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Slightly off topic but it seems Kevin Meenan is making a return to Louth County Council to take up the seat vacated by recently elected TD Ruairi O'Mhurchu. (Ruairí originally became a councillor when he replaced Kevin Meenan who stepped away in 2017.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭10green bottles

No surprise really but a very welcome one.(i would say that as he's a personal friend of mine)
    Kevin originally stepped aside in 2017 due to a health issue.Thankfully he has now overcome his illness.A really great lad and an outstanding rep for his area based prime in Muirhevnamor,Dundalk he is well respected across all political divides for the work he does in his local community.

• Advertisement
Advertisement