Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kickstarter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Skerries wrote: »
    they will need to heavily rework the gun system as it looks and sounds like a popgun with no meat to it.
    They will have to either add some impact animation or increase the blood on the aliens/creatures as well as they were very clunky
    Yeah, he knows all that. The work is all done by one guy and the Kickstarter is to get funding to get more people on to help him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Frog Fractions 2! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/475057068/frog-fractions-2

Suitably, for a sequel to the oddest and best game about fractions and frogs ever made, the developer will initially only send copies of the game to those who are able to correctly deduce its actual name (because Frog Fractions 2 is far too predictable) before the gaming press get wind of it :pac:

Let the bat**** insanity commence! Hope they reach the 'Rockband microphone support' stretch goal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Proven Lands looks nice -
    Explore a unique, vast and beautiful science-fiction sandbox roguelike, procedurally generated and studded with an AI storyteller.

Darkest Dungeon is, at the time of my writing looking at 37 hours left in its Kickstarter. It's working towards stretch goals which are seriously worth it. I'd post a youtube vid here now, but am getting error 502 on youtube at the moment. Check out the vid on the kickstarter page and part of the stretch goal will make sense.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1460250988/darkest-dungeon-by-red-hook-studios/posts/772915
    The End Times (of this Kickstarter) Are Upon Us!

Chris, Kelvin, Keir and I cannot believe that there are only 1.5 days left. Its has been an incredible ride, and we'll write more about that tomorrow.

But today's order of business is:

New Stretch Goals!

We've been so fortunate to have your support to make Darkest Dungeon funded this well so far!

Although our most distant stretch goals ($400k+) look to be impossible at this point, we have been putting our heads together around the Red Hook office and having intense discussions about how we can deliver the best game possible to all of you. We've also listened a lot to your comments about the upcoming exciting stretch goals, especially concerning Cinematics (told in the style of our "Terror and Madness" and "House of Ruin" trailers) and Steam Workshop support (to allow mod creation!), for which there is a ton of support all around.

In talking and planning, we explored how both of those key stretch goals actually require different personnel and can be done in parallel. We also talked a lot about how much we, ourselves, want them both in the game. Given how well the campaign has done, we believe that if we hit that $350k Cinematics goal, we can find a way to do BOTH.

So, here are two Stretch Goal changes that we hope you'll be as excited about as we are:

$285k mini-goal: The Ancestor's Items - 6 rare and powerful trinkets dropped from the expedition of your Ancestor in which he uncovered the Darkest Dungeon, to his eventual demise. You can find these powerful and mysterious items while adventuring.
    $350k MEGA-GOAL: Steam Workshop support has been reduced from $400k and has been added to the $350k Cinematics goal, creating a monstrous, lumbering MEGAGOAL- ZOMG! Why choose chocolate or peanut butter when you can have both?!

Behold: the MEGAGOAL!
    What You Can Do to Help

First of all, just by backing, you have done an amazing amount and we thank you! No further action required, of course!

But if you love that MEGAGOAL as much as we do, then consider spreading the word about Darkest Dungeon in these final hours on your favorite websites, forums, and social networks.

You can remind people that there are several huge benefits to backing:

BACKING BENEFITS

Get rewards that you won't be able to get when the game releases
    Become part of ongoing backer polls and see concept art and game ideas throughout development (WANDERER $20 tier and higher)
    Even if you just get the basic game (NOMAD $15), you're getting it for a discount over expected retail price.
    Your support as backers is not only enabling Darkest Dungeon to get made--it is making the game BETTER. You have a very real effect on this game.
    Thank you for all that you do!

Grave Robber Revealed!

Nimble, versatile and self-sufficient, the Grave Robber sparkles with value like a gold ring on the finger of a fresh corpse! She's able to deftly evade incoming hits and make lethal use of her poisoned daggers at range or in close quarters. The Grave Robber's real speciality however, is navigating long-forgotten tunnels silently, disarming traps, seeking out hidden passageways and uncovering ancient caches of valuable treasure!

bb88f065cb333fcd15badef41ab903ea_large.jpg?1394643261

Epoch: Return
    Eurogamer write up
    A game called Epoch: Returns, which will launch on Kickstarter early next week asking for "just into six figures", hopes to capture all of that, particularly the Mass Effect parts, because the man in charge helped build it.

Nathan Moller was a cinematic designer at BioWare, crafting the scenes BioWare's games are famed for, particularly Mass Effect. And although he worked on Dragon Age: Origins and Star Wars: The Old Republic, and even the colossal production Halo 4, it's BioWare's space opera he feels closest to.

It should come as no surprise, then, that the other strong theme in Epoch: Returns is the relationship between characters, two of them - a husband and wife team of interstellar treasure hunters.

"Married couples in games are very rare, and even when they are there they're usually background, or one of them has been kidnapped or one of them has been murdered and revenge is sought," said Moller. "We're building a real couple. It hasn't really been done much in games, at least not in any of the games I've played."

A reading they take from an asteroid makes it look like they've hit their own kind of jackpot, but turns out to be a Bermuda Triangle of a location and they crash. The parts the wife needs to repair the ship the husband will have to explore to find.

"One thing that was very underrated about the first Mass Effect was exploring the uncharted worlds," he believes, "all the little planets you could land on and drive around the Mako on. I love that stuff.

"Start with that, except we're giving you just one of the worlds - except it's much bigger and you're on foot. But you've got this suit that allows you basically to make big leaps."

More over at the Eurogamer link.

• Advertisement

So, Heart&Slash has broken $25,000. That put it over the stretch goal for Endless Dungeon. I know the point was made that the $5000 backer might be a troll who'll pull out at the last day, but at least they are at a point where it would take more than just that for the project to fail at this point.

I mentioned Ashen Rift in a previous post. Now, Ashen Rift and Heart&Slash are doing a small thing where if you back Ashen Rift $15, and Heart&Slash $10 you get 2 free OST tracks as a bonus.

Darkest Dungeon is currently at 304,000/350,000. It has an unknown amount from Paypal. They'll likely continue to take in money once the kickstarter ends in 6 hours, and am hopeful they can get to that 350,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nothing too high profile, but cautionary KickStarter tales are always worth reading of, if only as a reminder that crowd-funding isn't a guarantee of delivery:

http://kotaku.com/kickstarter-game-on-hold-two-years-after-raising-53-1546409876

I played Super Mario Bros. Crossover and it's a fun game, shame their attempt to make a proper commercial release has been such a failure.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Nothing too high profile, but cautionary KickStarter tales are always worth reading of, if only as a reminder that crowd-funding isn't a guarantee of delivery:

http://kotaku.com/kickstarter-game-on-hold-two-years-after-raising-53-1546409876

I played Super Mario Bros. Crossover and it's a fun game, shame their attempt to make a proper commercial release has been such a failure.
    I replied to a comment posted there by the author in response to calling backing something on kickstarter an investment by stating that it is a donation, not an investment. It was long, so feck it, I'll just paste it here, too.

I was discussing the value of kickstarter with someone the other day, and I was saying how whereas publishers will want to change things of a game - I brought up the example of Kingdom Come where the devs couldn't convince anyone there'd be interest* - Kickstarter allows us to fund development making us 'publishers'. Though we aren't *really* like publishers in the equation. We don't see any money out of it.

Donation isn't right as we may or may not see something out of it. There is a risk there, so it isn't just a exchange of money for goods/services. It's exchange of money for potential goods/services. Exchange of money for a potential benefit? Well, I can't think of a better word than investment though I can understand the inclination to balk at it on first hearing it called so. It seems to make sense though. It kind of is.

Honestly, I'd be interested in thoughts on something though. I think people who are setting up Kickstarters more like proper investments - financial return on investment. Well, yes, there are still the risks - will it actually be brought to market, how much will it actually sell on the market, etc. there is also the fact that people would have to put in a sizable amount of money in to something to see significant return on investment. In that sense, it would be leaving the creators able to make a game as they want without getting the "you need to change this" but also motivate people to throw in significant money in to a product.

[*I'm aware that this Kickstarter was set up as a proof of concept to impress the people who would fund it. They had to reach a certain amount of money and then would fund their own money. But what if a step was skipped and it was left open to back, and see a % based return?]

Edit: Obviously, these are just thoughts, and exact terms like if its % on return woudn't work, but ye see some other model would be more feasible, then posting what type of model ye'd reckon would work better would be interesting. Or if no model would work in your opinion say that.

It isn't a Kickstarter yet... But Yu Suzuki is looking into doing one for Shenmue 3.

www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-20-yu-suzuki-is-looking-into-kickstarter

• Advertisement

A JRPG/Japanese teaching game in one. I set this to remind me at the 48 hour mark and forgot about it till now.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/297265509/koe-a-jrpg-with-japanese-at-the-core-of-gameplay?ref=48hr

Interesting update on [url]Kingdom Come: Deliverance[/url] and some news on Torment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I backed Serpent in the Staglands. Another predictable one for me being an old school rpg :)

Remember reading about the witcher developers looking to work on something new? Well, here it is.
    An open-world psychological FPS set in ghoulish 1940s America, from veterans who worked on Silent Hill, F.E.A.R. and The Witcher.

Death In Candlewood is an open-world psychological FPS heavily influenced by the gothic fiction of Edgar Allan Poe and classic horror films. A love story between the living and the dead, the game plunges its player into the darkest corners of 1940s America.

The game spans a single night in the life of Ray Dune, a doctor whose relationship with reclusive psychiatrist Lester Caravan has reached a deadly crisis point. When his vulnerable adopted son Rizzo mysteriously disappears, Dune is forced to act. Navigating the dark paths of Candlewood Mountains and a terrifying onslaught of inhuman assailants, Dune sets out on a desperate bid to save himself and his son from the bloody machinations of a madman.

Though Death In Candlewood is played mostly from a first person perspective it is not a traditional FPS. The game world is expansive - including over 1,000 navigable buildings in Candlewood and 6km² of surrounding mountain ranges - and you can move around this vast landscape any way you choose. In Death In Candlewood you’ll drive cars and motorbikes, swim through deep waters, use uncommon weapons and face uncommon enemies as you unravel a dark and twisted romance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you can try Chaos Reborn here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Remember reading about the witcher developers looking to work on something new? Well, here it is.

Might back the lowest tier of this the higher ones don't really offer much more, really intriguing story though if the gameplay is done right it could be a cracking game.

kevovek wrote: »
    Might back the lowest tier of this the higher ones don't really offer much more, really intriguing story though if the gameplay is done right it could be a cracking game.
    I've gone a bit kickstarter crazy this last year. I backed the lowest tier too, didn't really even look beyond the first two or three, and then said I don't care, just get the lowest one its good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

This would be the first kickstarter I've ever backed to be honest I suppose its a low risk investment really on one hand you can get refunded and on the other hand the game will come out and either be brilliant or crap. When you have steam games sitting in your library that you have never played and might never play at all its not too bad

There's Goat simulator. This is the internet though, so this one was always going to be in the cards. They aren't exactly showing a whole lot, but I'll link it anyway.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/849914695/cat-simulator?ref=card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Skerries wrote: »
    you can try Chaos Reborn here

This game has me worried that it will take over my life. I played the original for the first time about 30 years ago, and have been playing it semi-regularly ever since.

For anybody who likes turn-based games, I'd recommend you give it a try. It's being made by the same guy who wrote the original in 1985, and the original XCom games.

Keep in mind it's a *very* early preview, but it has functional multiplayer gameplay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Really tempted to throw a few quid to see a remake of Outcast - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/outcast-reboot-hd/outcast-reboot-hd

No idea how it would hold up compared to modern game design but it was great at the time and only out-weirded by Omikron as far as I remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Pushtrak wrote: »
    There's Goat simulator. This is the internet though, so this one was always going to be in the cards. They aren't exactly showing a whole lot, but I'll link it anyway.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/849914695/cat-simulator?ref=card

Goat simulator is out already, came out last week on Steam.
    The link you posted is to CAT simulator :P

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Goat simulator is out already, came out last week on Steam.
    The link you posted is to CAT simulator :P
    Er, yes, and my point was, this being the internet where cats are loved, cat simulator was always going to happen. Would kinda have ruined it if I'd actually named it in my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Looking forward to darkest dungeon. Something abit different.

:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, it, Paradise Lost and Hyper Light Drifter are the games I'm most looking forward to from the great mass of KS projects.

Here's one below for the Point & Click junkies: The Breakout. The game seems to be reaching for an atmosphere of those old-school, British war films and as it'll be set in a ww2 prison camp the biggest influence seems to be The Great Escape. The art style's quite nice too (I'll be honest and admit that tends to be the thing that gets my attention with KS projects).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2084621640/the-breakout

Two projects this time. Dead Synchronicity - "Old-school 2D graphic adventure game featuring space-time distortions, a dystopian atmosphere... and a dark, bloodstained plot."

32 hours left.

Prisonscape - "An RPG adventure game. Can you survive the harsh and unforgiving environment of a prison? "Game ain't based on sympathy.""

An update on Death in Candlewood (the one with Silent Hill, FEAR, The Witcher devs) can be found here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1012709089/death-in-candlewood/posts/810486

An amusing point & click adventure, The Breakout.

I'll check out the demo on this strategy game later, see how it is: The Red Solstice.

The Breakout was mentioned only 2 posts ago hehe; you're losing track of all these KS projects Pushtrak ;)

Ha, so I am :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

So, I hope this isnt a re-post but, Cult Country by Renegade Kid is up on Kickstarter at the moment. It was meant to be a 3DS exclusive but no longer is and now they want to put it on all systems. Its interesting and I have put $20 towards it, but god damn, that goal is crazy high now at $580,000 with 16 days to go, as of now $37,855 has been pledged.

But I want the game!

Here's the link to it https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2029149553/cult-county-by-renegade-kid

Sorry again if this is a re-post but this needs all the support it can get right now :)

Advertisement