Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kevin Lunneys alleged attacker dies

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If the Americian backers decided to off-load QIH at below market value, there probably is a person within 200 miles who would be shocked if Sean Quinn emerged as the buyer.
    And that article isn't really accurate, it's not like the place was shut down and mothballed.
    Cyril McGuinnesses brother rammed a burning Jeep Cheokee , loaded with old tyres, into the foyer of the Quinn Packaging factory, causing 6000000 euro of damage four years ago.
    30 people were inside at the time.
    The glass factory was bought by a Spanish firm.
    Was talking to a concrete contractor two weeks ago and he claims the quality of the concrete is better now than under Quinn, and the drivers now have a bit of manners when delivering.

If that did happen would the people in the area happily continue working with the company and it's off shoots as if nothing has happened ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Ur man who died is probably the ugliest c*nt I've ever seen. Can't think of many more uglier people than that

A cold black heart always shows itself in the face of its bearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

If that did happen would the people in the area happily continue working with the company and it's off shoots as if nothing has happened ?

There's damn all other industry in the area, so if they've a mortgage to pay and kids to feed most probably would.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

is_that_so wrote: »
    Local "saintly" man who made good and was screwed. Plenty of examples of it in this country!

Sure doesn't he own the pub,the post office,the hardware and the undertaker's and employs plenty of the local 5-bellied, neer-do-well,wannabe hardmen who think the sun shines out of his holy hole.

Nearly every ****hole town in the country has one of his kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Whatever happened, the new management are sustaining employment in an area with not a lot of other options. Realistically, they should be forwarded the same if not more respect than the previous (dodgy risk taking) owners of the companies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

well if they ever decide to make a movie about this guy, and god only knows why, then they wont have far to look .....

DSC_0206.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I thought you were selling drugs.....

AllForIt wrote: »
    Truer word never said and not said often enough. Nobody scumbags trying to make a name for themselves cuz they can't cut it in the real world.

He's a hard man now but not in the sense he wished for.

Remember Johnny adare saying if he was born Catholic he'd be fighting for the other lot. That behaviour is in the genes. Scumbags most of them.

nuac wrote: »
    Why do you claim that?

Many reasons, the fact this has been going on for years unchecked.

The institutional smearing of Maurice mccabe for the crime of going against the cult.
    The institutional, widespread epidemic of falsified breath tests for which not one person was punished, fired or disciplined.
    The accounting scandal at the garda college, again nobody got so much as a smack on the wrist.
    The fact that since 2004 1 in 10 garda have made claims for injury incurred while performing their duties, way above any other profession.
    Etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

what the fool didn't realise is the attack on Mr. Lunney, had wider economic implications. ie the ability/willingness of MNCs/FDI to locate in the border area and perhaps beyond.
    he effectively attracted a hugh $hitstorm on his head, on both sides of the border and on both islands.

You can be sure if it was done to some poor lorry driver there wouldn't be a word about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

NIMAN wrote: »
    ... and in the end it was our useless police force who actually provided the intel to the UK team to break down his door.

They had no idea about him, who he was or what he had done.

Took the English cops to arrest him and do anything about it though. They are not as easily hampered and called off as the soft soap Irish ones only good for collecting motor tax and speeding fines. There many areas all over Ireland that are effectively un-policed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Bambi wrote: »
    The good people of Fermanagh call a stanley knife a box knife? :confused:

Fermanagh is a lovely part of our island where many fine people live.
    As with any other place in Ireland some of the residents are not native to the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

I don`t think anyone ordered the attack. It was not a terrorist attack in that it was not politically motivated. It was not business motivated in that Sean Quinn had nothing to do with it and nobody else could reasonably be expected to be assured of Mr Lunneys job had he decided to quit. I think it was just a few local lads unhappy with the way Dublin institutions ignored the incompetence of the financial regulator (which all taxpayers had to fund) and opted to go after the assets of Mr Quinn. Such anger with the Dublin government is entirely understandable in my opinion.

I don`t know who this person in the UK was but I do not believe he "ordered" an attack. He was probably someone certain individuals in positions of power here in Ireland had a gripe against and decided to use the horrendous attack in Cavan as an excuse to make trouble for that person. This is just what I think is most likely. There is a culture in this country of assuming certain individuals are troublemakers and then the authorities cause trouble for those people. Granted these people are probably not angels but I think such crude methods are wrong and can lead to injustices.

For example, a former Garda Commissioner announced a few years ago that Gerry Adams was in the IRA and based on that, we were all supposed to believe it. Maybe it was true but I require irrefutable evidence which I deem to be beyond all reasonable doubt. Then wasn`t there some attempt by the Gardaí to pin something on some people up in Donegal a few years back? This is to say nothing of all the other scandals around fake breath tests and so on.

Call me a skeptic but I just don`t think anyone ordered the attack on Mr Lunney.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don`t think anyone ordered the attack. It was not a terrorist attack in that it was not politically motivated. It was not business motivated in that Sean Quinn had nothing to do with it and nobody else could reasonably be expected to be assured of Mr Lunneys job had he decided to quit. I think it was just a few local lads unhappy with the way Dublin institutions ignored the incompetence of the financial regulator (which all taxpayers had to fund) and opted to go after the assets of Mr Quinn. Such anger with the Dublin government is entirely understandable in my opinion.

I don`t know who this person in the UK was but I do not believe he "ordered" an attack. He was probably someone certain individuals in positions of power here in Ireland had a gripe against and decided to use the horrendous attack in Cavan as an excuse to make trouble for that person. This is just what I think is most likely. There is a culture in this country of assuming certain individuals are troublemakers and then the authorities cause trouble for those people. Granted these people are probably not angels but I think such crude methods are wrong and can lead to injustices.

For example, a former Garda Commissioner announced a few years ago that Gerry Adams was in the IRA and based on that, we were all supposed to believe it. Maybe it was true but I require irrefutable evidence which I deem to be beyond all reasonable doubt. Then wasn`t there some attempt by the Gardaí to pin something on some people up in Donegal a few years back? This is to say nothing of all the other scandals around fake breath tests and so on.

Call me a skeptic but I just don`t think anyone ordered the attack on Mr Lunney.

He probably did it to himself. You’re right.

He probably did it to himself. You’re right.

I said some local lads probably did it of their own volition and by the way, salty snacks are bad for you tayto lover.

You had me til gerry Adams was mentioned. Please tell me that whole thing was sarcasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

I said some local lads probably did it of their own volition and by the way, salty snacks are bad for you tayto lover.

And continuous ****etalking is hard on everyone's heads realitykeeper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Some name you have- obviously the reality is kept in a different part of your brain than your thoughts?

terrydel wrote: »
    You had me til gerry Adams was mentioned. Please tell me that whole thing was sarcasm.

Gerry Adams denies he was in the IRA. A lot of people who don`t like him because he is a republican and they are not, tend not to believe him. I am a not a republican (I am ultra right wing and ultra nationalist) however, I think not liking or strongly disagreeing with him does not cut it when it comes to deciding on his integrity.

I have an intense dislike of Michael D, but I wouldn`t dream of questioning his sincerity or integrity, let alone accuse him of anything based on that dislike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

padd b1975 wrote: »
    "Once recruited by MI5".

Show me a Provo and I'll show you a tout.

If he was on MI5 payroll there’s a lovely irony that someone else took the King’s shilling (or 5 grand a week) to inform on his safe house. If the police were let raid it MI5 must be spoilt for choice for touts among the dissidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Gerry Adams denies he was in the IRA. A lot of people who don`t like him because he is a republican and they are not, tend not to believe him. I am a not a republican (I am ultra right wing and ultra nationalist) however, I think not liking or strongly disagreeing with him does not cut it when it comes to deciding on his integrity.

I have an intense dislike of Michael D, but I wouldn`t dream of questioning his sincerity or integrity, let alone accuse him of anything based on that dislike.

And a lot more people tend not to believe him because he's a liar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timistry

Karma is a bitch

And a lot more people tend not to believe him because he's a liar!

Perhaps so but being a liar is not proof of IRA membership. If it were, then perhaps Bertie Ahern could be accused of being in the IRA because he told untruths to a tribunal about his finances. Ivor Callely was jailed because of something to do with making a false claim if memory serves me correctly, so would that make him a member of the IRA. How about all those politicians who make promises they don`t deliver on, are they all in the IRA?

Proof my little mixed up penny, that is what is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

high_king wrote: »
    Took the English cops to arrest him and do anything about it though. They are not as easily hampered and called off as the soft soap Irish ones only good for collecting motor tax and speeding fines. There many areas all over Ireland that are effectively un-policed.

The Derbyshire police were literally only acting at the request of the Gardaí/PSNI. The English cops didn’t know the guy from Adam, and had no reason to. He was in a safe house in England. How do you think the Gardaí were supposed to arrest him themselves when he was outside their jurisdiction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Ain't it curious how Gerry's never taken a single action against countless people who supposedly slander him by stating categorically that he was a member of the Provisional IRA.

You'd imagine that would have been a bugbear of his, not to mention a fairly lucrative means of setting the record straight.

But no, nothing, nada, not a peep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

high_king wrote: »

Not just for collecting motor tax and speeding fines. In a week where the Guards have been widely commended for how they conducted the investigation that secured the conviction of Ireland’s youngest murderers.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

For example, a former Garda Commissioner announced a few years ago that Gerry Adams was in the IRA and based on that, we were all supposed to believe it. Maybe it was true but I require irrefutable evidence which I deem to be beyond all reasonable doubt. Then wasn`t there some attempt by the Gardao pin something on some people up in Donegal a few years back? This is to say nothing of all the other scandals around fake breath tests and so on.

Even by your uniquely low standards, this is abject nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Sigh:(

riemann wrote: »
    Innocent until proven guilty?

You have a very simple mind my friend, if you think the ringleader of this whole operation conveniently died while officers were searching his house.

sorry 4 ur loss

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Perhaps so but being a liar is not proof of IRA membership. If it were, then perhaps Bertie Ahern could be accused of being in the IRA because he told untruths to a tribunal about his finances. Ivor Callely was jailed because of something to do with making a false claim if memory serves me correctly, so would that make him a member of the IRA. How about all those politicians who make promises they don`t deliver on, are they all in the IRA?

Proof my little mixed up penny, that is what is required.

My son told me he didn't scratch my car last year. I know he did. Fuk me, he must be in the 'ra too. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Reports that Cyril was a cousin of former Sinn Fein deputy Martin McGuinness. Can anyone confirm?

Ah yes let's point the finger at mc Guinness now??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement