Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are your predictions for the 2020's?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Andreas77 wrote: »
    I'm hoping to meet a lady who is a dog in the bedroom, very dirty, down for whatever, including ass play.

You'll be able to get a very realistic robot to do that by the end of the 2020s, I reckon, given the advances in that field.
    Marhay70 wrote: »
    One thing I can absolutely guarantee is that Leo Varadkar will still be a narcissistic ar*ehole.

He'll be off to Brussels after the next election, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Berserker wrote: »

He'll be off to Brussels after the next election, surely?

He could be off to the moon for all I know but he'll still be a narcissistic ar*ehole

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Climate anxiety will be on the increase

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

The narcissistic end of the world complex present in every generation will still be there, most likely killing us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

GooglePlus wrote: »
    The narcissistic end of the world complex present in every generation will still be there, most likely killing us all.

It hasn't killed all the other generations, so why should we be any different? Mankind will endure in some form of civilisation until a catastrophe arrives which makes the planet fully uninhabitable, an asteroid, a nuclear conflict, the eruption of the Yellowstone caldera or a major change in solar activity. Climate change isn't enough to end things on its own, there will be moderate zones to dwell in even in the worst case scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Climate anxiety will be on the increase

I don't believe that climate anxiety exists. In the past couple of weeks the toy ads have gone into overdrive and almost all of them are plastic. Anyone who buys them and says they're concerned about the environment or their kids/grandkids future because of climate change, deserves a swift boot up the arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Forgot to add that the annual poppy and Twelfth threads on boards will be as lively as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Berserker wrote: »
    Forgot to add that the annual poppy and Twelfth threads on boards will be as lively as ever.

It won't because boards is dieing a death. Id say by 2025 it will be just a few auld codgers like meself making a poppy thread purely for nostalgic reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

My new food company will become a roaring success. It’s local, free-range, artisan, high protein, and cleverly packaged. Yes, Soylent Green will be a brand you will be hearing lots about.

I think people are going to get as tired of the talk about climate change as they have about Brexit. I think that people are sick and tired of being lectured on environmental policy by children who have no concept of economic reality and that there's going to be a backlash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

blueshade wrote: »
    I think people are going to get as tired of the talk about climate change as they have about Brexit. I think that people are sick and tired of being lectured on environmental policy by children who have no concept of economic reality and that there's going to be a backlash.

I don’t agree, because most children will be adults by then and will be working and climate change will be more prominent and the only people left trying to ignore it will be old fogeys who are out of touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I predict government will ban cat ownership in Ireland.

Experts will have come to the conclusion that cats are one of the greatest threats to native wildlife and will lobby government and succeed in getting cats outlawed.

Bounties of €20/head will be placed on cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭blackcard

I predict that in 2029 there will be a thread on boards looking for predictions for the 2030's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shady Grady

That we will be more screwed than we are this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Would it be obvious to suggest another strong conflict ? Seems likely with the rise of China, Russia flexing in recent years, US reminding them both they are the top dogs. It will probably all start in the middle east to. This modern world we live in is still unstable enough for another world war. There will be DIY Nuclear fallout shelters in Argos !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The brits will be still discussing leaving the EU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Relax The Cax

Brexit till wont have happened.

I still wont give a flying rats hairy ass about climate change.

zig wrote: »
    I don’t agree, because most children will be adults by then and will be working and climate change will be more prominent and the only people left trying to ignore it will be old fogeys who are out of touch.

Yes, most of the children will be adults with rent/mortgages to pay, along with food bills, utility bills etc. By which stage they'll probably have figured out the reality of life and not be so fricking naive. Of course many of them won't be able to afford to rent or buy so will possibly be still living at home with the old fogeys who still pay the mortgage as well as put food on the table and keep the electricity on. No doubt they'll still be lecturing the old fogeys though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    It hasn't killed all the other generations, so why should we be any different? Mankind will endure in some form of civilisation until a catastrophe arrives which makes the planet fully uninhabitable, an asteroid, a nuclear conflict, the eruption of the Yellowstone caldera or a major change in solar activity. Climate change isn't enough to end things on its own, there will be moderate zones to dwell in even in the worst case scenario.

That's my point exactly.

Every generation has had their extinction event on the tip of the tongue, expecting it all to end on their watch.

People don't like to accept the fact that they're insignificant. Our generation will be forgotten, just like the rest and life will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Octogenarians will become sexy. I can hope, can't I?

• Advertisement

Here is a thread started in 2009 that predicted the events of 2010-2019

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055725850

How many of these predictions came true? :rolleyes:

I just went over and had a look. Most of them will need to come on strong in the next forty-one days to have much chance. But one did say the world would not end in 2012, so there's one right. Probably all the ones that I can't verify from this distance have also come true.

There wasn't one murmur about Trump, so no Nostradamus awards.

Okay so here are some serious predictions, I just read the thread and can agree with about half of them so I will add some different ones ...

(a) Pope Francis will be forced to retire like Benedict was, and there will be a return to more traditional papacy.

(b) Trump will easily win re-election after the impeachment farce goes nowhere and Liz Warren loses almost every state in the electoral college.

(c) Trump will then become ill and either die or be forced to hand over to Pence who will continue to be his vice president through the election.

(d) Civil war will break out in both the United States and Canada over cultural and economic issues. This will lead to the creation of several new political entities, east, central and western regions forming unions across the current border. This will be fairly messy and violent in some parts and the governments will not recognize each other as equals.

(e) That will lead to a power vacuum in which China becomes the de facto leading superpower. They will make aggressive moves of various kinds in eastern Asia.

(f) There will be political unrest in Europe too but it will be subdued compared to North America, in part because the population are disarmed and cannot do much to fight off any enforcement of national sovereignty. But there will be wild swings of policy as pro- and anti-green economy parties come and go. This will lead to a lot of economic uncertainty. Ireland will stay roughly as it is today and prosper because Irish people are generally smart enough to see that a middle course is best. If they don't, I will be over to kick ass because I want this prediction to be entirely correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Having popped over to that teens prediction thread for a quick read and a long head shake, I'll happily declare now that the 2020s will be much the same as now with nobody rocking the boat either politically or technologically.
    If I go out on a limb at all - I predict relative global economic stagnation for most of the decade, with the exception of the developing world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Okay so here are some serious predictions...
    (a) Pope Francis will be forced to retire like Benedict was, and there will be a return to more traditional papacy.
    Could be that 'Pete the Roman' is the final Pope, he has a fair few years left, they (RCC) will lean towards a unified/universal church of sorts (for survial), after realising that single dudes and altar boys isn't a good mix.
    (b) Trump will easily win re-election after the impeachment farce goes nowhere and Liz Warren loses almost every state in the electoral college.
    (c) Trump will then become ill and either die or be forced to hand over to Pence who will continue to be his vice president through the election.
    Agree, will win again over LW, with Yang coming close to DN. DT's health could be at risk, but more from protest than natural causes.
    (d) Civil war will break out in both the United States and Canada over cultural and economic issues. This will lead to the creation of several new political entities, east, central and western regions forming unions across the current border. This will be fairly messy and violent in some parts and the governments will not recognize each other as equals.
    Have to rubbish all of this. The US will continue to grow heading towards a stronger connections with Canada (not with Mex), and later seek actual unification with brexited Eng&Wales (post indie Scot-NI), after eating into much of their state assets such as the NHS. This will include the free movement of people and trade, with loss to Ire's MNCs as their CTax directly matches the 12.5.
    (e) That will lead to a power vacuum in which China becomes the de facto leading superpower. They will make aggressive moves of various kinds in eastern Asia.
    Not until 2030's will China be able to overtake the US across all theatres of operations. They will be held back with further trade wars and even widespread trade boycotts over human rights issues from asset rich places such as 'The Peoples Republic of Australia & NZ'.
    (f) There will be political unrest in Europe too but it will be subdued compared to North America, in part because the population are disarmed and cannot do much to fight off any enforcement of national sovereignty. But there will be wild swings of policy as pro- and anti-green economy parties come and go. This will lead to a lot of economic uncertainty. Ireland will stay roughly as it is today and prosper because Irish people are generally smart enough to see that a middle course is best. If they don't, I will be over to kick ass because I want this prediction to be entirely correct.
    Europe is at far greater risk of breakdown, just take a look at Paris/Barca for examples of large scale civil disorder/protests.

Italy and the V4 will seek independence. The German economy will crash, and will still also have to pay out for the next incoming 6 members. Young native Swedish folks will begin an exodus to the NewWorld, Eng and/or Denmark. Spain will continue to see Vox double their votes as economic migration continues to be an issue across the entire continent.

blueshade wrote: »
    Yes, most of the children will be adults with rent/mortgages to pay, along with food bills, utility bills etc. By which stage they'll probably have figured out the reality of life and not be so fricking naive. Of course many of them won't be able to afford to rent or buy so will possibly be still living at home with the old fogeys who still pay the mortgage as well as put food on the table and keep the electricity on. No doubt they'll still be lecturing the old fogeys though.

If you think this whole climate change "lecturing" thing is going to go away I think you're being naive. Its only the start, and for what its worth I presumably qualify as an old fogey as I approach my 40s soon.

mondeo wrote: »
    Would it be obvious to suggest another strong conflict ? Seems likely with the rise of China, Russia flexing in recent years, US reminding them both they are the top dogs. It will probably all start in the middle east to. This modern world we live in is still unstable enough for another world war. There will be DIY Nuclear fallout shelters in Argos !

I think major wars are less and less likely to occur as time goes on, with the increase in globalisation and mutual dependency on each other war is just way too inconvenient. Plus, democracies dont like to go to war with each other. Plus, humans in general are getting better at seeing through the idiocy of extreme nationalism, much like they are starting to see through the idiocy of extreme anything.

WW2 only happened because of WW1 and how the Germans were treated, and unfortunately nobody had a choice but to go to war with the Nazis.

WW1 happened because of idiotic extreme nationalism and gullible people. Now with social media, cameras everywhere and an increased middle class, the idea of heading off to fight a war only to end up having to **** through a tube or walk on crutches at the age of 22 isnt so appealing anymore.

Even North Korea are only using their nuclear programme as a bargaining chip for having a stronger seat at the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Eoghan Murphy will fail his Junior Cert again and to make up for the seven billion euro overrun on the National Broadband Plan, FG will extend Property Tax to people living in cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

It 'should' be followed by 2021. Fingers Crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭its_steve116

L*ve Isl*nd is axed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

My serious predictions?

1) Scotland will vote to remain in the UK by small margin

2) Another economic catasra**** for Ireland

3) Backlash to supposed liberal viewpoints/identity politics across Europe

4) continued environmental degradation with rising outbreaks of 'extreme weather'

5) Huge Chinese naval build up that will rival and surpass USA

6) Continued breakdown of US society and rise of separatism on a popular level

7) Putin to finally retire

8) Another war between India and Pakistan

9) Middle East to remain hot spot for conflict

10) Continued Israeli expansion into Palestinian territory

11) Turkey to reject philosophy and politics of Erdoğan

12) EU to become stagnant

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Advertisement