Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Skins

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

For your own reference, the updates referred to are background or 'under-the-bonnet' upgrades to our systems. They are not visible to users. The version of the site you are all on now has been the default version for all users for a number of years now, there were just a small number of users still on the very old legacy skins. These skins are unusuable with the background upgrades so had to be retired, hence you are on the default skin.

We can't just leave everything as it is forever, the site badly needs new features and updates but with vBulletin and the 21 years of code, it's difficult. So we have set about tidying and streamlining things for the dev space to be a better and easier place to work and so that when they are done, devs will be able to implement suggested features and changes much more easily than they have been up to now. We'd never implement change or remove features just for the sake of it, there is always a reason. I realise that the menu navigation is something new to get used to and will take a little time. All of the forums are there though and in fact you will see a lot more forums as new ones will be on the menu now that weren't there on the old, unsupported skins.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,818 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

The version of the site you are all on now has been the default version for all users for a number of years now, there were just a small number of users still on the very old legacy skins.

true but.... i remember this layout happening, but i was savy enough to change it. i suspect that just because there was only a small number on the legacy site, that does not mean that the majority of users prefer the new layout. they were just pigeon holed into the new skin and didnt know they could get the old one back..... see post above from Ads by Google which backs up this point.

actually here is a simple thing.
    on the white skin, i could always see if i had mail in my inbox up top right no matter what page i was on.

now i can't

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

For your own reference, the updates referred to are background or 'under-the-bonnet' upgrades to our systems. They are not visible to users. The version of the site you are all on now has been the default version for all users for a number of years now, there were just a small number of users still on the very old legacy skins. These skins are unusuable with the background upgrades so had to be retired, hence you are on the default skin.

We can't just leave everything as it is forever, the site badly needs new features and updates but with vBulletin and the 21 years of code, it's difficult. So we have set about tidying and streamlining things for the dev space to be a better and easier place to work and so that when they are done, devs will be able to implement suggested features and changes much more easily than they have been up to now. We'd never implement change or remove features just for the sake of it, there is always a reason. I realise that the menu navigation is something new to get used to and will take a little time. All of the forums are there though and in fact you will see a lot more forums as new ones will be on the menu now that weren't there on the old, unsupported skins.

Ah now, please. As someone who develops software, if I went to a customer with a poorer implementation of the one the more important features and gave them that as a reply, then they would no longer be a customer.

It's a massive regression, from having everything visible and 1 click away, to now having everything hidden and having to click all over the place to find something. Telling us to get used to it is a poor response.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Seve OB wrote: »
    actually here is a simple thing.
    on the white skin, i could always see if i had mail in my inbox up top right no matter what page i was on.

now i can't

Hi Seve OB,

There is a sticky header option available here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=appearancesettings . This will keep your notifications on display as well as navigation elements like the breadcrumb, search bar, home page linked logo, and the dropdown menu.

• Advertisement

Hi Seve OB,

There is a sticky header option available here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=appearancesettings . This will keep your notifications on display as well as navigation elements like the breadcrumb, search bar, home page linked logo, and the dropdown menu.

yes that is ticked on my profile but it is not what it used to be where i could see if i had unread pm's.
    i now have to go up and click to see that. it was just visable before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Could you be anymore patronising? This layout is awful, pure and simple. It's completely put me off boards. Who do I contact about deleting my post history?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Could you be anymore patronising? This layout is awful, pure and simple. It's completely put me off boards. Who do I contact about deleting my post history?
    The updated GDPR policy is set out here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108786728

We no longer delete posts on request - further details can be seen via that link

Beasty wrote: »
    The updated GDPR policy is set out here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108786728

We no longer delete posts on request - further details can be seen via that link

just read the first post there
    interesting as i was cleaning up my own inbox earlier on and noticed a request i had previously sent asking for my name to be removed from a post made by another user..... well nobody ever did anything about it

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

just read the first post there
    interesting as i was cleaning up my own inbox earlier on and noticed a request i had previously sent asking for my name to be removed from a post made by another user..... well nobody ever did anything about it

If you report the post I'll have a look

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    If you report the post I'll have a look

i'll have to look, it was years ago and i deleted the pm earlier on

OK, if you can find it I will deal with it

Thanks for the RP - I've now deleted that post

• Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So it's been around 5 days since the old boards skin is gone and damn I miss it. It was so easy to navigate and alot more pleasing on the eyes

Wouldnt it make so much sense to fix the new skin before removing the old skin altogether ........

It's so frustrating that boards don't care about posters, they consistently ignore the opinions of posters like in this thread. It's no wonder genuine posters are leaving this site which is sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I've been using the old skin for over 10 years and absolutely detest this menu layout. Whoever designed is it obviously a moron of the highest order.
    Just another decision by boards to push me more towards reddit where I find it far easier to navigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

And the difficulty in navigating makes it harder for people to find this forum to complain. I can't understand the logic of making it harder for people to use the site.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Blazer wrote: »
    Whoever designed is it obviously a moron of the highest order.

Interesting tactic. Petty name-calling will totally help.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Interesting tactic. Petty name-calling will totally help.

I agree but nothing is likely to help. It's the current trend to take websites, that work well & change them. There are thousands of people who depend on this for their career. Met Eireann is a prime example. Their new site won an award despite being disliked & criticised by many people. There is the obsessive desire for change.

I think the problem here is that Boards encourages us to be a community & care about the site & the way it operates. So when a major change is implemented, without choice, it's bound to annoy people.

This thread & feedback in general is fairly hidden away. You almost have to know it's here to find it. Maybe we need a thread in After Hours with a Poll unless Boards don't want to listen to opinion.

the european tour changed their website a while back. it was a disaster. guess what.... they listened to the complaints and within a few days they reverted to the old site. i don't think i've ever seen anyone else listen to feedback before.

unfortunately they have recently rolled out another new website, though not half as bad as the previous muck, its still nothing like their old one.

nobody seems to want simple stuff anymore. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone here use digitalspy forums? - they made a spectacular horlicks of the most recent change when they abandoned PHPBB and switched to Vanilla, vbulletin was the original software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

When will all of this be done? Is there a timeframe on when dev can "implement suggested features and changes much more easily than they have been up to now."?

I realise that the menu navigation is something new to get used to and will take a little time.
    Woeful stuff this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Blazer wrote: »
    Just another decision by boards to push me more towards reddit where I find it far easier to navigate.

Reddit is a complete nightmare to navigate.

After using the new skin for a week now I don't see as manly negatives as last week and if it's useful in progressing the site in general that can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've been on the current skin for years.
    All my navigation is from subscribed threads, subscribed forums and the homepage.
    The "My Forums" and "My Threads" tabs on the homepage are the first place I go, followed by the "My Forums" submenu.
    I don't use the top menus.
    At all.
    I can't remember the last time I've clicked on them.

Now in fairness, I've been here for nearly 20 years, so I know my way around.
    I can't vouch for what the experience is like for new users.

However I call shenanigans on people who have been here for years who are bemoaning the new menu structure...
    By now, you have your favourite forums locked in and you have little reason to go browsing through the menus.

It would be interesting to see how many users (who have been members for, say, more than 2 years?) actually use the menu?

Mr E wrote: »
    I don't use the top menus.
    At all.
    I can't remember the last time I've clicked on them.

Now in fairness, I've been here for nearly 20 years, so I know my way around.
    I can't vouch for what the experience is like for new users.

They don't use the menus either.

RGt3XZq.png

A five-minute fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Clicking those little cancel buttons on cookie messages is ALWAYS the first thing I do when I go to a new site. You're making a mountain out of a molehill on that one, ABG.

But yes, for what it's worth, it should be a simple fix.

Would boards.ie be willing to have a bunch of skin variations like the old legacy ones? I'm using the old green colour scheme and it's really nice.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112256114&postcount=31

I'm off work for two weeks and could create a few style sheets out of boredom.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,815 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

One with the old pale blue background instead of white would be ideal :)

Life ain't always empty.

One with the old pale blue background instead of white would be ideal :)

I changed some colours in my green and came up with this.

This is my reference point: https://web.archive.org/web/20120521185118/http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055557250

Worth the change? I'm not putting in much more effort if the site doesn't go for skinned version of their theme.

V9h3jkB.png

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

We're happy enough for people to customise their experience of the site using extensions and the likes on their end. However, we made this move to streamline the templates that we support and have to maintain and work around when updating anything. As a result, we won't be able to support skin variations on our end I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Does not seem a great business model to ignore and lose users just to make the site look the way you want it.

Advertisement