Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

eir tv apple tv bundle

• 30-10-2019 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Signed up for the new bundle deal last week, coming from eir tv. Girl on the phone selling it said its just the same as the current eir tv, just you get apple tv subscription, 4k etc etc. Turns out you cant really record any programs on it, bar eir sport. I dont mind keeping the old subscription but I defo have no use for the apple tv bundle. They did mention a 14 day cooling off period when they were flying through the t & c. Havent been able to get through to them yet but just wondering if anyone can offer advice in the event that they wont cancel the deal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I feel I've been done. My life wont be worth living as the missus can't record her favourite shows. I installed it this morning as the switch over was today. Plus I didn't get channels I was promised, but can have them for an extra tenner.

The recordings issue is disgraceful. Calling rep now to get this deal reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Aliveireland

What channels didn't you get? Whats the issue with the recording?

What channels didn't you get? Whats the issue with the recording?

You cant record rte virgin media etc. Only obscure channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I'm in the same boat.

I was attracted by same offer of recording and I thought I could catch-up on any channel for past 7 days but no, only a few Eir Sports are highlighted in bold white that means they only are recordable.

I was also disappointed the vast majority of channels are only in SD not HD including Channel 4, more 4, E4

I was told on their messaging system today I'll have to call 1901 to discuss cancellation.

I bet this will be fun

• Advertisement

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat.

I was attracted by same offer of recording and I thought I could catch-up on any channel for past 7 days but no, only a few Eir Sports are highlighted in bold white that means they only are recordable.

I was also disappointed the vast majority of channels are only in SD not HD including Channel 4, more 4, E4

I was told on their messaging system today I'll have to call 1901 to discuss cancellation.

I bet this will be fun

I called them today. The second the call was answered, I was told that due to a heavy volume of calls, they would call me back. This was after a customer care answer and a sales answer. It seems the cancellation department are inundated. Not surprised. Didn't get a call back either. A basic thing like recording should be as standard as fook on any TV service. A sham.

I was with Vodafone. Rang them and they just need the UAN number from Eir to switch me back. Getting that is the next problem

Do not touch this Eir service.

Glad I found this thread. Hmmmmm. Eircom not doing any favours for television as an older medium here at all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I called them today. The second the call was answered, I was told that due to a heavy volume of calls, they would call me back. This was after a customer care answer and a sales answer. It seems the cancellation department are inundated. Not surprised. Didn't get a call back either. A basic thing like recording should be as standard as fook on any TV service. A sham.

I was with Vodafone. Rang them and they just need the UAN number from Eir to switch me back. Getting that is the next problem

Your UAN number should be on an old bill from your provider.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Your UAN number should be on an old bill from your provider.

Only switched to EIR this morning so no UAN yet. Vodafone want the new Eir version. Its crazy **** altogether,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Only switched to EIR this morning so no UAN yet. Vodafone want the new Eir version. Its crazy **** altogether,

The UAN might be in Myeir if you have registered for it.

my.eir.ie

Go to bills then under account information click view on UAN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I’ve been looking for an alternative to SKY because of the rising cost but the biggest obstacle is my wife who I know will lose her mind without the slickness of the SKY interface, catchup service etc.

I had planned to look in to this service but I guess I can cross it off the list now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I’ve been looking for an alternative to SKY because of the rising cost but the biggest obstacle is my wife who I know will lose her mind without the slickness of the SKY interface, catchup service etc.

I had planned to look in to this service but I guess I can cross it off the list now

General rule of thumb, if it’s eir, run a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Signed up for the new bundle deal last week, coming from eir tv. Girl on the phone selling it said its just the same as the current eir tv, just you get apple tv subscription, 4k etc etc. Turns out you cant really record any programs on it, bar eir sport. I dont mind keeping the old subscription but I defo have no use for the apple tv bundle. They did mention a 14 day cooling off period when they were flying through the t & c. Havent been able to get through to them yet but just wondering if anyone can offer advice in the event that they wont cancel the deal

Amy update on cancellation? Please share

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Surrender

Just moved house with eir. No more eirvision, just apple tv with no option to record on major channels (bbc).

Amazing that the older eirvision box could record anything anywhere and the apple tv app is limited. My older Eir subscription wasn't amazing but I could series record easily enough.

Anyone know why the recording is so limited?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The Apple TV box doesn't record. I assume the limited "recording" available to you is actually stuff available on-demand rather than actually recording. iPlayer isn't available here, so that's why you can't "record" BBC, for example.

We finally managed to escape the EIR drama and go back to the Vodafone service we had. But it's still a hard drill as we have to get new Vodafone gear installed and a 99 euro installation fee. The caller on the EIR line today sounded so despondent, disinterested and rude. Basically gave me the UAN and fook off. Well fook off to you EIR. Once again, I'll say that they don't give a fiddlers what they sell you and that whole Apple TV thing is a disaster. Can't believe it hasn't made more news.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Has anyone tried going back to the original Eir box? Does it work as it used to? Eir told me I would be penalised for ending the Apple TV contract early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Be careful there, i rang Friday about a cancellation and same as they said they would call me back monday, no call, rang today and was told there was no note's on a call back...

upinthesky wrote: »
    Be careful there, i rang Friday about a cancellation and same as they said they would call me back monday, no call, rang today and was told there was no note's on a call back...

I kept calling and got my UAN. Rang Vodafone and waiting for installation as per my post above. EIR even tried to tell me that I was outside the 14 day cooling off period. I had the proof I wasn't. Chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Brian.C

Just tried to accept the 12 months free subscription for apple tv and it looked for me to pay 4.99 for apple + hardware.
    I already have the new Eir apple tv box. Any idea what this is??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

14 day cooling off period yes, but it's not possible to revert back to eir vision

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You cant record rte virgin media etc. Only obscure channels.

Honestly think eir thought people would simply be wet between the legs at the thought of an apple product and would be happy to accept any amount of shortcomings.

Your uan never changes. The same one will be on your old Vodafone bills

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Eir lads eir, disaster at everything they do

lawred2 wrote: »
    Honestly think eir thought people would simply be wet between the legs at the thought of an apple product and would be happy to accept any amount of shortcomings.

I agree. I'm familiar with a lot of Apple products, especially the Imac for work. That's where it ends for me though. Android phone and heading back to a simple yet effective TV service. I really can't see this Apple TV box being effective. Unless you are willing to accept its shortcomings and clumsy interface.
    lawred2 wrote: »
    Your uan never changes. The same one will be on your old Vodafone bills

Well EIR gave me a different one that Vodafone accepted. It was different to the original Vodafone one. that they wouldn't accept. Not saying your wrong, but that's what transpired.
    Eir lads eir, disaster at everything they do

I was with them 4 years ago on the old EIR TV box system. Had no problems with landline, broadband or TV. Switched to Vodafone because they offered a better deal that EIR didn't want to match. But this Apple TV thing is so limited in terms of the basics.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Each company has their own account number, but the UAN (Universal Account Number) is the one that is common to them all. originally issued by Eir, and then used by all to transfer over services from one to another. Not beyond the realms of possibility that Eir made a bags of it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭grinder23

whiterebel wrote: »
    Each company has their own account number, but the UAN (Universal Account Number) is the one that is common to them all. originally issued by Eir, and then used by all to transfer over services from one to another. Not beyond the realms of possibility that Eir made a bags of it, though.

Everytime you move provider you get a new UAN

grinder23 wrote: »

Not very universal then is it

No, you get a new account number per provider. UAN stays the same, hence universal. I’ve had my UAN through about 8 changes in 20 years, since we first moved into the house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Not according to comreg, if you're keeping your phone number. That's the whole point of a UAN, just like your MPRN for electricity.

Advertisement