Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Just bought a watch on Chrono24 Netherlands. I found this Dutch portal gave less expensive options than using the UK version and filtering for EU sellers.
    Anyone else use EU Chrono sites to find EU vendors?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭893bet

What watch you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Just bought a watch on Chrono24 Netherlands. I found this Dutch portal gave less expensive options than using the UK version and filtering for EU sellers.
    Anyone else use EU Chrono sites to find EU vendors?

What’s the web address for that variant ?

893bet wrote: »
    What watch you get?

When it arrives all will be revealed.

Cyrus wrote: »
    What’s the web address for that variant ?

https://www.chrono24.nl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Prices are the exact same for me. I checked against two different models, filtered to Europe and sorted by most recent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Easy enough spot the lads gunning for a new watch....pounced on that ye did :D

Time wrote: »
    Prices are the exact same for me. I checked against two different models, filtered to Europe and sorted by most recent.

Might be just the particular watch I was looking for but I found a seller who was slightly cheaper with free delivery than the least expensive on C-UK who was charging for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Fitz II wrote: »
    Easy enough spot the lads gunning for a new watch....pounced on that ye did :D

You're still in denial that you want another watch i see :D

Time wrote: »
    You're still in denial that you want another watch i see :D

Give me the few weeks of happiness. :D

• Advertisement

OK who here is making enquiries to the Taoiseach's department about that Millgaus that's been lying in the safe for two years?

https://www.independent.ie/news/8000-rolex-gifted-to-ceann-comhairle-by-united-arab-emirates-sitting-in-a-safe-despite-pleas-to-sell-it-for-charity-40172513.html

OK who here is making enquiries to the Taoiseach's department about that Millgaus that's been lying in the safe for two years?

https://www.independent.ie/news/8000-rolex-gifted-to-ceann-comhairle-by-united-arab-emirates-sitting-in-a-safe-despite-pleas-to-sell-it-for-charity-40172513.html

The tone of the request sounds very like a certain friend of the forum doesn't it?

The watch collector said: “As it is now over a year since your instructions were sought, I request that I be informed if a decision on the matter has been made, what that decision is, and if arrangements have been put in place for the disposal of the watch if it is to be disposed of in accordance with the reported wishes of the Ceann Comhairle.

“If a decision has not been made, can you please advise when such a decision will be made, and who has custody of the watch now. I am a collector of watches and wish to be informed of any sale, auction, or disposal by any other means of the said watch.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Mwahahahah - must be Banie the law student then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Mwahahahah - must be Banie the law student then :pac:

I can hand on heart say...
    the-simpsons-nope.gif

But!
    I do know who it sounds like!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Bit of frustration at Irish postal service.

Ordered stuff from AliExpress, just a €30 stainless watch bracelet, on 18/02. Dispatched on the 19. Arrived in Ireland on 1/03/2021.
    Still no indication of it being processed, Irish side.

A whole 7 days it's been here now.

I get a feeling there’s a glitch in their system, I ordered a few different items from different sellers on it 2 weeks ago and they all arrived in Ireland 3 days later, not impossible but free postage from China ? Unlikely. Hasn’t been any movement on mine either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I get a feeling there’s a glitch in their system, I ordered a few different items from different sellers on it 2 weeks ago and they all arrived in Ireland 3 days later, not impossible but free postage from China ? Unlikely. Hasn’t been any movement on mine either.

Aye, there may well be.

Mine says accepted by airline on 23/02, and arrived here on 01/03, which is not unusual by any means.

But as of the post today, there is still nowt, nor any update from the AliExpress tracking to indicate package processed.

Very frustrating.

A lot of China tracking is fake.

Here's 2 parcels (a month apart) taking exactly the same length of time to the minute to go from one hop to another. And it was the same with dozens of parcels over a period of months.
    ZByMc9s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

A lot of sellers are not real sellers - using dropshipping instead - so your order comes in, they wait until there's a large enough order and send off the order to the wholesaler. It's why something can take 3 months to "ship" from China (I suspect) - because when I deal with my alibaba suppliers I generally get stuff within a week to ten days.

Have two clasps coming to me via HK registered post (put in the post today) will let people know when it arrives (I suspect by end of next week if not sooner).

Edit: and sometimes it's not the dropseller who is delaying things - they could send on the order - but the wholesaler/factory only starts manufacturing when they get 100-300-1000 orders in from their various dropseller sources and then sends out the goods.

If people demand the cheapest prices that's a "price" we sometimes have to pay. Sometimes I'm about to order an item from Ali and seeing it in Ireland/UK and available right now for an extra euro or two - it's not worth the month's wait to get a 1 euro saving - depends on circumstances and the item of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I've also something coming from Kiev. It's been in Ireland for 6 days. Something is definitely up with standard post coming in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Thirdfox wrote: »
    A lot of sellers are not real sellers - using dropshipping instead - so your order comes in, they wait until there's a large enough order and send off the order to the wholesaler. It's why something can take 3 months to "ship" from China (I suspect) - because when I deal with my alibaba suppliers I generally get stuff within a week to ten days.

Have two clasps coming to me via HK registered post (put in the post today) will let people know when it arrives (I suspect by end of next week if not sooner).

Dropshipping really makes me angry, fair enough if they say it and some do but when they don’t and you only find out afterwards... for example, last week I needed some parts for a 3D printer in a hurry, I had ordered spares on Ali Ex but broke the part in the meantime so went to look for an Irish supplier with them in stock, checked if they were in stock and ordered them thinking I’d have them in a day or two... until I got the tracking number... parts are coming from Northern Europe and are not expected until after the original and much cheaper parts on the way from China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Wibbs wrote: »
    up until the mid 90's there was the sense you couldn't give Daytonas away.

There's a nice white dial Daytona 116520 on TZ at the moment. Asking £14.5k which is below any other in the UK (or the EU)

Interestingly the ad links to the watch being sold previously on the forum, both times in 2017 and both for around £8k. Looks like most of the price hike is very recent.

My theory is that with Brexit people here are still ordering stuff online from the UK like nothing's happened and this is increasing the workload on customs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

unkel wrote: »
    There's a nice white dial Daytona 116520 on TZ at the moment. Asking £14.5k which is below any other in the UK (or the EU)
    Sadly I can't see that forum since I appear to have had my account frozen for some reason(and none was given). :confused:
    Interestingly the ad links to the watch being sold previously on the forum, both times in 2017 and both for around £8k. Looks like most of the price hike is very recent.
    It is. Like I was saying in another thread recently the vibe on the web among watch nuts and dealers is that people have been talking about a Rolex "bubble" for donkey's years. They really haven't. It's pretty much all happened within the last five years. They were never a cheap as chips watch secondhand. Even when I was a kid looking at watches in general auctions here Rolex would get more interest than say Rotaries and the like, but about the same as Omega, Longines and Seiko funny enough. The watches that got most interest were gold examples, regardless of the branding, but you'd see more gold Rolex show up in general. Steel Rolex weren't a thing at all really.

Plus even that far back their designs were consistent/stale/safe[delete as applicable] so wearing a ten year old one wouldn't look out of place, whereas as a ten year old Omega could look unfashionable. That was very clever on Rolex's part and remains so.

Either way they were cheaper second hand, even still under guarantee second hand compared to new and if you wanted one there was no talk of waiting times. Again that's a very recent thing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This being newly middle aged lark?
    Its a pain in the hole! I'm sitting through a politics tutorial a the moment that I just now found out I didnn't actually have to even attend once I'd made a written submission :mad::mad:
    To top that particular bit of my day off, there is a head melt who has spent 3 weeks on the whatsapp group being babystepped through her assignments in huggy, lovey don't stress nonsense.
    This girl is either a grade A idiot, or a gold-plated genius who has managed to get others to do her work!
    If its the latter? Honestly more power to her...

Anyway this morning I found her in my group :eek:
    It is unfortunately for the world, very much the former and compounded by being a yank!:D

I developed connection problems and have gone back to watching my GME shares climb and climb ;)
    Its hard to be a student when my chance at capitalist utopia is growing by the hr!

mailforkev wrote: »
    Apart from the fact that it uses pins rather than screws and has no micro-adjustment, it's a great feeling bracelet. The whole thing in general feels a bit more meaty than a similar vintage Sub.

Think I paid around 800 GBP for it, back in the good old days when watches were less of an arm and a leg purchase. Wish I'd stocked up on a few other watches back then!

It even has a lovely bottom (mine is an early one that doesn't have the additional engraving).

Kev they all have lovely bottoms. I agree but we have to live in the present (Wibbs is exempted). Watches are hot at the moment and the number of people collecting is higher than ever. Good solid classics like the SMP, Sub, datejust are solid buys at any time.

Take a look at this for example. The Chrono value on a AP Royal Oak Chrono.

Screenshot-2021-03-10-113810.jpg

Now is you got in in 2014 happy days, but back then things were not as they are now, people were not clambouring to get these watches and also there was a deep recession. The graph shows a steady trend upwards and this is likely to continue as RRP slowly creeps. Same with a sub no matter when you buy in you are likely to get back your money. Sure there will be variations but over the long term you either buy now or pay more later.

Queue bubble bursting calls.

So far these watches (classic models from well established brands) I dont think you need to find the "next big thing" the next thing will be the current big thing. Recessions, pandemics, tech bubbles dont seem to massively or permanently effect value.

Now Wibbs will tell us about something from the 1970's

On a more watch related note.

I was watching the pawn programme on ITV last night.
    Quite a lovely trip of watches, an Omega Apollo 15 speedie, a ulysee nardin 18k twin register chrono and an IWC GST titanium perpetual chrono.
    Think the trio of watches were bought for 18k, with the IWC being the vast bulk of the price.

Now, the IWC is a stunning technical feat IMO esp at the price it went for, I think it was £9k!
    Chrono24 creeping shows them priced lower.
    But the UN was beautiful.

Anyway, now I may want an IWC perpetual chrono.
    I am not buying 1!
    200% not buying 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

banie01 wrote: »
    On a more watch related note.

I was watching the pawn programme on ITV last night.
    Quite a lovely trip of watches, an Omega Apollo 15 speedie, a ulysee nardin 18k twin register chrono and an IWC GST titanium perpetual chrono.
    Think the trio of watches were bought for 18k, with the IWC being the vast bulk of the price.

Now, the IWC is a stunning technical feat IMO esp at the price it went for, I think it was £9k!
    Chrono24 creeping shows them priced lower.
    But the UN was beautiful.

Anyway, now I may want an IWC perpetual chrono.
    I am not buying 1!
    200% not buying 1

Is that the Million Pound Pawn thing?

Not seen it. Are you a fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Fitz II wrote: »
    Now is you got in in 2014 happy days, but back then things were not as they are now, people were not clambouring to get these watches and also there was a deep recession

Any chance you can show that graph from about 2005? Or was that particular watch not around then, or even chrono24? :p For any other highish end watch would do too, maybe just a submariner?

Would be interested to see the effect (if any) of the peak and the recession and the current run up

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Is that the Million Pound Pawn thing?

Not seen it. Are you a fan?

Yeah it's like a new version of Posh Pawn, the lad from Sheffield is the only face I know from the "old" show.

I'm not a fan tbh, but I do find myself keeping an eye on it for watches.
    I think so far they've had a Patek, a fake Daytona, a fake Rolex in 18ct case and band, a pocket watch in a gold case.
    Rose gold Daytona, and watches mentioned earlier were on last night.

I find it a test of knowledge tbh, it's v interesting.
    The fake Daytona had the lec but I think it was the weight was off as I never saw him pop the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

Wibbs, I think that one exception to the Rolex bubble is that they have almost ceased to be a watch brand and have become a commodity thats being traded for its value. The brand is just so big in America now. On top of that, Covid has generally only made the type of people that buy watches richer. I really can't see anything changing for a long time with rolex mania.

Advertisement