Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,789 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Invincible wrote: »

How would this compare to the Box in post 20 of this thread ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭Invincible

emmetkenny wrote: »

That's an M8 android, some have had trouble with the firmware on them, I got an M8S 2GB last December and had no bother with it. I can't comment on the Pipo X7, but michael99999 had good reports of them.

There's a dual operating Tronsmart Ara IZ37 that's mentioned in a Facebook group as being very good, has both android and a licences version of windows upgradable to 10 for free. Its $129.99

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I've had the M8 and the WiFi is touch and go. Didn't find the box great to be honest.

Much prefer the Pipo.

Thanks for the comments lads. This is going to be my first box so want something cheap enough to start with that I can muck around with.

Then once I get the hang of it I'll upgrade in a few months and sell the old one off :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

I've had quite a few of these chinese boxes, M8, MXQ, MXII etc and they all have their pros and cons. However if you have any idea or knowledge on how to root and flash a new ROM onto a box then by far and away the best box is the Nexus Player. You need to root it and put Lollirock onto it and once you have done this the box is 100% stable and plays everything. Its in a completely different league to the cheap chinese stuff. COsts a bit more as you would expect but it removes all the headaches and problems that come with the chinese stuff.

I've had quite a few of these chinese boxes, M8, MXQ, MXII etc and they all have their pros and cons. However if you have any idea or knowledge on how to root and flash a new ROM onto a box then by far and away the best box is the Nexus Player. You need to root it and put Lollirock onto it and once you have done this the box is 100% stable and plays everything. Its in a completely different league to the cheap chinese stuff. COsts a bit more as you would expect but it removes all the headaches and problems that come with the chinese stuff.

Where did you purchase this Nexus box from, any links?

I bought it on Amazon. Pretty sure you can get it on the Google play store too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

1GB of Ram?

1GB of Ram?
    Is that a question or a statement?

Don't buy it if you don't want to - I gave my opinion based on having a few of these boxes and in my opinion the Nexus Player is in a completely different league in relation to reliability compared to the cheap Chinese stuff.

There is nothing bad about the Chinese stuff as it's cheap and generally works ok but they are not 100% reliable and you will have some problems with them.

If you are happy with that scenario then buy the Chinese stuff or else pay a bit more and get a better box.

BTW 1GB of RAM is more than enough for the vast majority of people. All they will be used for is playing games and watching TV so it won't really be multitasking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

1GB of Ram?

While RAM may be important on the Android box as a comparator, its more difficult to compare the Nexus with an Android box on RAM alone.

Think Phones, if you're buying an Android mid range or top range then you're looking for a couple of GB, however most, if not all, IPhones are still only coming with 1GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Pocoyo wrote: »
    Dont get a fire stick!!!
    Why so? I have one with FireStarter sideloaded, running XBMC, Plex, Chrome, Astro etc excellently, it's a fantastic device to sideload apps to with great spec esp. compared to the likes of the MK809 (which I have as well with a cloned setup of Kodi).

http://sideloadfiretv.com/top-apps-to-sideload-to-your-amazon-fire-tv/
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/themes-apps/app-root-home-launcher-replacement-app-t3118135

firestarter_screenshot_01_small.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭SM01

I'm an absolute newbie but have taken the plunge and got the J-bonest box that's been recommended. I'll be doing some research while waiting for delivery however if anyone, out of the goodness of their heart, would care to take a minute to PM me a link or two to help me get started that would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I also ordered M8S today.

If anyone could PM me too, that would be of great help.
    SM01 wrote: »
    I'm an absolute newbie but have taken the plunge and got the J-bonest box that's been recommended. I'll be doing some research while waiting for delivery however if anyone, out of the goodness of their heart, would care to take a minute to PM me a link or two to help me get started that would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

sent you both a pm to email me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

daytob wrote: »
    sent you both a pm to email me

This is the man to get you started.

Him and pocoyo got me up and running. Legends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭SM01

This is the man to get you started.

Him and pocoyo got me up and running. Legends.

Daytob going beyond the call of duty to help - very sound gentleman.

Edit: and Pocoyo too. Thanks for the help folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

I ordered one of these the other day will here be next week I hope

108 euros on offer at the moment 50% off they have free shipping takes a few weeks or about 10euro I think for 3 to 7 days

All the reviews I looked at were good

I will post again when I get it

Features:
    PIPO X8 TV box with Windows8.1 and Android4.4 Dual OS
    Intel Z3736F quad core up to 2.16GHz
    2GB DDR3L RAM + 32GB ROM
    Intel HD Graphics
    Resolution: 1280 x 800
    Built-in speaker and mic
    Support Bluetooth 4.0
    Support LCD display
    802.11b/g/n LAN
    Power: 12V/2.4A
    Software: Youtube/ Facebook / Twitter / MSN / Skype / Calculator / Google Mail / Google maps / iReader / Quick Office
    Ebook: WORD / EXCEL / PPT / PDF / TXT / CHM/HTML

It also has a free year of office 365 IIRC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Enno amazing piece of kit apparently they tend to overheat but saying that i was going to buy one i just couldnt justify the price as my current box is more than i need.

....i still might buy one now that you posted that ya bollox. ;)

Enno amazing piece of kit apparently they tend to overheat but saying that i was going to buy one i just couldnt justify the price as my current box is more than i need.

I have the X7. Its excellent

• Advertisement

haha yeah I cant wait to get my hands on it :D

enno99 wrote: »
    I ordered one of these the other day will here be next week I hope

108 euros on offer at the moment 50% off they have free shipping takes a few weeks or about 10euro I think for 3 to 7 days

All the reviews I looked at were good

I will post again when I get it

Features:
    PIPO X8 TV box with Windows8.1 and Android4.4 Dual OS
    Intel Z3736F quad core up to 2.16GHz
    2GB DDR3L RAM + 32GB ROM
    Intel HD Graphics
    Resolution: 1280 x 800
    Built-in speaker and mic
    Support Bluetooth 4.0
    Support LCD display
    802.11b/g/n LAN
    Power: 12V/2.4A
    Software: Youtube/ Facebook / Twitter / MSN / Skype / Calculator / Google Mail / Google maps / iReader / Quick Office
    Ebook: WORD / EXCEL / PPT / PDF / TXT / CHM/HTML

It also has a free year of office 365 IIRC

Would this be better than the box in post 20 ? I still haven't pulled the trigger on one yet but I'm getting itchy fingers now. :)

Would this be better than the box in post 20 ? I still haven't pulled the trigger on one yet but I'm getting itchy fingers now. :)

wait a sec. for mick to answer

I have the X7. Its excellent

Do they overheat????

Do they overheat????

Mine hasn't.

And I leave it running overnight to record from XBMC and downloading stuff!

And have upgraded to windows 10 in the last few days.

I cant say there are heaps of these boxes out there I was itching to buy Droidbox T8-S but I like this it can be used without a monitor if you want
    the 108 euro version is 64gb ROM I intend to use it with http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400r?crid=26
    which Im using on a Sumvision cyclone X2 on TV
    Also kodi on a laptop hooked up TV in other room using same keyboard
    If your unsure maybe by a cheap stick or box and get used to messing around with it you can use it on an other TV later
    Check out that link I gave there are a few cheap options there
    hope that helps

enno99 wrote: »
    I cant say there are heaps of these boxes out there I was itching to buy Droidbox T8-S but I like this it can be used without a monitor if you want
    the 108 euro version is 64gb ROM I intend to use it with http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400r?crid=26
    which Im using on a Sumvision cyclone X2 on TV
    Also kodi on a laptop hooked up TV in other room using same keyboard
    If your unsure maybe by a cheap stick or box and get used to messing around with it you can use it on an other TV later
    Check out that link I gave there are a few cheap options there
    hope that helps

I've been running Kodi on my Mac for a little over a week now, thanks to the guys here for the help getting me up and running, just waiting until I get paid before I buy a box to plug into the TV to utilize the bigger screen.

I've watched a few movies on the Mac over the last week and the quality has been very goof and I'm getting the hang of navigating menus and content :)

I've been running Kodi on my Mac for a little over a week now, thanks to the guys here for the help getting me up and running, just waiting until I get paid before I buy a box to plug into the TV to utilize the bigger screen.

I've watched a few movies on the Mac over the last week and the quality has been very goof and I'm getting the hang of navigating menus and content :)

ah ok you have the gist of it
    All i can say is your getting a windows pc and a android box/tablet all in one
    ill pm you with a link to a website you will find lots of info on KODI IPTV etc there check out his youtube channel also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

is it possible to have Kodi on windows laptop without android box?

• Advertisement

is it possible to have Kodi on windows laptop without android box?

Yes. I have it on my pipo x7 running Windows 10. Its brilliant. Seems a lot more stable than the android boxes..

Advertisement