Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2021 General Discussion

• 12-01-2021 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭

I know it's early to start this thread but in fairness the winter thread was started in August so.....:P.

Last spring was one of the best ever - basically 2-3 months of sunshine and very little rain, resulting in a hosepipe ban. Followed by one of the dullest, wettest summers.

There is still plenty of winter left but I just want to start some early discussion on this spring, predictions, etc.

I would like a nice dry spring to give the ground a chance to dry out - it's been saturated since last June.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

A repeat of last year's glorious spring, surely can't happen again. One of the three months will be very cold and wet this time, probably April.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yes, no doubt we will be paying back big time for our wonderful spring last year. Summer can only be better surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

I thought that last year's awful summer was the payback for the spring. something tells me that we will get another dry spring, I just have that feeling.

I'd also love a cold spell in mid-march like 2018 which gave a significant dusting of snow, this was well after the BFTE event.

Whatever happens will happen - we'll have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Given the effects of a SSW can have an impact on the troposphere for a long while. Also if the Vortex does not fully recover and we get future warmings, it would not surprise me if we end up with a delayed spring. It would be typical if, after chasing a cold spell in the heart of winter, we end up with a notable cold spell towards the end of winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭highdef

I for one would take a poor spring if a good summer followed. Last year's Spring season was fantastic and very welcomed but there's nothing better than proper blazing sunshine with temperatures nudging 30° during the months of June, July and August often resulting in those balmy nights where one can sit outside in comfort after sunset.

Personally, I'm a lover of heat and sunshine and no matter how hot it can get in this country, it always feels pleasant to me. I do like a cool bedroom though so I have an airconditioner there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Wouldn't be surprised if this spring is the complete opposite to last yr. Cold and often unsettled.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This Spring could have a very active Atlantic period contained within it with plenty of rain or showers. There may be one or two cold snaps in March or even April. Not expecting this Spring to play out anything like last year's wonderful Spring which really was our summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭esposito

As mentioned above by Highdef I would prefer a crap Spring if it meant having a great Summer. Last summer was a horror show imo

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

esposito wrote: »
    As mentioned above by Highdef I would prefer a crap Spring if it meant having a great Summer. Last summer was a horror show imo

I'm not sure it is possible to have a summer as bad as 2020 again. First week of June was decent and it went downhill very quickly and didn't recover until the start of September. The worst thing about Summer 2020 wasn't the low temperatures or the deluges from mid June to early August but the complete lack of sunshine throughout July and August. It has to be better in 2021 in terms of sunshine at least.

Getting back to Spring it is possible March could be quite cold, especially if February turns out to be a cold and blocked month. If this happens it could spill over into March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Last summer was awful, it was just constantly wet all the time. I'm hoping we'll get a sunny dry spell at some point in either spring or summer. As I said in the original post, the ground has been saturated since basically last June, it never got a chance to dry out because of constant rain over the summer, and it's never able to dry out in winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

esposito wrote: »

It was and will make this winter feel even longer than normal:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well if the CFS is to be believed spring could be delayed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

I'd put my 5 euro on a bitter and snowy March and below average April. May being alright before a brilliant summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

John.Icy wrote: »
    I'd put my 5 euro on a bitter and snowy March and below average April. May being alright before a brilliant summer.

2018 so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

pad199207 wrote: »
    2018 so?

Was going more 2013 style but 2018 is a good fit for that pattern too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

Was going more 2013 style but 2018 is a good fit for that pattern too.

Indeed your right. A spring 2013 but with the summer of 2018. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Artane2002

funnily enough I also think we're in for a great summer, just a gut feeling though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Good summers are a rare thing to come by in this country, good springs are far more common.

2018 was the best summer since '95 for me but aside from that nothing really stands out. I was living in the UK for 2013 and from what I remember of 03 and 06 here in Donegal they were nothing special. I'd like to think we're overdue an above normal summer around here if nothing else

Funny enough we're probably overdue a boring forgettable spring as well, our spring's over the past decade have usually either been extremely cold or overly nice and sunny

Very unlikely to come anywhere near Spring 2020 which was perfection and our only feeling of summer in 2020. Spring 2021 could begin hinging on what February 2021 brings. If we are in a cold and blocked pattern for February then this could persist into March 2021 and deliver a cold start to the month. At some point the Atlantic is going to come back with it's game face on and bring several weeks of relentless westerlies and areas of low pressure. We are likely to get the odd easterly and northerly dive but these will probably be fairly short lived and hopefully the northerlies more orentated to the first half of Spring. Overall I think Spring 2021 will prove quite wet and some swings in temperature at times.

I've a feeling we may have a half decent summer this year, not 2018 levels but half way between a decent overall summer and a summer similar to 2019. Quite a few atlantic driven periods but some more positive pushes from the Azores at times and not the complete failure at every turn like last summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 windows 7 home premium

What's this spring looking like currently?

• Advertisement

.......anyone?

I just want this winter to be done and over with, we haven't had any nice weather since basically early june 2020, it's been raining almost non-stop since then. I am longing for some sunny dry weather, doesn't have to be too warm, just dry and sunny. I think we deserve it after the last few months we've put up with, not only the weather but also the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Looks like nothing but Atlantic south westerlies for the rest of the month, hints of high pressure building by the end of the month but too far out to have any confidence. Realistically its usually April before spring really starts to take hold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭esposito

Very spring-like day today.
    Much needed. Out for a walk in the park and you could tell everyone was happy and relieved that we finally have a nice day.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

Best day in ages in south mayo

Hopefully in the next week or 2 we'll get some dry weather, I really am ready for spring after all this cold and rain. From what I've seen on here there looks to be some dryer weather heading our way, though this will probably change.

Not too bad today, wet morning Galway. Incredible sunset now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Lads it's not spring yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It is on Monday! Honestly let's put the winter behind us, it's quite dismal to read rampers rubbing their hands with glee at the chance of more cold at the end of February.

Let it go!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Lovely sitting with a mugga tae in the corner of the garden this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lovely sitting with a mugga tae in the corner of the garden this morning.

Wonderful post! I am just in from my first real gardening session. It has been too bitterly cold to linger, but quite lovely today. I may well take coffee out later...the dawn over the mountains was worth lingering for.. sheer glory.

Advertisement