Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I really want to get Mame going on mine but I don't have a controller, I assume it's not usable without the controller? Anyone know a cheap source for a controller?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭dodzy

Clareman wrote: »
    I really want to get Mame going on mine but I don't have a controller, I assume it's not usable without the controller? Anyone know a cheap source for a controller?

PM sent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

dodzy wrote: »
    PM sent :)

I'm also interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Few controllers on adverts guys. Going from as little as 20E.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

Has anybody me signed up for GEForce Now with a US account? .. looks nice but I’d like it to be cheaper .. have a proxy for Netflix 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

ftm2008 wrote: »
    Has anybody me signed up for GEForce Now with a US account? .. looks nice but I’d like it to be cheaper .. have a proxy for Netflix ��
    'Family' gforce accounts an option?

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Few controllers on adverts guys. Going from as little as 20E.

Older models, should still be fine for gaming.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm thinking of buying 1 of these to pair with my Shield for the ultimate Mame experience, someone please talk me out of it or come up with a cheaper alternative.

Oops, the link would be handy https://www.ebay.ie/itm/8Bitdo-NES30-Arcade-Stick-Bluetooth-Gamepad-Controller-For-iOS-Android-Windows/272987474126?hash=item3f8f5248ce:g:eRkAAOSw1NFaN4hE

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I'm thinking of buying 1 of these to pair with my Shield for the ultimate Mame experience, someone please talk me out of it or come up with a cheaper alternative.

Oops, the link would be handy https://www.ebay.ie/itm/8Bitdo-NES30-Arcade-Stick-Bluetooth-Gamepad-Controller-For-iOS-Android-Windows/272987474126?hash=item3f8f5248ce:g:eRkAAOSw1NFaN4hE

Nice. I would think something similar could be found cheaper though.
    But that is nice. Chunky and handsome :)

At a guess, something like that might be found closer to the €50. But that is nothing more than a guess.

EDITED

After a very quick look
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/8Bitdo-NES30-Arcade-Stick-Gray-384044.html

Which leads me to believe it could be even cheaper again. I am guessing somewhere around €30 - €40 (Only because i know Geekbuying are quite expensive - usually).

DOUBLE EDITED

Seller will sell one for $45 https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Stock-Available-Factory-Price-8Bitdo-N30_60678897903.html

It was on Zapals for $42.50 but has since risen. I am guessing it will come back down.
    https://www.zapals.com/8bitdo-nes30-bluetooth-arcade-stick-gamepad-joystick.html

Also worth noting is many of these sites have coupons sitewide and for signing up, so you could possibly take another €5-€10 off the marked price

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Mine just arrived. Have yet to unbox but boggled on where to start and what to add on. Time for some fun...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

Mine arrived in the past week or two, added 500GB to the storage + also moved my plex catalog on to it over the weekend on a separate external drive.
    Some minor difficulty getting it to see the data on the external drive until I read somewhere you needed to move everything in to the nvidia folder it created on the external drive. Working perfectly now, really glad I keep an eye on this thread and bought one.

I'm thinking of buying a second 1 if they come back down in price, they really are a brilliant piece of kit.

So first impressions. Really good, initial setup was nice using mobile and without a mobile I would have been stuck as the default keyboard language is set to Russian, need to figure how to get it to match the language.

Had a look at GEForce, will probably sign up at some point.

Intend to put on
    Es file manager
    Aptoide
    RetroX, from the video a few pages back that looks great, hat no idea I could sub to old games. That swung it for me to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Taltos wrote: »
    So first impressions. Really good, initial setup was nice using mobile and without a mobile I would have been stuck as the default keyboard language is set to Russian, need to figure how to get it to match the language.

Intend to put on
    Es file manager
    Aptoide
    RetroX, from the video a few pages back that looks great, hat no idea I could sub to old games. That swung it for me to be honest
    Set language to US(ENGLISH) and that'll fix the keyboard

Intend to put on
    Es file manager

After the Malware included in it over a year ago, and other problems since then, you may want to look here
    https://www.guidingtech.com/53631/best-file-explorers-android/

Amaze is steadily getting better, but you could try them out to see which suits you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Suckit wrote: »
    After the Malware included in it over a year ago, and other problems since then, you may want to look here
    https://www.guidingtech.com/53631/best-file-explorers-android/

Amaze is steadily getting better, but you could try them out to see which suits you.

"AnExplorer" is useful for the Shield, has a built in FTP server that just works.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dev.dworks.apps.anexplorer

(It's called "AnExplorer" on Android TV store and "File Manager" for normal app store)

Intend to put on
    Es file manager
    Aptoide

That's a strange one ref the Russian language pretty sure mine was just English out of the box.

RetroX is absolutely excellent, makes me very nostalgic to watch the young lad get frustrated with the likes of R-Type and designing his own courses on excite bike. :D

Yup I'd set the language to English (UK) from the default. Will change it back tonight and begin slowly on the above. Cheers for the malware warning, had forgotten all about it but used it before on the fire stick so was used to it.

Yup, can't wait to play God's and hopefully they'll have Dungeon Master and Ultima. God there were some gems back then.

I'm thinking of buying a second 1 if they come back down in price, they really are a brilliant piece of kit.
    Did ya get the gamepad, CM ? The stick remote that comes with the unit is super slick. Love the volume control slider!

dodzy wrote: »
    Did ya get the gamepad, CM ? The stick remote that comes with the unit is super slick. Love the volume control slider!

Going through the Adverts process at the moment. The remote is brilliant, the only issue I have is when I had it connected to my Sony TV the remove was a IR blaster and was able to turn off the TV, now that I've it connected to my Sharp TV I have to use CEC which means I can't turn off the TV directly with the remote, have to go down to power control, first world problems I know.

• Advertisement

Coincidentally, regarding a File Manager..

File Manager Pro is currently free for a limited time. Normally €3.99 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tohsoft.filemanagerpro.v2

Being able to connect from a pc and drop files in is great, very easy. Made installing Aptoide very straight forward. Tried one or two of the apps on that store with mixed results but very happy with the purchase.

Coincidentally, regarding a File Manager..

File Manager Pro is currently free for a limited time. Normally €3.99 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tohsoft.filemanagerpro.v2

Can't find it on the Android tv store

Can't find it on the Android tv store

Yeah, it was fairly far down the list. If you search Tohsoft, it should be 19th app down that list, or search Applock Pro and find other apps by that developer.

I have the paid version of ES File Explorer for years and I find it great, the free version is malware'd to bits but the paid version is well worth it. I've the paid version of MX Player Pro as well, can't be dealing with ads to be honest.

I found none of those last night and ended up taking a risk with ES. Come the weekend though I'll spend sometime sorting it out hopefully.

Yeah, it was fairly far down the list. If you search Tohsoft, it should be 19th app down that list, or search Applock Pro and find other apps by that developer.

Cheers

Will have a search for it this evening when I get in.

Just on the ES Malware thing - I was watching a few youtube clips last night, a few of which were interuppted (mid video) by advertisements (porridge or bran flakes or something) which is something I've never seen before on YouTube (certainly not mid video)

Connected?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Hi

Looking at currently updating my Android Box, currently on Minix U-1

I mainly use it for watching films and downloading apps form play store and other sources. Also use it for Skyping family abroad Also use it for watching BBC Player(using VPN) and other players. What I like about the Minix is the keyboard remote but no updates to system in a while. Is there a remote with a keyboard on this and can you download other apks and load them up onto the Shield? Also can you link camera to it for Skyping via tv? Also can it be rooted so that I can add AdAway etc

I am not a gamer so won’t be using it for that purpose

cheers

Cheers

Will have a search for it this evening when I get in.

Just on the ES Malware thing - I was watching a few youtube clips last night, a few of which were interuppted (mid video) by advertisements (porridge or bran flakes or something) which is something I've never seen before on YouTube (certainly not mid video)

Connected?

That's happening on YouTube a bit now, it's annoying my little one no end when watching her cr@p on the tablet

• Advertisement

That's happening on YouTube a bit now, it's annoying my little one no end when watching her cr@p on the tablet

Yeah, youtube recently upped their game with regards to advertising. Adaway now requires a Magisk Module/SuperSU or similar to block Youtube adverts (or many of them anyway).

Advertisement