Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommendation on phone for <€125 with min 2GB RAM

Options
  • 13-10-2020 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Have been looking at eGlobalCentral and main options seem to be Nokia 6.1 Plus 4GB or Redmi 9 or 9C with 3GB. Best go with newer Redmi or might there be better alternatives?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Not sure what is available in that price range but no doubt you'll find something. Just try get 4gb ram. 3gb can seem slow these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Escapees

DopeTech wrote: »
    Not sure what is available in that price range but no doubt you'll find something. Just try get 4gb ram. 3gb can seem slow these days.

Yeah, have been tempted by the 2gb ram versions of Redmi, but any phone I've had in the past has always suffered from memory rather than speed issues after a year or two of Android and app bloating!

tbh 4gb is actually required these days for smooth running imo

I've seen slowdown on 3gb ram phones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭pah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

I just bought 2 of these
    for ~€85 delivered each

6.49 inch
    Waterdrop Display
    Android 10 ( from reviews very little bloatware )
    4150mAh
    16MP Quad Rear Camera
    2+1 Cart Slots
    4GB RAM
    64GB storage
    Helio P20
    4G

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭jj880

celtic_oz wrote: »
    I just bought 2 of these
    for ~€85 delivered each

6.49 inch
    Waterdrop Display
    Android 10 ( from reviews very little bloatware )
    4150mAh
    16MP Quad Rear Camera
    2+1 Cart Slots
    4GB RAM
    64GB storage
    Helio P20
    4G

Great spec for the price

Whats the story on customs for phones like this?

The rules seem pretty clear if you order over 22 euro from outside the EU you will get charged customs fee + Vat

Or do you just order and take a chance it will get through?

jj880 wrote: »

bingo ..

bingo ..

What are the chances?!

I actually spent a bit of time last night sussing out phones and came across the likes of Umidigi, Blackview, Cubot and Doogee (almost reads like 'dodgy'!). These are no-name brands to me and I was thinking that Xiaomi would be more reliable, in terms of durability and battery life. Are these other cheaper types worth considering?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Don't get 2GB phone. I wouldn't bother with used phones either. There's enough deals on new phones these days.

Very happy with my Redmi. First Chinese phone for me. Had it for a few years now. A bit of bloat but nothing like a Samsung etc. Recently picked up a Pixel 3a for 129 on Vodafone as a backup, might be out of stock now though.

Getting a phone with as little bloat as possible really is the most important feature for me.

Used to be Sony or nothin myself. But saw a price I couldn't refuse and am very happy with my xaomi now. Great value.

• Advertisement

Great spec for the price

The rules seem pretty clear if you order over 22 euro from outside the EU you will get charged customs fee + Vat

have never used it but the "EU priority line" shipping method has a better chance of avoiding customs - have never used it myself though.

personally would try to stick to Xiaomi or even Realme over these lower-end brands.

just a lower chance of issues and when you're buying from China you don't really want the hassle of an email discussion, posting it back, waiting for refund etc.

Escapees wrote: »
    What are the chances?!

worst case you have to pay an extra €30, you still get the phone.

Cake and eat it ...you want cheap and you want brand?

buy Xiaomi if you're risk averse

Great spec for the price

Getting confused - would there not be no customs fee for an order under €150? If so, then that leaves just the VAT due plus any admin fee?

Debating over whether to ship by post or courier and whether a business address makes any difference in this regard...

Escapees wrote: »
    Getting confused - would there not be no customs fee for an order under €150? If so, then that leaves just the VAT due plus any admin fee?

Debating over whether to ship by post or courier and whether a business address makes any difference in this regard...

You are correct.

When I think of customs fee I think of the admin/handling fee as I have never ordered any above 150 euro from outside EU.

As for the courier idea I definitely would not do that. I know of people who ordered outside the EU via DHL. They will just slap a bigger fee on at point of delivery. Sometimes it can be as high as what you paid for the product. At least An Post will give you a chance to prove what you paid and calculate any fees based on that.

the "EU priority line" service option is "supposed" to have a better chance of avoiding charges as afaik it's brought into the EU and then reposted from there so An Post will deliver without stopping it as it looks like it has come from inside the EU.

again, haven't used it but that's the theory.

glasso wrote: »
    the "EU priority line" service option is "supposed" to have a better chance of avoiding charges as afaik it's brought into the EU and then reposted from there so An Post will deliver without stopping it as it looks like it has come from inside the EU.

again, haven't used it but that's the theory.

Went for this option in the end, but it looks to involve couriers so we'll see... Could just be the likes of GLS but I can put an update here when it eventually arrives!!

Thanks for all the help folks!

received both today .. via "EU priority line". no customs.

received both today .. via "EU priority line". no customs.

delivered by An Post?

glasso wrote: »
    delivered by An Post?

Yes

Advertisement