Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Visual Studio Setup

Options
  • 16-10-2020 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I've started on a new project and I've been asked to use Visual Studio for development.

Seems like a silly question (hence why I'm not asking any of the team members), but I've downloaded the shortcuts for VS and most of them do not work. Simple =things like Ctrl-C will remove the line.

If I enter Ctrl+ (User Settings) or Ctrl+K Ctrl +X (trim trailing whitespace) nothing happens, apart from a popup informing me "Unable to write into user settings. Please open the user settings to correct errors/warnings in it and try again."

In the user setting there is the following:
    {
        "python.pythonPath": "C:\\path\python.exe",
        "editor.renderWhitespace": "all"
    }{
        "workbench.colorTheme": "Solarize Light",
        "telemetry.enableCrashReporter": false,
        "telemetry.enableTelemetry": false.
    }

Where "}{" is located there is an error:
    [jsonc] End of file expected [0].

Having not using JSON before I'm not sure what is the problem. I've tried to add a comma after "all" but that does nothing. Also tried removing the last parenthesis and its contents with no success either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Three More Big Sleeps

Is that the settings.json in its entirety, FM?

If so, it's not valid: a JSON object can only have one root element (you've multiple - two :) - root elements here.)

Just remove the middle closing- and opening-braces (#4).

This is a handy site for validating json. It has more concise error reporting than VS's rather vague EOF error.

https://jsonformatter.curiousconcept.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Thanks - got that working and then mucked up the view!

How do I activate editor.action.trimTrailingWhitespace?
    I can only get files.trimTrailingWhitespace to activate, but that auto trims when saving. I don't want that - I just want it to update on my command.
    It would seem that the former is what I need, but it doesn't appear to be doing anything. There are restrictions on it - file must be in edit mode and should have text focus too, but I have that.

Oh, boy, flying blind here and from memory.

Assuming Windows, your User configuration json file should be here:

%APPDATA%\Code\User\settings.json

In addition to your settings in the OP, it should include this:
    {
       // Other setting pairs

"editor.action.trimTrailingWhitespace" : true
    }

Assuming the keystroke chord (Ctrl+K Ctrl+X) doesn't work for trimming trailing whitespace, then it might be:

Keybinding Broken

Have a looksee for the keybindings.json file (File -> Preferences -> Keyboard shortcuts) and ensure it contains the following:
    { "key": "ctrl+k ctrl+x", "command": "editor.action.trimTrailingWhitespace" }

Settings Override

There are three (or four if you include the default) levels of settings which will override the previous level:

1. User settings (which you have set and override the defaults)
    2. Workspace settings (which override User settings)
    3. Folder settings (which override Workspace settings)

Ensure that your User settings are not being reset in this instance. If it were me, I'd try a *.* find-in-files for "trimTrailingWhitespace" as a starting point.

See this link for more info on the settings hierarchy -> https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/getstarted/settings

I hope this helps, and I apologise in advance for the vagueness :) If I think of anything else, I'll come back to you.

Any joy, FM?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi - sorry!
    Yes - all sorted. JSON was sorted by your first response.
    Zoom in: ctrl + =
    Zoom out: ctrl + numpad-

Still feeling my way around. It was a shame that the Visual Studio keyboard shortcuts I downloaded didn't specify that zoom out was numpad -. I never though of that until I read it somewhere online.

trim trailing whitespace is ctrl numpad decimal. Not sure where they got that from, but that is what it is.

So, thanks for the help - it was much appreciated. Still feeling my way around the IDE, but a bit happier with it now. Was a bit panicked when it zoomed all the way in and I could not zoom out!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭28064212

For your own benefit: Visual Studio and Visual Studio Code are not the same thing. You should be clear about which one you're using, because otherwise you'll have a nightmare trying to find any assistance

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Glad you got sorted, FM :)
    28064212 wrote: »
    ... Visual Studio and Visual Studio Code are not the same thing...

A fair point alright, 28064212, though, imo, any blame should be attributed to MS for naming a glorified text editor after their premium IDE.

Advertisement