Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PreConfig TPLink M5 Deco

• 07-11-2020 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I want to buy a set of these for a relative.

I’d like to configure them and send them to them as it’s not possible for me to travel to their location, nor would they be able to set them up.

If I had their SSID/password / IP range,

Could I configure them remotely and post them to them so when they plug them into the network, they’d work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

Yeah you can do that alright

billbond4 wrote: »
    Yeah you can do that alright

Maybe put a mark on the one you make the main one. So it will be the one that they plug into their router

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭SDKev

Thanks for the reply
    The house is wired with cat6 everywhere

Can the 3 of them be hardwired to the router

SDKev wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply
    The house is wired with cat6 everywhere

Can the 3 of them be hardwired to the router

So for main deco
    One ethernet port connect to router.
    Second ethernet port connection to cat6

Other decos can just plug into cat 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Are you going to use them to replace a router (or perform routing functions alongside the ISP router) or set up as access points?

Setting up as access points is probably easier to preconfigure as should be just plug and play if you do that (I did this with Deco S4's for my folks, was in between lock downs so I was able to travel to them but did it to save time so I could just focus on the wiring set up).

Left the ISP router alone other than switching off WiFi with the physical button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭SDKev

dam099 wrote: »
    Are you going to use them to replace a router (or perform routing functions alongside the ISP router) or set up as access points?

Setting up as access points is probably easier to preconfigure as should be just plug and play if you do that (I did this with Deco S4's for my folks, was in between lock downs so I was able to travel to them but did it to save time so I could just focus on the wiring set up).

Left the ISP router alone other than switching off WiFi with the physical button.

No, I plan on just using them as access points. When you pre-configured them, what settings did you set? Im hoping to get a set this week

SDKev wrote: »
    No, I plan on just using them as access points. When you pre-configured them, what settings did you set? Im hoping to get a set this week

Didn't do much with the settings, just the following

- Followed the steps in the App to set up main unit and add the 2 satellites
    - As part of this I think it asked me to name the SSID and set a password, I chose new easier to remember ones but you could replicate the existing ISP ones if you think they would have trouble changing wifi settings on devices (if you do that probably even more important to switch off wifi on existing ISP router, though I would do it anyway to avoid channel interference)
    - By default system was set up as router so switched it to Access point mode

That was really it for the Deco's.

For the ISP router I switched off WiFi using the physical button (figured if the Deco's ever give trouble and I am not available to troubleshoot they can always switch that back on easier than going into router admin page and go back to their old Wifi setup as a fallback).

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Raven_k42

Hi

Not wanting to derail the thread in any way...and you've already guided me in another thread Dam. I'm interested in doing identical. Cabling-wise:

1) VM Router in attic - via 16-port switch and house Cat5e cabling - to Deco unit identified as primary
    2) Return from Primary Deco to attic via house Cat5e cabling and input to separate 4-port switch
    3) 2 outputs from this dedicated 4-port switch via house Cat5e cabling to both satellite Decos

Decos have power supply so no need for PoE 4-port switch I believe.

Sorry if I'm being pedantic - but is this the cabling requirement ??.

Thanks, K

Raven_k42 wrote: »
    Hi

Not wanting to derail the thread in any way...and you've already guided me in another thread Dam. I'm interested in doing identical. Cabling-wise:

1) VM Router in attic - via 16-port switch and house Cat5e cabling - to Deco unit identified as primary
    2) Return from Primary Deco to attic via house Cat5e cabling and input to separate 4-port switch
    3) 2 outputs from this dedicated 4-port switch via house Cat5e cabling to both satellite Decos

Decos have power supply so no need for PoE 4-port switch I believe.

Sorry if I'm being pedantic - but is this the cabling requirement ??.

Thanks, K

Not an expert but that sounds like it would work (presume you have 2 runs from the location where the main unit would be back to the attic switch). Could main Deco be in attic and avoid the second 4 port switch or is that wasting coverage? (Floor below attic would potentially be partially covered from the attic).

Other consideration is whether you want VM to do routing and use Deco's in AP mode or bridge the VM router to modem only mode and use the Deco main unit to route.

Advertisement