Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway - Light Rail

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

cgcsb wrote: »
    Any priority that you can give to a tram, you can also give to a bus, it's just that those in power often chose not to.

So if they want a big shiny tram, sell them on it being easier to put through if they establish a priority lane for it now, and sure look, happy coincidence we can run buses down it until you can winkle out the cash for a tram from the Oireachtas!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Paddico

DaCor wrote: »
    There wont be a light rail in Galway this side of 2050 so there's little point talking about it

What I will say, is some of the benefits you listed above are already there for the existing bus services

Totally agreed ... unless the strike oil in Galway bay

This is on the long finger again

From the NDP published today

while the feasibility of light rail in Galway will be considered again as part of the review of the Galway Transport Strategy (which will commence in 2022).

So the next GTS review, starting in 2022, finishing in 2023, possibly 2024, will say a feasibility study should be done.

The feasibility study will be put forward in 2025, maybe get funding by 2027, get started by 2028 and completed by 2030.

Then it will take 1-2 years more while its being reviewed.

Then it will go through the 13 year process to actually get built, making it about 2045 by the time it will actually open. I'll be able to use the free travel pass by then

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

If anything, I'd say it's whataboutery to promote the bypass, "build the bypass then put in a wonderful but unspecified public transport system at some undefined point in the future" - aka prioritise cars but pay lip service to PT.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I like the idea of a Luas system for Galway. Claregalway to CC, and Knocknacara to Ballybrit/Coolagh roundabout area along the N6, with a lot of P&R provided as possible.

I would also be in favour of free/cheap PT.

• Advertisement

Expect such a bypass is never likely to be built, and if it was such a public transport system is even less likely to be built as a fortune will have been spent on a commuter traffic magnet. But thanks for proving my point about a commuter highway is seen as vital before public transport can be improved.

It depends if you are a pragmatist and want to make Galway a great place to live with good public transport and cars kept out of city

Except there are no plans, anywhere, to limit the access of cars when the GCRR comes along. The current GTS limits access on a very, very small scale but that includes the GCRR.

Therefore, if you wish to maintain the point that the GCRR is needed before bus lanes, bike lanes, paths, light rail etc can be provided, then you'll need to back it up with something as this idea does not exist anywhere except in your own mind, no offense meant.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Indeed, if the ring road was part of a major program to revolutionise Galway City Centre, then I'd expect it to get a much easier ride from all over the political spectrum. Even from an legal point of view, being able to say "yes, we know that the ring road isn't very environmentally friendly, but look at all the stuff that is, and will be done before or concurrently with the ring road" would make a massive difference to ABP and the courts.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people turn every situation into a binary choice between being a virtuous person if you agree with them or a flawed individual if you don't. No room for anything in between.

Anyway, there was nothing pragmatic about going for a 17km dual carriageway from Coonagh to Barna with tunnels and a large viaduct. That was always going to be a nightmare to obtain planning approval for, nevermind the enormous cost was always going to be difficult to justify.

Pragmatism would have been to focus on a new bridge, along with radical public transport improvements. Instead car commuters were prioritised and the eggs went into the extremely feeble basket that is a plan which was inevitably going to result in years of planning disputes. Little active/public transport can progress in the meantime as everything hinges on the aforementioned project. The whole thing is the polar opposite of pragmatism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Well you are looking at this from a "transport" perspective. And OK, from a "transport" perspective, it makes little sense to do the new road with no simultaneous sustainable transport measures.

However, if you look at this from a "promoting surface sprawl" perspective, then the new road is an extremely attractive proposition. If your vision for the future is extending the current low density development outwards from the city centre then a new outer distributor road is by far the most obvious technological solution. It won't do anything for existing traffic, transport or other issues, agreed, but it would be very attractive to some people.

Unfortunately though, to solve existing traffic and transport issues, densification is needed. I agree with the concept of "building for light rail and running buses on it in the interim". That's probably what bus connects aims to do, but it would be a much sexier sell to the public to say "in the future this will be the tram..."

• Advertisement

Feasibility study for light rail to be completed as part of the review of the Galway Transport Strategy next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭seanin4711

if we cannot even get a bypass or safe cycling infrastructure,we might as well aspire to hovercrafts or spaceships!

Isn't the current Strategy basically just build a big **** off bypass? It certainly needs a review anyway and maybe even moreso after ABP makes it's decision on the bypass. A Luas feasibility study is just a waste of money though.

Honestly, the best thing that could happen for Galway is the GCRR gets canned.

If that happens then I think the city will end up with an expanded network of high frequency bus routes with associated infrastructure, full bike lane network, increased permeability for pedestrians, park and rides etc etc etc with light rail possibly in the late 2030's

Advertisement