Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking Advice on an Upgrade from the R9 290 GPU Please.

• 23-11-2020 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi,

I only tend to play Football Manager 2021 and use the PC as a workstation. The current GPU has encountered freezing, artifacting & errors. I've also cleared out the case with dust recently too.

I'd my mind set on an MSI RX580 8GB recently, but want to seek advice before I decide to purchase. Should I go better?

I'm hoping to get at least another 4 years out of the PC. I don't plan on overclocking.

My budget is no more than €250. I'm open to hearing suggestions.

I've included a link to my Pcpartpicker build too:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qyNqdD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

I would go the opposite way, the FX is a terrible bottleneck to an RX580, it would have been to the R9 290 as well.

Are you playing other games or is it just Championship Manager type stuff? I would just pick up a 2nd hand GPU for €50.

Also, your ram, if it is 2x4gb and 1x8gb, it's running in single channel. That can affect performance, anything from barely at all to a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭SeanW

You would be a generation behind with an RX580. Currently, the best GPUs by AMD for entry to mid level prices are the Radeon RX 5000 series. You might want to consider a Radeon RX 5500XT if you are staying with AMD, as it will provide similar performance to the 580 but with considerably less power draw and heat generation in your case. If you are considering nVidia, you would be looking at some variant of their GTX 1660 (excluding the 1660 Ti, which would be above your budget), with some GTX 1650 being a cheaper option, which, again should fall within your budget.

Tech Power Up keeps a GPU database and they can compare your current GPU to modern versions.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-r9-290.c2397

• Registered Users Posts: 81,133 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I have the R9 390 in my new PC while I wait the purchase of a newer GPU, which is essentially a next-year refresh of the same silicon as the 290. With a fast CPU, the game delivers extremely playable ultra settings graphics in 1080p on just about every title I've ran: Apex Legends, Anthem, Metro, SOTTR, No Mans Sky, etc.

So if a 590 is what's available in your budget I see no reason to tell you no, it supports DX12, the only thing newer on the AMD side would be Vega, VII and RX 5000. To second what homelander said though, IME what really held the R9 390 from giving me more raw performance was the FX-8150 in my PC, it was an utter bottleneck, that card has much more life in it yet (mine, maybe not your artefacting one).

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭DM_2092

Homelander wrote: »
    I would go the opposite way, the FX is a terrible bottleneck to an RX580, it would have been to the R9 290 as well.

Are you playing other games or is it just Championship Manager type stuff? I would just pick up a 2nd hand GPU for €50.

Also, your ram, if it is 2x4gb and 1x8gb, it's running in single channel. That can affect performance, anything from barely at all to a lot.

It's just Championship Manager stuff. I use the computer to work from home and browse the Web too. Nothing overly tedious.

Anything you'd recommend in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,133 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

DM_2092 wrote: »
    It's just Championship Manager stuff. I use the computer to work from home and browse the Web too. Nothing overly tedious.

Anything you'd recommend in particular?

IMO without opening up your wallet, nothing in your 250 euro budget. You already have one of the best CPUs for the AM3+ socket, and that leaves...

Will say that when you are ready, the Ryzen CPUs are pretty friggin great. That said, AM4 is being retired, and while an AM4+ is all but certain it might be worth sticking to your 4 year plan, and building when AM5 hits the mainstream, which in a 1st or 2nd gen build will give you a drop in upgrade at the EOL for the AM5 socket.

• Advertisement
Advertisement