Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Case Mod's

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

thanks for the reply, I'll try to add some pics later, as I don't have access to a heat gun and a I'm low on funds I'll use a zip wire instead.

At erper i just bought a new case so that's a no no and your gpu is out of my price range.

if u want and ever in limerick we could make a deal for your monitor and one of my gpus...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Erper wrote: »
    if u want and ever in limerick we could make a deal for your monitor and one of my gpus...

I'D love but i have to be in limerick which has never happened but there's always a 1st time, plus I have to off load the 4890.

My bro has the 6850 is its very cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Those 4000 series run very hot and they're designed to run like that. I had one for a while and was a bit freaked out by the temperatures.

You can set the fan to run faster on it. Easiest way is to change it to manual in the control centre, but that's not really that useful.
    There used to be guides around at the time that allowed you to set a lower target temperature so that it was still automatic but it ran a bit faster. They're most likely out of date as CCC has moved on a bit.

Actually, the easiest way to do it is to grab MSI's Afterburner. This allows you to set a curve for fan speed at a variety of temperatures. I used it to turn down an older card with noisy fan there recently and it worked wonders. Should also work for your card, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Counts as a case mod right? :p

Flick that switch when gaming, allows me to push the clocks out without cooking my box.

309382_2297874504459_1700140712_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

ED E wrote: »

Flick that switch when gaming, allows me to push the clocks out without cooking my box.

haha... nice mod...
    why dont u buy a 12cm fan instead of those small noisy one

• Advertisement

Erper wrote: »
    haha... nice mod...
    why dont u buy a 12cm fan instead of those small noisy one

It was just a spur of the moment thing that I did with bits I had lying around. Hopefully gonna be ordering the new rig soon(been saying that for months) so not really putting much into this box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

ED E wrote: »

what did you use to stick the fan on that case, I'm thinking of adding those fan or one of it to my i3 cooler by using a rubber wire twisted together and burning the edges so that it wont be loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

what did you use to stick the fan on that case, I'm thinking of adding those fan or one of it to my i3 cooler by using a rubber wire twisted together and burning the edges so that it wont be loose.

Looks like Hot glue gun

Cable Ties would also work .

Screws. Regular carpentry ones.

Hot glue was just to mount the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Richardb98

Ok, I am looking for a little advise, This is not only my First ever PC build. But it is also my first ever PC, I have always been a Mac person (And still am), but the idea of being able to build something completely custom appealed to me.

So i decided to give the whole thing a go. Self built, nice case and a bit of overclocking. I have the PC built and in a crappy old shell of a case. I am waiting for a Corsair Graphite 600T white edition to arrive.So far the gear I have in it is as follows.

i5 2500k cooled with an Antec H2O 920.
    2x Sapphire 6770 (I know really not amazing cards, but its my first go).
    8GB Crucial DDR3 Memory.

and the motherboard is an Asus P8H67 (this is my first Noob mistake, chipset does not allow you to OC. I have a Sabertooth z77 on order).

I know overall this is not a serious gaming machine, but i just wanted to have a go, and I can buy a propper graphics card later.

But what I really want advise on is painting. I wish to paint some of the plastic parts of some of the components, and I would just like some advice on types of paint. I have heard some very good things about vinyl dyes (such as VHT vinyl dye) but for love nor money I cant find it in Ireland. So if anyone knows where I can buy it, or suggetsions as to other types of paint that are also good, it would be greatly appreciated.

Richard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Richardb98

Ok I am Guessing this thread has died.

You could go down the electro-plating route but it'd be quite expensive.

I've got paint from the graffiti place in temple bar, but the nozzles they use or just how the paint works is quite poor for this kind of work.

You could give Krylon a try. Stocked in a few places at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Can anyone recommend a decent cpu block to watercool an i2500k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭game4it70

cdb wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a decent cpu block to watercool an i2500k.

EK Supremacy.

Comes in different flavours.
    Acetal + Nickel.
    Full Nickel.
    Acetal.
    Etc Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

Anybody have some plexiglass or Acrylic floating around off an old tower?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Digy123

Anybody have some plexiglass or Acrylic floating around off an old tower?

I have a few meters of 1/2 mm thick Acrylic if its any good to ya mate,Based in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

I also have some clear acrylic hanging around. Cork based. About 40cm x 40cm

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭schrodinger

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a case for a JBOD I am building.

Simple requirements.
    • 9 x 5.25" drive bays
    • 4 PCI slots

The need for nine 5.25" bays are that I already have 3 x ICY DOCK FatCage which I intend to use to house twelve 3.5" 4TB WD Red drives.

The PCI slots are for the Intel SAS Expander, an SFF-8087 to SFF-8088 bracket and two PCI mounted 2.5" SSD disks.

There will be no motherboard installed into this case. Expander card powered using on-card power molex.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a case for a JBOD I am building.

Simple requirements.
    • 9 x 5.25" drive bays
    • 4 PCI slots

The need for nine 5.25" bays are that I already have 3 x ICY DOCK FatCage which I intend to use to house twelve 3.5" 4TB WD Red drives.

The PCI slots are for the Intel SAS Expander, an SFF-8087 to SFF-8088 bracket and two PCI mounted 2.5" SSD disks.

There will be no motherboard installed into this case. Expander card powered using on-card power molex.

Thanks.

Hows about these, they list 9 bays

http://www.hardwareversand.de/Tower/53132/Cooler+Master+Storm+Trooper%2C+ohne+Netzteil.article

http://www.hardwareversand.de/Tower/60291/CM+Storm+Stryker+Big-Tower+-+wei%C3%9F%2C+ohne+Netzteil.article

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Isn't it 8 slots for 4xFatCages? :confused: 3 FatCages will only take up 6 bays and give you 9 HDD mounts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭schrodinger

Solitaire wrote: »
    Isn't it 8 slots for 4xFatCages? :confused: 3 FatCages will only take up 6 bays and give you 9 HDD mounts...

I referenced the wrong model, I have the 4 3.5" version. Here

Lu Tze, thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a gander at those. Might be a bit big but I can't find anything much more suitable :( I unfortunately bought a "duplicator" case but there's no way to mount PCI cards on the back of the chassis - not without some dodgy welding!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭thegreenbean

My sons rig, she needs a clean up lol

http://imgur.com/Kr6JRjF

http://imgur.com/17pHRWx

http://imgur.com/Uq0HGvi

A serious clean up

Advertisement