Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Good edge of your seat books

• 17-01-2020 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

I'm returning to reading after many years away, due to having other things to pursue. Anyway the kind of books I like are books like the Bourne ultimatum and similar edge of your seat stories.

Any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I've always liked Karin Slaughter - Both the Grant County and Will Trent series.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I would recommend Tom Clancy books. Long but they have great action and stories.

Nelson DeMille as well. Cathedral was brilliant. Its about IRA guys taking over St Patricks Cathedral in New York. Written in early 80s so a tad bit dated but good action with twists. All his books are good. Wildfire was great. Helps that he used to be in the military and served in Vietnam I think so he does great action adventures.

Robert Crais too.Elvis Cole and Joe Pike are great characters of his.

If you want old school stuff, then Alistair Maclean is really good. If you like World War 2 era action then he is definitely worth reading.Guns of Navarone, Where Eagles Dare....All were made into great movies too but the books are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

For a more classic and local take I'd suggest The Informer by Liam O'Flaherty, from 1925. Plot summary via Wiki:
    Set in 1920s Dublin in the aftermath of the Irish Civil War, the novel centers on Gypo Nolan. Having disclosed the whereabouts of his friend Frankie McPhillip to the police, Gypo finds himself hunted by his revolutionary comrades for this betrayal.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

Mrs read a good one recently off amazon kindle and told me to read it because it was a good story. I cant read books but I read this one and she was right it is a very good story. Very misleading in what you think it is about and livens up after a few pages with clues but you dont realise it at first............. Ireland a place of evil .................and no it isnt about some priests and nuns.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B082SXDJHM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_image_o00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

its in normal book as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I was listening to podcasts by Val McDirmod today - scottish crimewriter - and really liked the sound of her stuff. She has a few caloboration crime podcast dramas and I think wrote the whodunnit crime series I used borrow from the library & loved - definately look her up.

Also for dark and gripping easy reads that will keep you up with your torch under your duvet at night Niccie French (may have 2 f’s) - forensic crimesolver pathologist stories series - might give you occasional flashbacks and nightmares but v good reads.

And for good ole all night reads of a tall dangerous violent stranger coming into town to check out the local murder/dissappearance/weird stuff going on it has to he Jack Reacher ‘novels’ -I think Lee Child is the author. Defo get them from the library as he has written tons of them and they are all very good but about e16 each for a one night gripper page turner!! Have fun!

• Advertisement
Advertisement