Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your favorite Distro?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I'm using Anti-X on my ancient Sony laptop and can't recommend it highly enough. All the other distros I tried were slow and sluggish on this machine, but Anti-X brought a new life to it.

I've even managed to get Microsoft Teams working on it, say no more.

Hows teams running? wine?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

limnam wrote: »
    Hows teams running? wine?

No, native.

Microsoft provides the .deb file. It was actually very straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭source

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    No, native.

Microsoft provides the .deb file. It was actually very straight forward.

It's on the snap store too.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rayzercork

i finally got rid of debian, wanted a change after 5 years on it and switched to peppermint 10 on both my laptop and main rig. both are working fine and ive been testing a few buntu releases recently too.
    also have mint xfce and kde neon on one external drive and had pclinuxos xfce on another but the enclosure packed up so had to rip it out. all decent distros in their own ways

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I haven't used Ubuntu for years but I must say, I'm having a great experience with the new LTS 20.04 release on my main PC. Everything works really nicely.

• Advertisement

main version is a bit too heavy for my old pc but the other versions were great, liking lubuntu & ubuntu mate in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Just as the Covid-19 crisis started, I revived a Dell Inspiron desktop (3GHz Core2duo) and installed Mint 19.3 Cinnamon with a GPU (GT 710) and the system has been flying with no issues. The support for third-party video drivers is much simpler than it was in the past and as a result I'm doing some video-editing and light rendering (openShot) on the CUDA cores.

Hat-tip to Mr Clem in Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Just as the Covid-19 crisis started, I revived a Dell Inspiron desktop (3GHz Core2duo) and installed Mint 19.3 Cinnamon with a GPU (GT 710) and the system has been flying with no issues. The support for third-party video drivers is much simpler than it was in the past and as a result I'm doing some video-editing and light rendering (openShot) on the CUDA cores.

Hat-tip to Mr Clem in Athlone.

Does he still run the project?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭10-10-20

limnam wrote: »
    Does he still run the project?

He's author "1", so yeah! :D

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?author=1

I havent gone near Mint in years but I've been running Mint 20 Cinnamon Beta on my main PC for the last week and it's absolutely fantastic. Such a coherent desktop experience. I can see myself sticking with it for a good while to come.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I'd love if Mint came with an rpm base system, as opposed to Ubuntu or Debian.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SpaceX

Over the years I think UBUNTU has done tremendously well — so that is my first option following by RHEL/CentOS, Fedora

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Am currently using Mint 20 now with Cinnamon. Made a balls of an install last night, so I'll stick with it for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mekirin

I've been using Ubuntu Mate for a couple of years now on my desktop. I have an old, aging netbook as well which I prefer using Debian stable with LXDE on. Seeing as my netbook is so old, I rarely use it these days.

Debian stable + KDE for the past 6 years or so. 2010 - 2013 I was on Fedora both work and personal machines.

I was on Ubuntu for a while but my main criticism of Ubuntu was Ubuntu forums. It seemed, due to the fact that so many noobs picked Ubuntu as their first distro, that many posters didn't properly get forum etiquette, like returning to a thread they had opened regarding a problem and reporting how they fixed it.

Forum mods often marked threads as "Solved", when actually they assumed it was solved because the user hadn't come back.

Debian forums, or mailling lists seems to attract more seasoned posters so all relevant information is provided and a solution usually gets posted.

Recently upgraded to Debian 10 and had no issues at all. One of the most stress free upgrades I've ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mekirin wrote: »
    I've been using Ubuntu Mate for a couple of years now on my desktop. I have an old, aging netbook as well which I prefer using Debian stable with LXDE on. Seeing as my netbook is so old, I rarely use it these days.

Hi Mekirin. Same here - I've got 2 ancient laptops (I use the odd time). Both are 10+ years old. Both run Debian Stable with LXDE and are still very usable. I think it's a shame that LXDE is no longer in development.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

denartha wrote: »
    Debian stable + KDE for the past 6 years or so. 2010 - 2013 I was on Fedora both work and personal machines.

I was on Ubuntu for a while but my main criticism of Ubuntu was Ubuntu forums. It seemed, due to the fact that so many noobs picked Ubuntu as their first distro, that many posters didn't properly get forum etiquette, like returning to a thread they had opened regarding a problem and reporting how they fixed it.

Forum mods often marked threads as "Solved", when actually they assumed it was solved because the user hadn't come back.

Debian forums, or mailling lists seems to attract more seasoned posters so all relevant information is provided and a solution usually gets posted.

Recently upgraded to Debian 10 and had no issues at all. One of the most stress free upgrades I've ever done.

Hi denartha. Debian is awesome alright. That's unfortunate regarding UF - I got started in GNU/Linux with Ubuntu and the UF were my savior as I had so many questions to ask. I never could get into KDE - MATE & Xfce are my faves - then LXDE. Do you not find Debian Stable + KDE to be very outdated given how quickly KDE is being developed?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Right. I love Mint and I tried 20, but unless it's my machine, it seemed to gobble up a lot of processing time and slowed things down. I didn't go investigating. So I'll never know.

This morning, I've reverted back to Fedora, with the latest release, and I'm trying to install a driver for my wireless card. It's taking it's taking it's sweet time, because I have to use my phone, teethering via blue tooth to use the net.

Love both operating systems, but I always find my way back to Fedora some how.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mekirin

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi Mekirin. Same here - I've got 2 ancient laptops (I use the odd time). Both are 10+ years old. Both run Debian Stable with LXDE and are still very usable. I think it's a shame that LXDE is no longer in development.

Definitely, it's a great little desktop environment for older machines. I'll have to try some other desktop environment when Debian decides to stop supporting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I've been using Lubuntu and Xubuntu on 2 old machines for a few years now.
    A Dell Inspiron 1300 with a 2.0Ghz chip and 2GB ram. Always been a satisfying experience.
    Also an MSI Wind U135DX with 2GB Ram and running Anti-X. Plus Bodhi occasionally.

I would have to vote for either Xubuntu or Anti-X.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I haven't used Linux for over 10 years but I wanted to compile a custom kernel to fix an issue with my android phone. It was something I always wanted to learn how to do but I never really had a reason to do it until I had this issue to with my phone. Which I manged to do - on Linux Mint.

I can't compare it to any other distro because I didn't have to try any other. I am astounded that everything just worked. My past experience of Linux is multiple issues with hardware compatibility especially, wifi cutting out or wouldn't work at all for example. But I haven't had a single issue Mint whatsoever. What an improvement since last time I used it.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I haven't used Linux for over 10 years but I wanted to compile a custom kernel to fix an issue with my android phone. It was something I always wanted to learn how to do but I never really had a reason to do it until I had this issue to with my phone. Which I manged to do - on Linux Mint.

I can't compare it to any other distro because I didn't have to try any other. I am astounded that everything just worked. My past experience of Linux is multiple issues with hardware compatibility especially, wifi cutting out or wouldn't work at all for example. But I haven't had a single issue Mint whatsoever. What an improvement since last time I used it.

There's a world of difference between 2010 GNU/Linux and 2020 GNU/Linux. I recall back then, my buggest gripe was getting wireless to work - now it usually works with ease.

was messing with mageia 7 xfce the other day, it pulled the wifi drivers right off the iso even without an internet connection. somehow installed dkms and the broadcom dkms while i was offline then ran the network setup wizard and it it recognized the driver and setup a connection with no hassle. think the new version will also have 32bit version so it might be a distro to keep an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

There's a world of difference between 2010 GNU/Linux and 2020 GNU/Linux. I recall back then, my buggest gripe was getting wireless to work - now it usually works with ease.

I recall hooking up a linux desktop to a laptop with working internet - via an ether net cable - in an attempt to get internet working that way. Don't recall having much success with that either.

Till recently I'm been more into dual booting windows with android rather than linux. The state of that is rather like how linux used to be, again issues with wifi and graphics and general stability. Getting better though, slowly.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I recall hooking up a linux desktop to a laptop with working internet - via an ether net cable - in an attempt to get internet working that way. Don't recall having much success with that either

Hi AllForIt. I'd say you needed to connect the desktop directly to the wifi router via an ethernet cable to get that to connect.

rayzercork wrote: »
    was messing with mageia 7 xfce the other day, it pulled the wifi drivers right off the iso even without an internet connection. somehow installed dkms and the broadcom dkms while i was offline then ran the network setup wizard and it it recognized the driver and setup a connection with no hassle. think the new version will also have 32bit version so it might be a distro to keep an eye on.
    Hi rayzercork. I haven't seen Mageia mentioned around for a long while. Good to see it's still around.

Hi denartha. Debian is awesome alright. That's unfortunate regarding UF - I got started in GNU/Linux with Ubuntu and the UF were my savior as I had so many questions to ask. I never could get into KDE - MATE & Xfce are my faves - then LXDE. Do you not find Debian Stable + KDE to be very outdated given how quickly KDE is being developed?

Ive been using KDE for approximately 18 years and love it, but the cutting edge releases are often buggy as hell. The forced move from 3.5 to 4 nearly made me leave because for a while it was almost unusable. I only recently made the switch from 4 to 5, and was pleasantly surprised. Last time I tried 5 it was full of bugs and unusable for every day use.

When it comes to stability and usability I suppose the clue is in the name.

If i need a specific package or version not available in the repos, i can always compile it myself.

denartha wrote: »
    Ive been using KDE for approximately 18 years and love it, but the cutting edge releases are often buggy as hell. The forced move from 3.5 to 4 nearly made me leave because for a while it was almost unusable. I only recently made the switch from 4 to 5, and was pleasantly surprised. Last time I tried 5 it was full of bugs and unusable for every day use.

When it comes to stability and usability I suppose the clue is in the name.

If i need a specific package or version not available in the repos, i can always compile it myself.

Fair enough. :-) Or a flatpak/snap could fit the bill for certain programs.

Running Fedora 32 on my Thinkpad at the moment and it's pretty nifty. The GNOME desktop environment has come along way in terms of speed and responsiveness.

• Advertisement

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Running Fedora 32 on my Thinkpad at the moment and it's pretty nifty. The GNOME desktop environment has come along way in terms of speed and responsiveness.

I'm back using Fedora 32 now after a stint on Mint for a few days. It's great, but no matter the OS, I prefer Cinnamon.

Advertisement