Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flight delay 2 hours and 40 minutes from Birmingham to Dublin

• 21-02-2020 3:05am

Am I entitled to any compensation or either the airline or or claim through my travel insurance?

I asked why my flight was delayed and they said something about the plane being delayed in Tenerife, as usual Ryanair staff were very vague.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Am I entitled to any compensation or either the airline or or claim through my travel insurance?

I asked why my flight was delayed and they said something about the plane being delayed in Tenerife, as usual Ryanair staff were very vague.

EU261 compensation applies if you arrive at the gate more than 3 hours late. However there was another French ATC strike yesterday which caused lots of delays. EU261 compensation would not apply in that case. Although subsequent knock on delays should be mitigated by the airline so a bit of a grey area. Maybe someone else can help here.

Ultimately though you will not be entitled to compensation in your case although you should have received refreshment vouchers at the airport.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    EU261 compensation applies if you arrive at the gate more than 3 hours late. However there was another French ATC strike yesterday which caused lots of delays. EU261 compensation would not apply in that case. Although subsequent knock on delays should be mitigated by the airline so a bit of a grey area. Maybe someone else can help here.

Ultimately though you will not be entitled to compensation in your case although you should have received refreshment vouchers at the airport.

Thanks for the reply and your help, why they guy above you had to be rude I don’t know why, I just thought I’d ask that’s all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

261 kicks in at 3 hours, travel insurers often 5-6 and it's usually about 30 quid.

A knock on delay like that isn't a get out but it's irrelevant here anyway

Trampas wrote: »
    Air fares will rise then

By an imperceptible amount. The compensation is payable when the airline effectively breaks their contract with you. We expect to depart and arrive, travelling in a particular class and agree to pay the fee when making the ticket purchase. When they fail to provide what they agreed, it’s perfectly reasonable to expect to be compensated, as everything from meeting schedules, family holidays and all sorts of other things are arranged to coincide with a travel schedule.

I got stuck in Heathrow on Sunday due to BA not being able to tell me what gate the aircraft was at due to an IT systems fault, nothing to do with storm Dennis. The flight left at 17:17, two hours late, but nobody announced the gate over the PA, no boards displayed the gate, the BA service desk had no idea which gates - A, B or C in T5. The flight left while there were still hundreds in the BA transfer desk queues.

What’s the impact?

I was on my way to Washington DC to meet a new customer who flew up from Panama specifically to exchange contracts on Monday morning, then on to meet with two other prospective customers in the afternoon. I didn’t get there until 7pm on Monday. Lucky for me, I got to meet my customer that night as he wasn’t returning until Tuesday morning, so it wasn’t a completely wasted trip. But I couldn’t do everything intended to be done during the visit. I had to cancel two meetings as they failed to provide the travel services one would have every right to expect.

Compensation will absolutely be requested. I’ll need to go back again to get the work done and no way should we have to foot the bill twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

what people are forgetting is the reason for the delay - not all delays are covered by EU261 but yeah I agree that so many people are seeking compo for every little thing these days - delays are part of air travel - suck it up.

• Advertisement

what people are forgetting is the reason for the delay - not all delays are covered by EU261 but yeah I agree that so many people are seeking compo for every little thing these days - delays are part of air travel - suck it up.

And there will always be those lazy fools or outright eejits who think there’s something honourable about letting a business keep your money when you have a right to a refund or additional compensation for being put in crappy situation by their airline.

If it’s a qualifying claim, make it. If it doesn’t qualify, don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

JayZeus wrote: »
    And there will always be those lazy fools or outright eejits who think there’s something honourable about letting a business keep your money when you have a right to a refund or additional compensation for being put in crappy situation by their airline.

Exactly right.

But you have people trying to get compensated for a delay due to storm Dennis last weekend. They are the problem, not people in your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

JayZeus wrote: »

You're missing the point - there IS no basis for claim in the OP

You're missing the point - there IS no basis for claim in the OP

I know that perfectly well.

I’m addressing the people who falsely suggest their insurance premiums and airline ticket prices will increase because people exercise their rights under EU261, which is patently false.

A valid claim will (mostly, eventually) be processed. A BS claim won’t.

That is the point, which you missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Mod-note:

Posts were deleted by me. Please read our Forum Charter before returning to this thread and others on our forum.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
Advertisement