Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men’s fashion faux pas that annoy you

• 20-02-2020 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭ Rosa Tender Handshake

There are many but no dimple a neck tie trivially annoys me.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 231 ✭✭Martin Lanigan

Those short socks and skinny jeans. Apparently some ‘men’ are wearing women’s leggings.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Slim fit jeans and trousers, the level of spacing dedicated to them in shops when you see the majority of people are overweight and obese walking the streets you can see clearly why so many bricks and mortar places are going bust because they are run by idiots with their heads in the clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I wouldn't exactly call it a fashion faux pas but the trend of men wearing skinny jeans that are too tight. They end up walking like John Wayne, they look very uncomfortable and their legs look a bit out of proportion IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭ Rosa Tender Handshake

Skinny jeans at the top of the hit list

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bare ankle look with trousers that look shrunk in the wash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Patterned shirt and patterened tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Too much shirt-cuff showing at the wrists of a jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭harr

That bare ankle and slip on shoes looks dire .. maybe I am getting old . Looks twice as bad when the trousers are checked

• Registered Users Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Skinny jeans are fine if you have the figure ;)

Those skinny grey tracksuit bottoms all the kids are wearing though deserve to be burnt to the ground (preferably with the kid still wearing them)

Is the trend "dress me like a scumbag k pls"?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Those short socks and skinny jeans. Apparently some ‘men’ are wearing women’s leggings.

And some copying that loathsome female trend of ripped knees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Sh*tty rental tuxedos. I hate them with a deep passion.

Clip-on or pre-tied bowties in general.

Not tailoring suit jackets even a little bit - the main culprits tend to be too long sleeves and folks wearing jackets the wrong size in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,746 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Bare ankle look with trousers that look shrunk in the wash.
    With faux suede slip on shoes...Jesus wept

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Too much shirt-cuff showing at the wrists of a jacket.

And too little! Ill fitting suits in general is a bugbear of mine. Too long trousers, too short jackets, badly knotted ties, the wrong kind of shirt, scuffed up or unpolished shoes. Or worse, a casual jacket over a shirt and tie! You can get away with that in Italy as the jacket would still be styley, but not with a Superdry hoody. :)

Irish men in general are pretty rubbish at wearing suits. Probably because they don't know how to wear them properly. If they did, and actually had a great fitting suit for once, they would love to wear as they would feel great in it.

The Topman style suits young lads wear are the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

harr wrote: »
    That bare ankle and slip on shoes looks dire .. maybe I am getting old . Looks twice as bad when the trousers are checked

I’ve only seen this on the flesh recently and was appalled by it. But at nearly 50 maybe I’m just an old lad with no idea of modern fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

1. Clip on bow ties- grow up. You are at not 16 going to the Debs

2. On new suits lads who don't realise that the makers label on the cuff is meant to be removed before wearing it. That is only there to help the retailer identify the brand while hanging on the rack.

3. Lads who buy a new shirt but don't wash and iron it before wearing it- you can then see the obvious new shirt tell tell folds.

And I know full well there are lads reading this guilty of the above and probably all at the same time.

Plenty more will spring to mind.

There is difference between a fashion 'trend' that you may not like and a faux pas.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

1. Clip on bow ties- grow up. You are at not 16 going to the Debs

2. On new suits lads who don't realise that the makers label on the cuff is meant to be removed before wearing it. That is only there to help the retailer identify the brand while hanging on the rack.

3. Lads who buy a new shirt but don't wash and iron it before wearing it- you can then see the obvious new shirt tell tell folds.

And I know full well there are lads reading this guilty of the above and probably all at the same time.

Plenty more will spring to mind.

Why be annoyed about it? Why not just be satisfied with the sanctimonious air of smugness you get from knowing more about how to wear formal clothes, than most people?

Wearing formal clothes doesn't arise very often for most people. If I noticed a bloke wearing his clothes wrongly, then I would move on without any annoyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

agree with all the above, especially skinny stretchy jeans that dont fit anyone, and the bare ankles... are they even wearing socks??

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    are they even wearing socks??

Some are, some aren't. Some wear pop socks which are mostly unviable. You'll never know for sure so probably best to get annoyed at them all just in case. lol

Why be annoyed about it? Why not just be satisfied with the sanctimonious air of smugness you get from knowing more about how to wear formal clothes, than most people?

Wearing formal clothes doesn't arise very often for most people. If I noticed a bloke wearing his clothes wrongly, then I would move on without any annoyance.

That is the whole point of this thread. Check out the title.

Did I touch a nerve...:D

• Advertisement

That is the whole point of this thread. Check out the title.

Did I touch a nerve...:D

Not my nerves, no. But your nerves must be twitching full-time if you get cross about how other people dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Oh I thought of another MASSIVE one of mine. Folks (not just men, in fairness) who don't cut the threads that hold coat and jacket vents closed during shipping. Drive me INSANE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

Jumpers and pants.

4. Short sleeve shirt and tie combo- should be a criminal offence. You just look like a middle aged book keeper or manager at Super Value.

5. Button down collar shirt- that is more of a personal dislike that a faux pas.

6. Football jerseys on adults. Full stop.

Not my nerves, no. But your nerves must be twitching full-time if you get cross about how other people dress.

Relax. It's a harmless online thread about petty annoyances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

why getting so worked up? wear whatever you like and ignore people's opinion if it annoys you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

jeanz n' shuuuz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Runners with suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'm starting to think men are a lot more judgemental about what people wear.

I notice when something is wrong in my opinion but only judgement I make is that is sloppy, nice, not nice or similar. As for being a fashion faux pass give me a break. Most of the complaints are made about how suits are worn which is a bit ironic considering they are getting more and more redundant for most people.

The biggest fashion faux pass is to still think you have to obey the rules some knob invented decades or centuries ago to keep those who are not in the know away from top jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

I love the look of ankle grazing trousers on men and women, but i've noticed with men is that they are more mid calf length rather than grazing the ankle so that annoys me irrationally

Advertisement