Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I will have loads of certs, no experience, what route to go down?

• 18-11-2020 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all,

Sorry, posted this in another topic but the forum seems to be quiet there so I repost it here.

I currently have the Comptia A+ I am on a full time Tech support Engineer course with Fas and along with this I am studying comptia security + in my own time.

By the time I finish this course I will have

Comptia A+
    Comptia Network +
    Comptia Security +
    VMWare Install Configure Manage VCenter Server 7
    Microsoft Azure Fundamentals AZ-900
    Microsoft 365 Certified: Modern Desktop Administrator Associate Certification made up of 2 courses :
    Microsoft 365 Certified: Modern Desktop Administrator Associate
    Exam MD-101: Managing Modern Desktops

Also on top of this, next year when I finish the security and network + exams if I pass I can also do another cert in my own time paid by Fas. Im not sure which vendors are covered but if i have time to do it I had thought about maybe CYSA Linux or Cloud + if its only Comptia or if i could choose maybe AWS cloud solutions architect or a further Microsoft Azure course.

I currently have 0 It work experience although the course has work experience at the end and I am hoping for the work experience with VMWARE as its local or another big company, I will be qualified as a Network support Engineer at the end of the course but will have additional certs on top of it.

I am not sure what route of career I would like to take. Security is interesting but can be difficult. Networking theory is a little boring I think but I would be open to it or should I go down the cloud route as that seems to be the future and the money is there with experience.

Any advice on a career path or courses that would be important for the cloud or security route?

I am looking to fast track myself in the IT field. I lack the experience but will have certs coming out of my a*se by this this time next year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

fergiec wrote: »
    I am looking to fast track myself in the IT field. I lack the experience but will have certs coming out of my a*se by this this time next year.

Basic enough certs to be fair, which are even more basic with no experience to go with them. Get a L1 desktop support role for a year or two and see where you want to go then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 fergiec

Basic certs yeah but a lot for someone with no experience. There are a couple of guys in my security + class that are network engineers or highly experienced.

As I mentioned the course is for Network support engineer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Basic certs yeah but a lot for someone with no experience.

They're worthless so, and will continue to be worthless unless you get the experience. Sorry to be the breaker of bad news.

Well I wrote about work experience with VMware or another above . Im guessing you did not read that.

In the absence of real work experience you should busy yourself with projects. Build your own lab network, use virtualization, install different Operating Systems, maybe try out learning a language, python would be my suggestion. Set up a github account and upload any code you write.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

denartha wrote: »
    In the absence of real work experience you should busy yourself with projects. Build your own lab network, use virtualization, install different Operating Systems, maybe try out learning a language, python would be my suggestion. Set up a github account and upload any code you write.
    Definitely this. Even better if you do something like set something up on the Azure/AWS free tier so that it's publicly accessible. If you can walk into an interview and can pull out your phone to show what you've created and talk through how you handled deployment, authentication, configuration and security, you'll easily mitigate some of your lack of experience.

cheers lads!

Blowfish wrote: »
    Definitely this. Even better if you do something like set something up on the Azure/AWS free tier so that it's publicly accessible. If you can walk into an interview and can pull out your phone to show what you've created and talk through how you handled deployment, authentication, configuration and security, you'll easily mitigate some of your lack of experience.

Not disagreeing but my lab at home is publicly accessible. No reason he can't do both.

Would you recommend getting a year or two experience as a Network Support Engineer and then going down a different route or trying to get work in a SOC (eg eSentire in Cork seem to hire level 1 without huge experience) or another similar job?

I think cloud or security work would appeal to me more than other areas.

Also any courses not listed above that you think would be a good compliment? eg Cysa, linux + aws cloud solutions associate, further azure cert etc....

Would you recommend getting a year or two experience as a Network Support Engineer and then going down a different route or trying to get work in a SOC (eg eSentire in Cork seem to hire level 1 without huge experience) or another similar job?

A SOC would be ideal because you will get access to huge amounts of software that you wouldn't normally get access to. The learning curve may be steep but it would give you a solid grounding.

I started fixing neighbours computers when I was about 14. At 19 I got a job in Broadband Tech Support. Did tech support for 3 years and then got a job as a Linux Admin. From there I moved into Security and have been working in Security roles ever since (13+ years).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

What other have said is correct you can have all the certs in the world but without experience there worthless. I wouldn’t put much standing on the comptia stuff. It will get your foot in the door for a level 1 help desk role. That’s really where you should be looking and get experience that way then when you have a few years under you are in a far better place to seek a more advanced role.

denartha wrote: »
    A SOC would be ideal because you will get access to huge amounts of software that you wouldn't normally get access to. The learning curve may be steep but it would give you a solid grounding.

I started fixing neighbours computers when I was about 14. At 19 I got a job in Broadband Tech Support. Did tech support for 3 years and then got a job as a Linux Admin. From there I moved into Security and have been working in Security roles ever since (13+ years).

I think the SOC centre would pay less and can have night shift etc but I see it possibly as a better place to grow while someone like VMware which is very close to the SOC centre do not have many opportunities after tech support engineer except level 2 and 3 support. I cannot see any cloud architect roles with them any time I have looked which is one possible route I would like to work/learn towards.

What is your job position in security if you do not mind me asking and what route did you go down after your Linux admin experience?

Looking at this Azure certification path, security engineer or architect appeal to me but I do not know if a position like that would be achievable in 3 or so years with f all experience.

https://www.whizlabs.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/azure-certification-path-2020.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. SOC has the advantage of being more 'pure' hands on security and done right, you'll come out with a great understanding of how attacks work from a technical perspective. If your end goal is IR, Forensics or Pentesting, it's an excellent start.

Having only InfoSec experience can sometimes be a disadvantage though as you gain less of an understanding or appreciation of how the support end of things work, how to deal with non IT users and what pressures, decisions and compromises are needed for a business to run. If your end goal is a role like appsec, engineering or architecture that interfaces more with the non InfoSec side of the business, then having support experience is actually fairly valuable.

Advertisement