Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pixel 5

• 30-09-2020 6:58pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Google is calling out a few things that separate out the Pixel 5 from the newly announced Pixel 4A, including IPX8 water-resistance, reverse wireless charging, more RAM, and a stronger Corning Gorilla Glass 6 panel. Notably, it lacks a 3.5mm headphone jack, though, something its cheaper siblings offer.

The display is a 6-inch 2340 x 1080 OLED panel in a 19.5:9 aspect ratio with a 90Hz refresh rate, which features a hole-punch selfie camera. Thanks to the removal of the Motion Sense camera — and the hefty top bezel it required for its radar array — there’s now a full edge-to-edge display this time, with no notch or bezels. (There isn’t even a small chin at the bottom, setting it apart from the cheaper Pixel 4A.)

Rounding out the specs are 8GB of RAM, 128GB of internal storage, a 4080mAh battery, IP68 waterproofing, and 18W USB-C fast charging. And on the 5G front, the Pixel 5 will also support both sub-6GHz and mmWave 5G, which means that it should work with almost any major 5G network.

From The Verge

$699 or €618.77, pre-order. https://store.google.com/product/pixel_5

The article says available from Oct 15th, whether that applies here I'm not sure.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Very tempting was thinking maybe this or the Xperia 5ii but the 300+ euro price difference along with free QC 35s kinda wins it for my I'll keep thinking hmmmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ricksanchez

Cancelled my S20 FE preorder and bought this. Coming from iPhone and it was always gonna come down to the 2, but the cameras and plastic build of the FE just put me off. Plus it's €100 more.

Got the Sorta Sage and I see some 20 minutes later it's sold out on the Irish store.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Free set of Bose wireless headphones if you pre order by the looks of it.

Pixel 5 : €618.77 / $699
    Pixel 4a 5G : €490.89 / $499
    Chromecast : €69.99 / $49.99

Very inconsistent conversions. Seems like Europe is in particular being shafted with the Chromecast price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just ordered the black one. Don't need the headphones but can sell them on easy enough I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Waiting for Vodafone to list it, they are normally 50-100 cheaper then Google and then offer another 50-100 off if switching number. Would be a great deal with free headphones.

dan786 wrote: »
    Waiting for Vodafone to list it, they are normally 50-100 cheaper then Google and then offer another 50-100 off if switching number. Would be a great deal with free headphones.

You'll be waiting a while I'd say, don't think they stocked the Pixel 4! :pac:

Doubt they'd have a porting discount either, they only usually have that on their lower end phones. Don't think they're usually cheaper than the Google store either, I think the pixel 3A was just an exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

You'll be waiting a while I'd say, don't think they stocked the Pixel 4! :pac:

Doubt they'd have a porting discount either, they only usually have that on their lower end phones. Don't think they're usually cheaper than the Google store either, I think the pixel 3A was just an exception.

Seeing Vodafone Ireland are mentioned as the only Irish retailer I am pretty sure they will stock it soon.

They do have porting offers on high end phones, they had one on Note 20 Ultra recently for 100 off.

They have always been cheaper than Google. I remember buying Pixel 3 and 3 XL 100 cheaper than Google. 3a and 3a XL were same.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bawnBeag

Pre-ordered one, glad I waited was going to go for the 4xl as a replacement for a 2xl. I think this works out as a better upgrade

• Advertisement

Seeing Vodafone Ireland are mentioned as the only Irish retailer I am pretty sure they will stock it soon.

They do have porting offers on high end phones, they had one on Note 20 Ultra recently for 100 off.

They have always been cheaper than Google. I remember buying Pixel 3 and 3 XL 100 cheaper than Google. 3a and 3a XL were same.

That was also true of the Pixel 4, but then they never stocked them. ;)

Yeah I remember the Pixel 3 / 3 XL being cheaper alright, but then Google discounted the phone a few weeks later to near Vodafone's price, and many people were waiting weeks for their phone to arrive from Vodafone anyway. I'm pretty sure they didn't offer any porting discount with the 3 / 3 XL either.

Not knocking your suggestion though, I'm currently rocking a 3A from Vodafone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭micks_address

Bit miffed they dropped face id. Use it on my pixel 4 frequently ..might see if it returns in the 6

Apart from potential battery life doesn't seem much if an upgrade from the 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭wingnut

Very inconsistent conversions. Seems like Europe is in particular being shafted with the Chromecast price.

The US pixel 5 is different, its a more expensive variant with mmwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭wingnut

I wonder will they be locked or unlocked like the 3a?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Expected this thread to be busier - maybe some reviews would help. Anyway preordered my 5 last night. Glad I did as seems not possible anymore now and 4A 5G os join waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭micks_address

digitaldr wrote: »
    Expected this thread to be busier - maybe some reviews would help. Anyway preordered my 5 last night. Glad I did as seems not possible anymore now and 4A 5G os join waiting list.

It's the reality that about 2 percent of people are interested in pixels..everyone else is apple samsung or one plus... certainly in europe

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bawnBeag

wingnut wrote: »
    The US pixel 5 is different, its a more expensive variant with mmwave.

Can you share where you are seeing this?
    mmWave refers to 5g which the pixel 5 is.

bawnBeag wrote: »
    Can you share where you are seeing this?
    mmWave refers to 5g which the pixel 5 is.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/09/30/including-expensive-mmwave-5g-on-the-pixel-5-was-a-big-mistake-google/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Wonder if I'd be crazy to buy this when I have an S10+? I just miss stock Android, man!

Also my OCD really likes the fact that the bezels are totally symmetrical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭AngryLips

The price difference on the 4a and 5 is all down to VAT. Ex-VAT pricing is actually cheaper in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭KildareP

AngryLips wrote: »
    The price difference on the 4a and 5 is all down to VAT. Ex-VAT pricing is actually cheaper in Europe.
    Yep. All US pricing is before sales tax, which varies by state and county.

Would it be worth upgrading from a S9 to this?
    My S9 is perfect, and I already have a pair of Bose QCII, so I suppose I could sell them on

Really just want a new toy

Pulled the trigger on preorder of a black Pixel 5. Was out of stock for a bit last night, but then managed to place the preorder.

Looking forward to November, with the Pixel 5 and Xbox Series X both coming to me around the same time.

Just went to order one, and it showed as out of stock.
    I'll keep an eye on it throughout the day, but I can live without it

Also, stupid question, but I presume this phone will work on a 4G network initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

There's just nothing really flashy or innovative about this device, perfect if you dont have the bose headphones as they are brilliant. Interesting that the Pixel 4 is still more expensive than the 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Yeah they were both out of stock at some point last night, but then around 1 or so they were both back in I got a delivery date of Oct 16-19 but first time I looked it was early November

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭914

bazwraf wrote: »
    Just went to order one, and it showed as out of stock.
    I'll keep an eye on it throughout the day, but I can live without it

Also, stupid question, but I presume this phone will work on a 4G network initially.

Yes it will

Yeah they were both out of stock at some point last night, but then around 1 or so they were both back in I got a delivery date of Oct 16-19 but first time I looked it was early November

Interesting. I got my order in at 11pm, showing delivery of Nov 11-13.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

digitaldr wrote: »
    Expected this thread to be busier -

Nobody cares anymore.

It is a mature tech.

• Advertisement

AngryLips wrote: »

Yes I'm aware, I'm referring to the inconsistent conversion rate, particularly with the Chromecast.

Advertisement