Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Star Trek thread

Comments

• Bat Terry

450?cb=20150111123421

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Stark wrote: »
    Interesting that Romulan space is the closest to Borg space. Kind of confirms theories that the Romulans had interactions with them before Starfleet.

That was part of my long winded post ;) That plan made no sense. It made sense for them to assimilate 24th century Earth as its technology, experiences and species diversity would have greatly added to the Collective. Instead, they chose to assimilate a primitive 21st century version of Earth, losing out on hundreds of years of advancement. Humans on their own aren't particularly distinctive. No reason for the Borg to go to all that effort for human bodies and nothing else.

Maybe the Borg thought assimalating 21st century Humans was better as they made better drones and were less likely to put up resistance. Don't forget the Borg had already assimalated Federation technology from both the scans they got from the Enterprise as well as maybe some of the ships they might have assimalated at Wolf 359 as well as crew from them ships that might have been assimalatted.
    That or maybe the Borg just seen it as an easy way to get a foothold in the Alpha Quadrant and work from there back to there own space seen as they did not yet have transwarp drive or they did but it only went to certain parts in the Galaxy.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• AMKC wrote: »
    Maybe the Borg thought assimalating 21st century Humans was better as they made better drones and were less likely to put up resistance. Don't forget the Borg had already assimalated Federation technology from both the scans they got from the Enterprise as well as maybe some of the ships they might have assimalated at Wolf 359 as well as crew from them ships that might have been assimalatted.
    That or maybe the Borg just seen it as an easy way to get a foothold in the Alpha Quadrant and work from there back to there own space seen as they did not yet have transwarp drive or they did but it only went to certain parts in the Galaxy.

Then why not send a ship back before the engagement and just do it without the Federation even having a chance to know it.
    Like nearly all time travel stories, it sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Then why not send a ship back before the engagement and just do it without the Federation even having a chance to know it.
    Like nearly all time travel stories, it sucks

Awe because if they done that the Cube or Spere they send back might forget what its there for lol because they have gone back in time and before the Borg met the Federation lol. Problem solved:D

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,949 ✭✭✭DenMan

Really enjoying Deep Space Nine at the moment on Syfy. After the poor Chief was on Cardassia Prime on trial for aiding the Maquis, the next episode they introduced the Jem'Hadar yesterday and the poor Odyssey was destroyed in the Gamma Quadrant. This evening now they'll have The Search Parts I and II where we're introduced to the Defiant and Odo meets his people, the Founders (of the Dominion). Fantastic episodes! 7pm after TNG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Kevin Conway, a veteran actor known for his work in Gettysburg, Thirteen Days and Invincible, among others, died Wednesday of a heart attack, his publicist told Deadline. He was 77.
    https://deadline.com/2020/02/kevin-conway-dead-gettysburg-thirteen-days-invincible-actor-director-was-77-1202854335/

His numerous other TV credits include the Control Voice for The Outer Limits revival series from 1995-2002.
    He guest-starred on Star Trek: The Next Generation as the clone of the legendary Klingon figure Kahless.

What a voice! RIP Kevin.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Kevin Conway, a veteran actor known for his work in Gettysburg, Thirteen Days and Invincible, among others, died Wednesday of a heart attack, his publicist told Deadline. He was 77.
    https://deadline.com/2020/02/kevin-conway-dead-gettysburg-thirteen-days-invincible-actor-director-was-77-1202854335/

His numerous other TV credits include the Control Voice for The Outer Limits revival series from 1995-2002.
    He guest-starred on Star Trek: The Next Generation as the clone of the legendary Klingon figure Kahless.

What a voice! RIP Kevin.

Agreed, but I'm gonna guess I'm not the only one who confused him with Kevin Conroy - better known as the legendary voice of Batman in the 90s animated series (and since).

So I'm both saddened and relieved simultaneously!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

In relation to Voyager, what the hell was Janeway thinking? Tuvok had an out saying if they used a polaron burst they could blow up the attacking ship (who were being complete dicks anyway immediately launching an attack on a ship in distress over some petty territorial law they couldn't even have been aware of). Then Janeway says "no we're Star Fleet officers, we can't destroy them". Well 1. they're attempting to destroy you, 2. You're not Star Fleet officers, you've just discovered you're copies made of gel which is disintegrating, this is your last chance of survival, blow up the ship land it and worry about the consequences later because you will die otherwise and your other major responsibility is to the safety of the crew and ship. Surely this was somewhere in Janeway's decision tree??? Of course, Janeway ignores the sensible suggestion of Tuvok and Paris's entirely reasonable objections and gets them all killed! Course Oblivion is kind of like if reality hit Voyager, they would have been dead multiple times over due to Janeway's stupid decisions as when she flew through a binary star to get rid of the aliens and by plot armour managed not to rip the ship in half. Course Oblivion is a uniquely horrible episode though, it's just nasty, they don't even get remembered, just end up as galactic soup which the real Voyager crew encounter and go, hey ho hum, this episode is done.

• In relation to Voyager, what the hell was Janeway thinking? Tuvok had an out saying if they used a polaron burst they could blow up the attacking ship (who were being complete dicks anyway immediately launching an attack on a ship in distress over some petty territorial law they couldn't even have been aware of). Then Janeway says "no we're Star Fleet officers, we can't destroy them". Well 1. they're attempting to destroy you, 2. You're not Star Fleet officers, you've just discovered you're copies made of gel which is disintegrating, this is your last chance of survival, blow up the ship land it and worry about the consequences later because you will die otherwise and your other major responsibility is to the safety of the crew and ship. Surely this was somewhere in Janeway's decision tree??? Of course, Janeway ignores the sensible suggestion of Tuvok and Paris's entirely reasonable objections and gets them all killed! Course Oblivion is kind of like if reality hit Voyager, they would have been dead multiple times over due to Janeway's stupid decisions as when she flew through a binary star to get rid of the aliens and by plot armour managed not to rip the ship in half. Course Oblivion is a uniquely horrible episode though, it's just nasty, they don't even get remembered, just end up as galactic soup which the real Voyager crew encounter and go, hey ho hum, this episode is done.

****ing hated that episode.

****ing hated that episode.

Why did you hate it? I hated the Neelix death ep, like he almost commits suicide and in the last 2 minutes everything is sorted out with no consequences, it was a great episode until that last scene. The guy had just had his whole existential world view shattered and was going to off himself after a nightmarish vision and then Naomi Wildman appears and asks him to scare away the monster or some such and it's all magically ok again, I'll have whatever the scriptwriters were on when they were writing that conclusion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

in the first episode of voyager you see the commander and doctor both act like @ssholes, before they are killed and replaced by chakotay and the EMH.

I wondered if those 2 were selected for their positions by janeway, as janeway herself was a dogmatic, ignorant, self righteous knowall who did what suited her and used starfleet regulations only when it suited her. Those 2 characters seemed to be typical lap dogs for janeway.

in the first episode of voyager you see the commander and doctor both act like @ssholes, before they are killed and replaced by chakotay and the EMH.

I wondered if those 2 were selected for their positions by janeway, as janeway herself was a dogmatic, ignorant, self righteous knowall who did what suited her and used starfleet regulations only when it suited her. Those 2 characters seemed to be typical lap dogs for janeway.

No wonder she was promoted to admiralty while Picard, who saved the human race on multiple occasions, had to take orders from her. I guess it reflects real life in that way, **** floats.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

No wonder she was promoted to admiralty while Picard, who saved the human race on multiple occasions, had to take orders from her. I guess it reflects real life in that way, **** floats.

If you cant sack them, promote them!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Yeah, I always thought it was wrong to have her promoted to admiral over Picard....I know they probably wanted to show a crossover between shows but they could have used an existing admiral and it would be more believable.

I always like Nechayev.....she was a b*tch but great dynamic between her an Picard.

368100 wrote: »
    Yeah, I always thought it was wrong to have her promoted to admiral over Picard....I know they probably wanted to show a crossover between shows but they could have used an existing admiral and it would be more believable.

I always like Nechayev.....she was a b*tch but great dynamic between her an Picard.

Well they promoted Troi over Data who was a vastly more competent officer so it appears popularity contests in the workplace still exist in the 24th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Evade

Well they promoted Troi over Data who was a vastly more competent officer so it appears popularity contests in the workplace still exist in the 24th century.
    Data is a weird case. By the start of TNG he'd been in Starfleet for around 30 EDIT:19 years while Riker had only been in it for 6. It's possible he lacked ambition and only took promotions when he was recommended rather than actively pursue them like most other officers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,886 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You also had to explicitly apply for the Commander rank from what I can remember in a rather odd manner. Both Troi and Crusher got to Commander rank by passing an exam despite neither having any actual command experience. An exam Data should have had no problem acing funnily enough. I wonder was there a conflict between his ethical routines and the "send an officer to their death" test.

You also had to explicitly apply for the Commander rank from what I can remember in a rather odd manner. Both Troi and Crusher got to Commander rank by passing an exam despite neither having any actual command experience. An exam Data should have had no problem acing funnily enough. I wonder was there a conflict between his ethical routines and the "send an officer to their death" test.
    I think that's a not very well explained holdover from Starfleet cribbing US military rank structure. There's basically two parallel tracks, line officers and staff officers. They hold the same rank ensign, commander, etc but the nature of their duties makes them different.

Line officers are the ones that are directly involved in fighting like pilots, weapons officers, operations officers, ship commanders, etc. Staff officers are in a support roles like doctors, accountants, lawyers, etc. Line officers can basically ignore higher ranked staff officers when dealing directly with their field. The US Navy has a handy way of distinguishing this, line officers have stars at their rank stripes, staff officers have their corp insignia, a Christian chaplain would have a cross for example.

TNG had an example of this in Disaster but kind of got it backwards. When Troi, Ro, and O'Brien were on the bridge technically Ro should have been in charge as she was a line officer, Troi was a staff officer, and O'Brien was an NCO.

As far as I understand it you can't transfer corps after a certain amount of time in the US Navy so there's probably not be a real life equivalent to the test Troi took.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

That's the "bridge officer" exam. It simply qualified an officer to take command if required (as seen with Troi in command during Disaster, and Crusher in command during Descent). While it came with a promotion for Troi, it didn't mean she outranked Data - he was the ship's third officer. If Picard & Riker were unable to take command, it's not as if Troi would have took command and left Data at OPS...yes she outranked him by pips, but he was next in line after Riker. Similarly Crusher couldn't waltz down and take over in Engineering...she outranked Geordi by pips, but not in Engineering.

Data didn't need to take that exam (or may have off screen years back), because he already was a bridge officer...Troi and Crusher were not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Rank does not equal position.

Data would not be able to be Second Officer unless he had already taken the exam, and as Operations manager it was probably part of his training. I imagine Starfleet Academy has Bridge Officer training whereas Starfleet Medical (which Crusher/Troi went to) did not but thats a stretch. Acting Captain Data made Worf his First Officer over Geordi, despite Geordi outranking him.

Picard
    Riker
    Data
    La Forge/Worf

is the command structure. After that I wonder what happens, would Troi/Crusher be able to take command as they have passed the BOT. But. since they are both Commander, and Counselling is under Medical does Crusher outank Troi? Crusher does have seniority though.

Disaster was an unusual one, Ro should have take command, however with her history probably wasn't allowed to and O'Brien was an NCO. So it fell to rank.

• Advertisement

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Rank does not equal position.

Data would not be able to be Second Officer unless he had already taken the exam, and as Operations manager it was probably part of his training. I imagine Starfleet Academy has Bridge Officer training whereas Starfleet Medical (which Crusher/Troi went to) did not but thats a stretch. Acting Captain Data made Worf his First Officer over Geordi, despite Geordi outranking him.

Picard
    Riker
    Data
    La Forge/Worf

is the command structure. After that I wonder what happens, would Troi/Crusher be able to take command as they have passed the BOT. But. since they are both Commander, and Counselling is under Medical does Crusher outank Troi? Crusher does have seniority though.
    There's probably unnamed bridge officers that would take over before Crusher or Troi. Whoever the chief helmsman is would probably come after Worf, Geordi was seen in command when he held that position.

Troi might actually be more likely to take command than Crusher as if you're running that low on bridge officers with no appointed replacement the CMO is probably needed in Sickbay whereas having a feelings chat could be put off until later.
    Disaster was an unusual one, Ro should have take command, however with her history probably wasn't allowed to and O'Brien was an NCO. So it fell to rank.
    Although funnily enough a few years later O'Brien, still a chief, regularly gives orders to ensigns and lieutenants. In Star Trek rank is like the economy, it's probably best not to think about it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Evade wrote: »
    There's probably unnamed bridge officers that would take over before Crusher or Troi. Whoever the chief helmsman is would probably come after Worf, Geordi was seen in command when he held that position.

Troi might actually be more likely to take command than Crusher as if you're running that low on bridge officers with no appointed replacement the CMO is probably needed in Sickbay whereas having a feelings chat could be put off until later.

Although funnily enough a few years later O'Brien, still a chief, regularly gives orders to ensigns and lieutenants. In Star Trek rank is like the economy, it's probably best not to think about it too much.

In TNG he is giving orders as Transporter Chief no? And in DS9 he is Chief of Operations, he even joked about having to call Nog sir as Nog now outranks him but O'Brien is in charge, its weird.

In TNG he is giving orders as Transporter Chief no? And in DS9 he is Chief of Operations, he even joked about having to call Nog sir as Nog now outranks him but O'Brien is in charge, its weird.
    I'm not sure if he ever gave an officer an order when he was transporter chief.

They could have just promoted him to lieutenant for DS9 citing expertise in Cardassian systems from experience during the war or something. It could have even been made a running bit where people who didn't know him addressed him as Lieutenant O'Brien and he replies visibly annoyed "call me chief."

Come to think of it, he was chief tactical officer on the Rutledge too which implies he was ordering officers around as a petty officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I guess the role \ position comes with an executive authority within its domain but the holder can be of lesser rank... e.g. I imagine there are military \ maritime situations where the person is a particular role e.g. fire control, pilot can order those of higher rank.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

was there ever an update on Tom Rikers situation

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    was there ever an update on Tom Rikers situation
    Not since he went to a Cardassian prison. There was an idea for him to return thrown around towards the end of DS9 but nothing came of it.

• Mission specialists have control over their field of expertise and can have higher ranked assigned under them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

rewatching later episodes of DS9. Garek was such a class character

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

my favorite character in all of trek, .
    DS9 had secondary characters, like Garak Martok, Dukat, Weyoun, etc that had more depth than most of the other shows main characters like Geordi, Crusher and Troi from TNG
    or Reed and Mayweather from Enterprise, Kitchen Rat from Voyager etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I've just finished reading A Stitch in Time. Such a good continuation of his story and his background. Is reasonably priced on Kindle.

Advertisement