Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Steel Wool - Tips and Locations ( Dublin )

Options
  • 11-12-2012 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys , so i finally got my hands on some steel wool and just wondering does anyone have any good tips for settings to make most of what i have and also and location ideas in the N.Dublin region?

The beach obviously comes to mined but im sure theres a good few nice locations for a decent shot?

Im thinking of waiting on a the next proper clear night as to go out then and try do 2 shots one for the steel wool effect and then one to expose the stars and then overlap them?

Cheers

Ian :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Inside a structure with windows and doors works well (not your home), Beside any source of water gets some nice relection shots, tunnels and bridges work great for sparks, just be careful where you do it, people get quite frightened and might call the Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Be careful of your clothes because lots of sparke and you don't want your best jacket to be burnt.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/darrenflynn/8236220624/in/pool-greystonescameraclub/

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

I seem to be the steel wool guy when it comes to outings!

You want fine grade wool, the bigger grade seems to stick in balls and takes a while to get going.
    Get BIG wisks or make your own wire ball.
    Get as much air into the wool as possible i.e pull it apart.
    Bring a 9v battery to light it with, much better than a lighter.
    Swing like fook!

Best location I found was the beach.

Wear old clothing along with gloves and a hood of some sort!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Bull Island is a useful location. The bathing huts will give you that enclosed space while the beach gives you room to walk/run about to create spirals. You can choose the city lights as a backdrop or out to sea to give you a black(ish) backdrop.

On the November photowalk trooney got a photograph in a very low arch bridge somewhere near the Board Gais Theatre that has great potential. There should be a pic in the photowalk thread or on his own site.

Give me a shout if you are going and I'll pop down.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

That was this place

B0C804F4DFF24B859ED73A799BB9F8BA-0000314448-0003056334-00800L-4EEA7920BEA94C85AA43DCAA7CC43714.jpg

It's just off Pearse St. But it sees a good deal of traffic even at night and I'm not sure flaming spinning steel wool would go down too well with the passing motorists. I reckon if you were to take a ramble down sometime in the early hours of a weekend night it would be a better prospect. I too would be interested in joining in.
    As JKD says, old clothing is probably a good idea. I burned some holes in a nice down jacket I have on our last outing with steel wool burning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Bumping this thread for the craic. Has anybody any suggestions for locations in around Dublin to try this out.

I went to Bullock Harbour with a few boardsies on a previous outing. So looking for other ideas, thanks

Advertisement