Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork - BusConnects

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Love the sole anti-Bus Connects comment on that video.

'Its all about the cyclists .. Buses only getting 3m of lane width'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The final revised network for Cork was published today:

https://busconnects.ie/cork/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Happy overall with the new routes, however, the wife won't be best pleased with having to soon take 2 different buses to get from from Skehard Road to Apple. I would have thought the 202 service was one of the most popular east/west routes in the city and something worth keeping?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The new 1 is the new main east west corridor from Mahon to Ballincollig as they want it to mirror the future Luas line and be a 24 hour service.

Based on the higher frequency and the 90 minute ticket there'll be a high frequency transfer from the 1 to the 3 (to Apple) in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭thomil

From my experience when I was still working at the Church of Saint Jobs, the bus almost completely emptied out when it reached Merchant's Quay, as back then, a lot of Apple employees, particularly those working the international jobs up in Hollyhill, lived in the city center and would get of either there or at the previous stop. A new crowd would then get on at Merchant's Quay for the rest of the journey. It's been a while since I worked there though, so I'm not sure how much this has changed in recent years.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Infrastructure plans are out:

Really ambitious but I do feel a lot of this will get caught up in objections. The plans for Ballincollig town centre, Kinsale Rd bus gate and the area around Sherman Crawford St come to mind on first glance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Construction not due to be completed until 2030. For the east west line would they not just build the Luas? Is it really that big of a deal if it’s under-utilised for a few years while apartment construction picks up? On this schedule we are spending 8 years between consultation, planning and construction to build bus lanes only to go back to the drawing board two years later to start work on tram lines over the same route to be ready for 2040.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Agreed. This chicken and egg situation with the Luas is helping no one. Work with the relevant stakeholders and if there’s a timeline for the Luas in place, developers can be sure that the properties they build will have good transport access.

Imagine being able to live waterfront near Marina Park with a tram that’ll take you to to town in 5/10 mins and Mahon in 5/10 mins. It’d be a massive sell. Rather than at the minute being 1km into a derelict post industrial wasteland with no decent public transport and the vague promises of a Luas sometime in the future.

(I note that there is a lack of future thinking here as well in these plans, see the N28 at Maryborough Hill or possibly long term the N22 at Poulavone).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,263 ✭✭✭cgcsb

First glance at the proposed bus corridors. Seems like a total dogs dinner. No serious attempt to provide CONTINUOUS priority for buses and cycling. Bikes are forced onto diversions to accommodate cars. Multi lane roads like south link and north link are completely left to cars, no attempt to reallocate space to sustainable modes. Turning lanes cutting into bus lanes at all junctions. This needs to be binned and started again, the brief hasn't been read. Also why do no designers read dmurs?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DylanQuestion

I disagree about the North and South Links. Almost no buses will be using these roads and there are no major populations living along these roads (at least the N40 and N27) with any type of access to the roads to make bus stops. As well as that, the housing near the roads are low density. Having bus lanes would be a waste of space as there would never be any type of need for them. The N40 is supposed to be a 'freeway' running through the southside (originally around it but we know what happened there) so that cars don't need to drive through residential roads or the city centre to get to either side of the city. That idea is very much enforced in these plans. As the Douglas Road will be local access only now with three bus gates, the thousands of cars a day that use the Douglas Road will need to go somewhere, even if there was a huge reduction in car usage in favour of buses (as is the hope). The South Douglas Road likely won't be able to fit this excess traffic, and so people south of the N40 and east of the N27 are being told to use the N27 to access the City Centre or the Southern Distributor (also partially included in this through the extension of Grange Road to Carrigaline Road, the Kinsale Rd - Douglas bus corridor) to get around the city west of the N27

As for the rest of your comment, I can't give an opinion just yet. I have only looked at the Maryborough - City Centre route and it looks good to me. Fingerpost changed to a junction with bus priority, a bus gate added to allow buses onto East Douglas Street (which is being made a cul-de-sac for private cars), Old Carrigaline Road made two way, bus gates on Douglas Road look practical, etc. Will be extremely controversial though

Post edited by DylanQuestion on

• Advertisement

How would local access only be policed?

Again given the level of effort that will be required, particularly in Douglas and the upcoming disuse of the N28 for traffic, its hard not to look at this and wonder why not just run a tram from Carrigaline via the N28, Maryborough hill and Douglas Road to the City Centre and just rip the whole band aid off at once?

Post edited by snotboogie on

Bus gates at Well Road, Bellair and Ballinlough Road. Cars can access their house on Douglas Road using the the various points of access to the road from South Douglas Road (like Belvedere Lawn, Rosebank and Cross Douglas Road), Ballinlough Road/Bellair, Eglantine Park and Woodview. Cars can freely move around the local access areas, but the three bus gates prevents someone from driving from Douglas to the city centre on the Douglas Road, reducing traffic on the road for buses while mantaining local access for houses and schools. I assume the buses will have a scanner so only buses can get through. I think there is already one at the back of Mahon Point

From the South Douglas Road to the Elysian, the N27 is gaining bus lanes in either direction which will require narrowing the general traffic lanes to 3m and reducing the speed limit. As Dylan pointed out, the rest of the N27 is a free flowing 100km/h dual carriageway, the buses will be using the adjacent Kinsale Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Some of the details are really strange.

I don't understand the motivation to keep the Tivoli Dual Carriageway a 60kmh Dual Carriageway for instance: traffic is often backed up there, I would have thought it a prime candidate for a bus lane, especially if it's all 60kmh. And some of the cycle routes are a bit off the wall, they're effectively "get out of the way of important traffic" routes, rather than actually offering anything for cyclists. Often on narrow, steep longer routes than the obvious route.

Lots of good stuff in there too though. On balance I would like to see all of it done, rather than none of it done.

Local councillors coming out in force against BusConnects. Some are openly calling for the entire scheme to fail. What a depressing little country we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Local councillors are elected on a couple of hundred votes. That is what critical infrastructure rests on in this country.

Absolutely embarrassing that we have these councillors calling the shots. BusConnects will die a death at the hands of these dinosaurs in City Hall and the nimbys that will be emboldened by their stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Damn bus connects and it's plan to make owning a car illegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭thomil

Accounts like that make me despair. Spreading lies and BS without any effective way of taking them down. Kinda makes me wish we could approach infrastructure projects in a more China-like way and just send idiots like that off to labor camps for a decade or two!

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement

You cannot live in the city centre and expect parking on the road in front of your house. You can't even live in the city suburbs I think and expect that, but especially not in a city centre. However, it's just luck that some people have driveways and some don't. The city centre is hundreds of years old, built when cars didn't exist. The vast majority of the suburbs with spaces for cars are less than 50-100 years old. It's not a big City Centre VS City Suburbs fight. It's funny too that they seem to think the Lord Mayor is doing this to benefit herself, when she has nothing to do with anything and lives on likely the most controversial of all the routes, i.e. Maryborough - City Centre, whereby cars will no longer be able to access the City Centre on Douglas Rd

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Where I live, I must pay an annual fee to park outside my house. The only benefit I get, is everybody else has to pay an hourly fee.

Before this was introduced, I could not get into my house because of all the thoughtless parking, so I welcomed the charges.

Big houses built over 120 years ago or so, (before cars) would have a mews at the back, accessed by a laneway, for the carriage and horses. These mews buildings have generally be redeveloped into homes, with no thought of the horse or the carriage. We should bring both back into use - which would reduce emissions (well apart from methane and other noxious gases).

If parking restrictions were enforced, a lot of traffic problems would reduce. No-one has a right to park on the public road in front of their house.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There’s only one thing to do with social media like that - ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Risoc

It’s not just social media. Colette Finn was on Neil Prendeville this morning getting all the usual tropes from our Neil and a few callers-in.

“So the government are at war with car owners?”

“They want cashless transport. So they’re at war with old people now too.”

“They’re at war with farmers too.”

“All of this to cut twenty minutes off a bus journey. Wouldn’t it be better to spend this on houses?”

Councillors still trying to kill BusConnects in Cork. One if them tried to bring a motion of no confidence in BusConnects to a vote of the council 😭. This country is going nowhere when you're dealing with this level of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

Amazing…an article discussing opposition to the plan which doesn’t mention Terry Shannon. That’s a first.

This is doomed. Submissions close today. Nearly 1000 submissions and I bet most are against. Some easy fixes in my eyes:

• Make the Douglas Road and South Douglas Road one way in the opposite directions, with one bus and one car lane each. I'm not sure how to add cycle lanes without doing CPO on Douglas Road (i.e. felling of mature trees and knocking of a historic wall). Parts of South Douglas Road should be wide enough to add a two way cycle lane, and maybe CPOing won't be as resisted there as there are less historic areas
    • Remove any bus gate plans and replace them with priority lights to let buses get ahead (outside of Ballincollig Main Street)
    • On the Luas line, make the bus lanes run in the middle of the road to mimic how the Luas will
    • Retain all of the trees on Boreenamana Road. It and the Douglas Road are the main objections when it comes to tree felling, so should be an easy win to retain them

The consultants for this are very very against one way running on different roads for bus services as it inevitably means that on at least one leg of the journey a lot of people have a much longer walk at the end to get home etc. Case studies show that this difference is enough to put people off using the bus.

In general I would agree with you, like doing it on Boreenmana Road and Ballinlough Road. However, I personally think that the vast amount of short connecting roads between South Douglas Road and the Douglas Road makes it viable here. They could also route it down Capwell Road rather than going all the way down Summerhill South to make it even more connected, or else find a way to run it through St Finbarr's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Bit of a bump, but Ballincollig is festooned with anti-Bus-Connects signs

1) Save our trees!

2) Don't cut down 60 trees!

3) Save our right turn lanes!

I mean really.

Advertisement