Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 254 - Khabib v Gaethje

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

glasso wrote: »
    is this sort of rubbish being put out there why he is so dominant?

he doesn't look that much bigger to me.

they both get weighed the day before and that's the long and short of it.

Khabib has a lean wiry build to start with.

Gaethje looks broader even in this clip ffs

It's not like McGregor fighting midgets at 145

It kind of IS like the mcgregor 145 comparison, it's just that it held as little water (no pun intended) in that case as it does in this one. Well, it probably is a bit more valid in this case given that khabib has missed weight and mcgregor never did, but as you said above, if they make weight the day before that's the long and the short of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,499 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

glasso wrote:
    Gaethje looks broader even in this clip ffs
    It's even worse than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

It would have been nice to see Khabib go a division up.

I have always said Khabib at 155 is like McGregor at 145. Near unbeatable.

Khabib up a division would still be top class and probably become champ but I think like McGregor at 155 he would be beatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I wonder will he (Khabbib) go into coaching?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Can't wait to see how Khabib's record looks in the record books

25-0*
    26-0*
    27-0*
    28-0*
    29-0*

*Looked slightly bigger than opponent on Twitter

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Can't wait to see how Khabib's record looks in the record books

25-0*
    26-0*
    27-0*
    28-0*
    29-0*

*Looked slightly bigger than opponent on Twitter
    Khabbib The Eagle Big man Numagomedov.

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Khabbib The Eagle Big man Numagomedov.

I mean, look at these guys! Khabib looks like he should be fighting Jon Jones! How dare be fight in the class they both he and his opponent made weight for?

1229237555.jpg.0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I mean, look at these guys! Khabib looks like he should be fighting Jon Jones! How dare be fight in the class they both he and his opponent made weight for?

1229237555.jpg.0.jpg

Yeah i didn't get the size thing and that pic confirms it. He made 155, don't care how much weight he put on over Justin. Now Nate, Nate was tree times the size of Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

I wonder will he (Khabbib) go into coaching?

He said in a video with him and Javier Mendez that he will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Was actually a banging card even outside the main, great fights. Only one decision out of six fights, and the UD fight was a good one too.

The main itself....amazing show of dominance by Khabib, made Justin look amateur with that unrelenting heavy pressure. Surprised Justin offered so little defense on the ground though, but he was off from the get go.

I mean, putting aside all that ludicrious "McGregor was exposed/found out/embarrassed" nonsense that gets peddled, McGregor's performance at the time wasn't bad at all all things considered, and retrospectively seems one of the better opponents.

Have to hand it to Khabib though, 29-0 and making the best in the division look like amateurs for the most part. An absolutely incredible fighter that got better with every fight.

Shame he's retiring, but equally it's incredibly exciting to see what happens the top 5 in the division now. Dying to see who Michael Chandler faces off against, hope his run doesn't mirror that of Askren!

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote:
    Did you see the weigh in? Nothing questionable about it for you?

Jones isnt too happy if he's bumped down the P4P rankings with Khabib's 3 title defences compared to his.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Jones isnt too happy if he's bumped down the P4P rankings with Khabib's 3 title defences compared to his.

I'm sure he can do a few bumps to raise his spirits

eagle eye wrote: »
    Did you see the weigh in? Nothing questionable about it for you?

Give it up dude. You're acting as if they were a weight class apart in there. It's desperate. You know it and everyone else knows it.

He beat Gaethje with pressure, with relentlessness, with superior grappling and, in the end, submitted him.

If you think that Gaethje's defensive grappling would have been dramatically different, if he wouldn't have allowed Khabib to mount him so easily and not let Khabib get a mounted triangle on him if Khabib was a couple of pounds lighter then there's nothing more to say to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,519 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I still think Jon Jones has a legitimate argument to make
    Khabib has lost less rounds no quesrion but Jones has gone through about 3 generations of LHW, and been beating top guys from the off in his career, All while being a bit of a screw up,
    Personally for me Khabib list of foes is no where near as impressive, Its not even as impressive as GSPs
    GSP also won two belts

If Jones wins the heavey weight strap Surley hw is number 1

But........Then there the failed testes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I still think Jon Jones has a legitimate argument to make
    Khabib has lost less rounds no quesrion but Jones has gone through about 3 generations of LHW, and been beating top guys from the off in his career, All while being a bit of a screw up,
    Personally for me Khabib list of foes is no where near as impressive, Its not even as impressive as GSPs
    GSP also won two belts

If Jones wins the heavey weight strap Surley hw is number 1

But........Then there the failed testes

Jones is a **** though. - 1000 GOAT points

dashoonage wrote: »
    Jones is a **** though. - 1000 GOAT points

If we're talking GOAT, then I think I has to be Jones.

Shogun, Machida, Rampage, Rashad, Vitor, Gus, DC........ he beat them all.

Is there a better CV in MMA? I'm not sure!

Regardless of Khabib, Justin will be kicking himself forone reason and it may not have made a dam difference but why oh why oh why do fighters get to the big dance (Costa last) and decide to change what got them there

Justin has NEVER circled and ran to the left yet that was his game plan, He alwayss goes in and out and fights you dirty if you get close he does not circle or in this case run in a circle,Yes he was less gun ho aginst Tony but nothing like last night

Its obvious from all week he disnt want to get put aginst the fence but knstead of doing what he always does and come forward so he does not get oushed back he circled to stop it., Its the reason he was so, nackered not because of the action of circling but because he had to keep thinking about circling and worry about it instead of just soi g what he does

Why do coaches think he can change his stayle in 8 weeks and beat a guy who just has to do what he always foes

Justin should have stood his ground and fought how he always does, i just dont understand not backing yourself when hou finally get the big shot,

We all wactejx because we thoguht Justin would stand and makenit a dog fight once was over occupied with what Khabib was goong to do it was over

Not taking anything away for Kabib but as some said he is a bit like Conor at 145, hes unbeatable at the weight

Do you lads think he could use his sfyle so effectively at Welter weight?
    It bit crazy at 155 there is no real high level wrestler near the top of the pile, 170 seems to be dominated by them so for me it would have been so intresting to see him up there

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Not taking anything away for Kabib but as some said he is a bit like Conor at 145, hes unbeatable at the weight

It bit crazy at 155 there is no real high level wrestler near the top of the pile, 170 seems to be dominated by them so for me it would have been so intresting to see him up there

No real high level wrestlers?

Justin is a division 1 all American who bullied Jordan Burroughs and knocked his teeth out in a match.

• Advertisement

No real high level wrestlers?

Justin is a division 1 all American who bullied Jordan Burrows and knocked his teeth out in a match.

Yes hes 31 now and he hasnt shown any wreslting in MMA for years (hasn't had to) When have u ever seen him shoot for a take down? He has never scored a take down in the UFC and has a 69% take down defence

Guys like Colby, Usman, Mia and co wreslte and grapple in every fight

By the way they wrestled twice and Burroughs beat him twice easy, (he did however lose a tooth from hitting his head)

MrStuffins wrote:
    Give it up dude. You're acting as if they were a weight class apart in there. It's desperate. You know it and everyone else knows it.
    I am saying it looked like a weight class between them. I didn't see anybody flatly deny it was the case last night either.
    Are you denying it?
    I asked you about the weigh in but you didn't answer. Did you see the weigh in?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

I am saying it looked like a weight class between them. I didn't see anybody flatly deny it was the case last night either.
    Are you denying it?

You're obsessed. It's weird.

Khabib would be a tiny welter weight. He's no bigger at LW than fighters like RDA, Cowboy, or Nate Diaz were/are. They are all tiny at welter weight.

There could be an arguement that if there was a 10lbs difference between weight classes he could fit better at 165 with the likes of Diaz, RDA, Cowboy etc, but the division doesn't exist, so the arguement is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

No, the lads at 170 would be too big for him he'd be mauled. Colby would be a smaller ww and would give him no end of trouble with his wrestling and unending cardio.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    No, the lads at 170 would be too big for him he'd be mauled. Colby would be a smaller ww and would give him no end of trouble with his wrestling and unending cardio.

Be so interesting to see him agisnt those guys,
    I reckon hed win some & lose some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Regardless of Khabib, Justin will be kicking himself forone reason and it may not have made a dam difference but why oh why oh why do fighters get to the big dance (Costa last) and decide to change what got them there

Justin has NEVER circled and ran to the left yet that was his game plan, He alwayss goes in and out and fights you dirty if you get close he does not circle or in this case run in a circle,Yes he was less gun ho aginst Tony but nothing like last night

Its obvious from all week he disnt want to get put aginst the fence but knstead of doing what he always does and come forward so he does not get oushed back he circled to stop it., Its the reason he was so, nackered not because of the action of circling but because he had to keep thinking about circling and worry about it instead of just soi g what he does

Why do coaches think he can change his stayle in 8 weeks and beat a guy who just has to do what he always foes

Justin should have stood his ground and fought how he always does, i just dont understand not backing yourself when hou finally get the big shot,

We all wactejx because we thoguht Justin would stand and makenit a dog fight once was over occupied with what Khabib was goong to do it was over

He should have hired you instead of Trevor Whittman

These guys look a weight class apart?

1229237555.jpg.0.jpg

Yes, I saw the weigh in. Khabib looked like a man who had been cutting weight. Still though, he weighed 155.

Get over it pal!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Be so interesting to see him agisnt those guys,
    I reckon hed win some & lose some.

He'd probably beat some of the lower ranked guys, but any of the top lads would likely destroy him, they'd be much, much bigger than him bar one or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Did Eagle lose his 1 euro bet or something .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Usman is a whole different thing and he knows it . 55 - 70 is a huge, giant, massive difference. Maybe he could do it but it would not be like when Conor belted Eddie around the ring.

Advertisement