Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone here dye their beard?

• 20-10-2019 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Like a lot of Irish guys, I suffer from foxy beard syndrome...I'm thinking of dying it darker so that it is a closer shade to my hair, which is jet black.

I know they advise to go at least two shades lighter than your hair colour, I'm just wondering if anyone has any first hand advice or experience with this?

There are surprisingly few videos on youtube about this, although I found this one to be good:

youtube.com/watch?v=UoQ9wvHyXVQ

My main concerns are: would it look relatively natural if done right, or would I end up looking like a slimy used car salesman? (no offense to legit used car salesmen!) :P

Also, how long would a permanent dye last before the roots started to show and I would have to reapply? Would you get a week out of it?

Finally, would a barber do this if asked? I've never heard of anyone getting it done there, but maybe they do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Why?

Just let nature take it's course and embrace it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 15425g sg sdg

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Why?

That's why I've been doing so far, now I'm considering alternatives to see if it would look better.

So I want to hear from people who have experience with this.

If the feedback is mostly negative, then I'll stick with what I've been doing.

I've never been a believer in the 'nature' argument anyway...we can influence and improve our appearance to make the best of ourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Used to do it years ago. Just for men.

I've a red beard with brown hair & it looked weird.

Easy to so & maintain, only problem is it goes darker as you progress so eventually the beard will be darker than your hair & it's shaving time & start again.

Really only suitable for short or "sculpted" beards.

Not obvious until it gets very dark although people who know you well will be aware of it.

I've a friend who's currently putting grey into his to look more distinguished.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yep, also thinking of dying my growing beard as I now have the dark brown/grey badger look on my beard/goatee when I let it grow. My nascent beard will be tight and well groomed - my OH woukdn't allow me to have it any other way! :PIs Is Just For Men for beards any good?

Any other products you lads might have used and could also recommend?

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Yep, also thinking of dying my growing beard as I now have the dark brown/grey badger look on my beard/goatee when I let it grow. My nascent beard will be tight and well groomed - my OH woukdn't allow me to have it any other way! :PIs Is Just For Men for beards any good?

Any other products you lads might have used and could also recommend?

From what I've read online, regular hair dye works the same as beard dye- it's essentially the same product, but marketed differently.

Some people use henna dye. There's an article here that might be helpful:
    https://www.primandprep.com/best-beard-dyes/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Just for men - beards is a gel like substance (two actually). Small brush & mixing tray also supplied

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

I will only start doing this once I start getting noticeable grey patches in my beard. So far I'm still lucky and it's still black.

Wouldnt it be much cheaper to just use normal hair dye or does that have disadvantages?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I've a particular Irish affliction, dark brown hair with dark brown, black, ginger and grey beard!
    I tried dying it before but it looked silly - so I've decided to embrace the Hagrid within and just go with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Why?

Yea.
    Be confident in yourself for what you are.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

machaseh wrote: »
    I will only start doing this once I start getting noticeable grey patches in my beard. So far I'm still lucky and it's still black.

Wouldnt it be much cheaper to just use normal hair dye or does that have disadvantages?

I've never seen a beard that wasn't improved by grey patches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

ELM327 wrote: »
    I've a particular Irish affliction, dark brown hair with dark brown, black, ginger and grey beard!
    I tried dying it before but it looked silly - so I've decided to embrace the Hagrid within and just go with it!

Why did it turn out to look silly? Did you use specialized beard dye or did you use hair dye?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

machaseh wrote: »
    Why did it turn out to look silly? Did you use specialized beard dye or did you use hair dye?
    It was beard dye but due to the 3-4 different colors it didnt look right no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Mickeroo wrote: »

Yeah, quite fond of my greying beard.

I had that as well, different shades of brown mixed with foxy red, it used to bother me but eventually i just went with it, it did darken down over time and faded away, i'm actually loving the grey silvery hairs now, i feel very distinguished.

ELM327 wrote: »

What beard dye did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Mickeroo wrote: »

This.

I'm 32 and have grey on the chin of my beard. Really like it actually, makes it look distinguished and mature.

Advertisement