Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheap All-Inclusive calls from landline phone to non-IE/UK landline phones

• 22-04-2008 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭

I'm attempting to discover the best deal for making an unlimited number of calls to a landline phone outside Ireland & UK using a landline phone.

I'm excluding the unreliable call13434.ie service (5 cent connection fee, 0.5 cent/min) and here's the best deal I could come up with;

perlico.gifPerlico Pay-As-You-Use Broadband: €27.75 p.m (Including Line Rental and €2.50 (250[MB]) Minimum Charge)
    Skype%20Headset.pngSkype Unlimited Country: €4.54 p.m. (Including VAT)

Total: €32.29 p.m.

Assuming a Skype bit rate of 40 [kbps] and only consuming 250 [MB] of the Perlico broadband this would give 833 minutes of calls. Not unlimited, I know, but a substantial amount of time, nonetheless.

The per minute charge works out at 0.84 [cent/min]

And, Skype are offering 33% off their 3 and 12 monthly subscriptions 'till 1st June which brings the per minute charge down to 0.67 [cent/min]!

Does this qualify as a bargain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

use 13434, they charge half acent a minute to ring american mobiles and free for american landlines similar great rates all around teh world, you just sign up and enter 13434 before the number when you ring
    no contract fees no signup fees nothing, amazing company. check out their website, have been using tehm for 15 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭taung

I've been using call13434 myself, but have found their service to be unreliable. Not a bad service but just not reliable enough and not good enough sound quality for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Talk Talk seems to be best all in package

line rental

1mb BB

30min to irish mobile

all irish landline calls 24 hrs / day

200 international calls - additional calls at good rates

€57.99 / month

2mb BB for €5 extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭borntoshop

They are superb and can't ever be beaten on price, they are so convinced they ask you to let them know. I mean 0.5 cents a minute to the UK its so good.

http://www.call13434.ie/cheapertelco.php

They have a UK sister company too. 18185

mcaul wrote: »
    Talk Talk seems to be best all in package

line rental

1mb BB

30min to irish mobile

all irish landline calls 24 hrs / day

200 international calls - additional calls at good rates

€57.99 / month

2mb BB for €5 extra.

€57.99 p.m. is a bit too big a jump in price, for me, compared to €32.29.....

• Advertisement

borntoshop wrote: »
    They are superb and can't ever be beaten on price, they are so convinced they ask you to let them know. I mean 0.5 cents a minute to the UK its so good.

http://www.call13434.ie/cheapertelco.php

They have a UK sister company too. 18185

Their prices are the best but the service is well below the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

taung wrote: »
    Their prices are the best but the service is well below the best.

I use 13434 for all my calls to Irish mobiles (10 cent/min) UK, Germany, Sweden and Thailand and have never had any issues with call quality. Sometimes I get an engaged tone when calling Sweden when I know the phone is free, I presume this is capacity issues, that's my only grip.

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    I use 13434 for all my calls to Irish mobiles (10 cent/min) UK, Germany, Sweden and Thailand and have never had any issues with call quality. Sometimes I get an engaged tone when calling Sweden when I know the phone is free, I presume this is capacity issues, that's my only grip.

Yeah, these were the types of problems I was getting as well...

....and another common fault was getting a ringing tone from the call13434 service but the end phone was not ringing at all.......

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

those who use 13434, try www.dialnow.com.
    You have to register (very simple) and buy credit but its cheaper than 13434 for many countries.
    I use both of them.

confuzed wrote: »
    those who use 13434, try www.dialnow.com.
    You have to register (very simple) and buy credit but its cheaper than 13434 for many countries.
    I use both of them.

Dialnow is, in fact, the same company that runs call13434 (Finarea), details here;

http://www.myvoipprovider.com/blogcategory/Betamax/

I've tried this service as well, unsurprisingly, it has the same service problems as call13434!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Hmmm - how about using the likes of www.cheapcalls.ie or www.cheapchat.ie? Call quality can be hit or miss though, but very low cost to most countries, and most of the time they work well? Maybe using them in conjunction with the Perlico phone package?

In my experience, depending on Skype - while it is excellent value - doesn't guarantee quality of call all the time either - I guess you're dependant on the quality of your braodband - not great all the time with Skype/Eircom in my case, but good most of the time.

I haven't found a service that matches just picking up the phone and dialling direct, but I have no desire to burn bank notes while talking either! :)

Anyway, just a thought!

Doodlebug wrote: »
    Hmmm - how about using the likes of www.cheapcalls.ie or www.cheapchat.ie? Call quality can be hit or miss though, but very low cost to most countries, and most of the time they work well? Maybe using them in conjunction with the Perlico phone package?

In my experience, depending on Skype - while it is excellent value - doesn't guarantee quality of call all the time either - I guess you're dependant on the quality of your braodband - not great all the time with Skype/Eircom in my case, but good most of the time.

I haven't found a service that matches just picking up the phone and dialling direct, but I have no desire to burn bank notes while talking either! :)

Anyway, just a thought!

cheapcalls.ie is another Finarea company! Same problem!!

Both cheapcalls and cheapchat use 1890 numbers for calls to foreign landlines. These numbers are charged at the following eircom rates;

Daytime: 5.17 [cent/min]
    Evening/Weekend: 1.32 [cent/min]

The 1890 numbers are usually not part of "all-inclusive" minutes and so would add a lot to my phone bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Anan

Sign-up to Voipcheap.com. Update your account with 10 EUR using Paypal or credit card. Get an ATA ( Linksys or similar ) ~ about 50 to 60 EUR. Configure the SIP details as given in the website. Connect an analog phone to your ATA and off you go. Free calls to over 20 countries for 4 months. All you need is to top-up your account once in 4 months by another 10 EUR. No line rental, no contract, no crap. I am not sure if they give you a geographic number for Ireland which means you can't get incoming calls and if they provide you a geographic number it would cost more.

Anan wrote: »
    Sign-up to Voipcheap.com. Update your account with 10 EUR using Paypal or credit card. Get an ATA ( Linksys or similar ) ~ about 50 to 60 EUR. Configure the SIP details as given in the website. Connect an analog phone to your ATA and off you go. Free calls to over 20 countries for 4 months. All you need is to top-up your account once in 4 months by another 10 EUR. No line rental, no contract, no crap. I am not sure if they give you a geographic number for Ireland which means you can't get incoming calls and if they provide you a geographic number it would cost more.

Voipchep? Another Finarea company! This is getting repetitive now!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Cripes! If it turns out that Finarea control Eircom as well, its time to don my trusty old tinfoil hat, buy a carrier pigeon & be done with it! :D

I'd be very interested to see if there are any other companies offering a reliable, cheaper service than outlined in the first post!

Doodlebug wrote: »
    Cripes! If it turns out that Finarea control Eircom as well, its time to don the trust old tinfoil hat! :D

You never know! At the rate Babcock & Brown are going they will accept "any reasonable" offer for Eircom!!!;) I believe Eircom have, at times, put detecters in their network to see how much money they are losing to VOIP/Finarea companies......:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

If you look at wholesale voip prices (google it;)) You will find that there are 3 quailites of VoIP available Grey, Standard and Premium. I don't know which one Finarea/Betamax use but I'd guess at Standard. If your so concerned about call quality rather than accepting the fact that if you are getting something for next to nothing then quality may suffer a little, then try finding a VoIP provider that gives you Premium quality VoIP. I haven't used them but somebody like Blueface certainly charge Premium rates, you could ring them and see if they route calls via a premium service. The only other non-finarea VoIP company I can think of is Globe 7.

For anyone looking for a good ATA cheap I got a Linksys PAP 2 off this ebay seller in Hong Kong. Ordered on the 8th. of this month and arrived yesterday. Cost €20 inc. delivery.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Do-more wrote: »
    ....For anyone looking for a good ATA cheap I got a Linksys PAP 2 off this ebay seller in Hong Kong. Ordered on the 8th. of this month and arrived yesterday. Cost €20 inc. delivery.

I've that Linksys ATA and I paid a lot more than €20 :eek: They usually retail between €50 to €75. So that's a great price, and it's a good ATA. In fact you can have 2 phone working with this one adapter, you can see the 2 phone line ports in the photo.

You can set up 2 different accounts using this adapter, with separate VOIP providers on each line. So you can effectively have 2 outgoing phone lines, that 2 people could use, each paying separately using their own VOIP account. I get unlimited local, national and international calls for less than €3 per month, using Betamax. The quality is good, plus I've online itemised call details and automated re-charging. Calls to Irish mobiles are not included, they're 10/15c per min anytime. The only extra cost is the broadband, but I'd be paying for that anyway.

I used to use 13434 and I thought their service was excellent, couldn't fault it. There's no doubt it's still the easiest way to save if you're with Eircom. I only switched to VOIP when they stopping their freephone access number, that was a sweet deal. :p The other great deal, if you don't want to go the VOIP/broadband route, is switching to UTV Talk. They offer free evening and weekend, local & national calls to Ireland, and free evening and weekend calls to the UK. Then you can phone the 13434 access numbers for free, evenings and weekends, to make cheap international calls as well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bejasis123

taung wrote: »
    I've been using call13434 myself, but have found their service to be unreliable. Not a bad service but just not reliable enough and not good enough sound quality for me.
    have you tried www.nonoh.net very good for cheap calls

Yeah nonoh look good, they tick all the boxes:

* 120 days free calls
    * Credit does not expire.
    * Free calls to Ireland, UK, USA etc... lots more.
    * 10c per min calls to Irish mobiles.
    * New users can try Nonoh out for free for a total of 60 minutes. :)

They'll be my next VoIP provider. Another Betamax clone, it's hard to keep up with them all.
    Configuration instructions for your ATA: http://www.nonoh.net/en/sipp.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Bagel

I use www.telesavers.ie using an access code to ring both Prague and Bolivia and works fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭John mac

Anan wrote: »
    Sign-up to Voipcheap.com. Update your account with 10 EUR using Paypal or credit card. Get an ATA ( Linksys or similar ) ~ about 50 to 60 EUR. Configure the SIP details as given in the website. Connect an analog phone to your ATA and off you go. Free calls to over 20 countries for 4 months. All you need is to top-up your account once in 4 months by another 10 EUR. No line rental, no contract, no crap.

ive been using this crowd for about 2 years ring my sis in NZ every week quallity is the same as regular phone.

Yeah I find that too. The service is cheap as chips and the quality is perfect. Even better Domore has just posted, that there's a Linksys ATA on eBay for €20, delivered. Mega bargain. That's all you need to start using these super cheap VoIP services over a normal phone.

Advertisement