Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now ye're talking - to a teacher in Dubai

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How do you work in a country that has so little respect for its own citizens or the majority of foreigners working there? They aren't a poor country yet they treat the majority of building workers and labourers worse than cattle while their women are all forced to be covered from head to toe in black robes while the men go around in lite white robes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

There are a few GAA clubs over here, so if you're in anyway sporty, I imagine that would help the transition a bit quicker.

Are GAA jerseys not illegal and would they not be stoned for wearing them in public!? And also how do the players cope with not being stoned drunk every weekend like they do here in Ireland? :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I kind of feel like I'm repeating myself now, so this is the last time I'm answering this type of question, if people don't mind.

Don't feel you have to repeat the same question all the time.

If you don't mind what subject(s) do you teach?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Love this AMA, well done to you!

Just wondering if there are any older Irish teachers in Dubai/UAE? I’m 50 and mortgage won’t be paid off until I’m 67, so was considering going out for a two year period in about 8 or 10 years time once my own children are finished college. Would I have any chance of getting a job out there or would they not take me on account of my age?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Mars Bar wrote: »
    No, sadly I am not going to Westlife on Thursday.��
    (Although if you know of anyone selling two tickets, I'm your gal!)
    I'm teaching in Secondary, not primary, but my school goes right the way up from Junior Infants to 6th Year of Secondary.
    Looking at the facilities that even a "midmarket" school like mine has, it is really depressing to think of the lack of facilities in a lot schools back home. The Dept of Ed back home really do need to make a serious investment in education, but we all know that the likelihood of that happening is sadly less than zero!
    My contracted hours are 7am to either 3pm or 4pm, depending on the day, but I often end up bringing a lot of paperwork home. I don't teach a "core curricular" subject, so I see an average of 600 kids per week. There's a lot of marking and planning as a result, which I just don't get the time I need to get it done in my normal work hours.

Wa ‘alaykum al-salaam min eind Dubai!!

A massive part of my job is to go to schools in Abu Dhabi and deliver football coaching sessions as part of the ECA or ECP. Full size astro pitches and swimming pools...it just makes your eyes water.
    I am aware that parents are paying good money for it, though.

I always slightly envy the package that teachers get. One return flight a year, accommodation and the sweet teacher promotions on car rentals and some brunches. :o
    Sorry off topic: There's packages everywhere here regarding rentals for the most part. However if you think you would be here more than two years i would buy a second hand car! 
    I don't have any kids here but school fees are astronomical... if you're lucky you get an allowance from work!

I have heard teachers have to amend markings to offset aggrieved parents. Is this true. Would make me doubt the system and actual grades...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

There's a good mix of students. I teach both some of the loveliest students, and some of the most self-entitled and downright rudest students I've ever taught. In a good school, the rude and self-entitled ones will be put back in their boxes by management quick enough!

Interested in how management put them back in their boxes. Can you expand please?

• Company Representative Posts: 63 Verified rep I'm a teacher in Dubai, AMA

how long is the school year over there, I mean do the students get the same amount of holidays as here in Ireland?

The school this year begins on 1st September, and finishes on 2nd July, so it is a longer year.
    We get a one week break in October, 3 weeks for Christmas, and one week in February. We also get most of the national and religious holidays off.
    For the holy month of Ramadan, schools are all on reduced hours because a lot of the teachers and students will be fasting. At the end of Ramadan we get a few days off for the Eid celebrations.

Why wouldn't you want to settle there long term?

Are students more studious there?

What are the differences between the young and old in politics social attitudes etc? Are they just as conservative or less so?

Have you learnt any Arabic?

Long-term I'll always want to be closer to my family, so that would be a personal choice for me.
    I think it's a mix, same as everywhere. I have some incredibly dedicated and hardworking students, and then I have some kids who think that their parents money will solve everything for them for the rest of their lives!
    I find that the younger generations are definitely becoming less conservative than their predecessors, bit you obviously still wouldn't eat a rather sandwich while drinking a pint in front of them, because that's haram.
    Naäam, I have learnt to speak a little bit of "survival" Arabic (hello, goodbye etc.), but I definitely want to learn more this year! I can't write in Arabic, but once I can speak it a bit, that doesn't bother me!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The school this year begins on 1st September, and finishes on 2nd July, so it is a longer year.
    We get a one week break in October, 3 weeks for Christmas, and one week in February. We also get most of the national and religious holidays off.
    For the holy month of Ramadan, schools are all on reduced hours because a lot of the teachers and students will be fasting. At the end of Ramadan we get a few days off for the Eid celebrations.

2 weeks for spring break too

Are GAA jerseys not illegal and would they not be stoned for wearing them in public!? And also how do the players cope with not being stoned drunk every weekend like they do here in Ireland? :D

GAA jerseys are not illegal, and are worn fairly regularly. Absolutely no stoning for wearing them in public!
    As for the not drinking part, if you ever come to Dubai, you'll see the expats drink more here than they ever did at home! Pretty much every hotel have a bar attached, and a lot of the restaurants have alcohol licences. If you have your own personal alcohol licence, then you can legally buy alcohol in one of the off-licence's, and drink at home.

• Advertisement

2 weeks for spring break too

Knew I was forgetting something!
    Yes, two weeks for Spring Break in addition to the rest of the breaks!

Don't feel you have to repeat the same question all the time.

If you don't mind what subject(s) do you teach?

Thanks.
    I'm a secondary school Music teacher.

Deanov wrote: »
    I have heard teachers have to amend markings to offset aggrieved parents. Is this true. Would make me doubt the system and actual grades...

I'm happy enough with renting. I do get the point about buying a car second hand though, but at the moment I don't know where in the world I'll be this time next year, so it doesn't make sense for me to buy at the moment. I'd like to stay in Dubai, but it really depends on the jobs that come up.

I legally cannot talk about the above as part of my contract.
    However, what I will say, is that I wholeheartedly disagree with anyone being made to change a students grade to one that they have not earned, as it is not a true reflection of the child's work. It does the students no favours for when they eventually sit their iGCSE's or A Levels, as the exam boards won't be changing anyone's grades to suit parents!
    Also, it's not always the parents that are the ones telling teachers to change a students grade. It mostly comes from within the school itself. Or so I've heard....

Love this AMA, well done to you!

Just wondering if there are any older Irish teachers in Dubai/UAE? I’m 50 and mortgage won’t be paid off until I’m 67, so was considering going out for a two year period in about 8 or 10 years time once my own children are finished college. Would I have any chance of getting a job out there or would they not take me on account of my age?

Thanks!

I haven't come across any Irish teachers in their 50's over here, but that's not to say that they don't exist!
    One of the departments in my school has a teacher who I'm pretty sure is in their 50's at this stage, so it does happen.
    Last I'd heard, expat employees in Dubai legally had to be under 60 in order to get a work visa.
    Most teachers in schools that I know of are under 40 though, unless they're right the way up in management.
    Sorry, hope this helps a bit!

Interested in how management put them back in their boxes. Can you expand please?

Teachers have to log behaviour incidents on the school system online. If a student hits a certain number of behaviour points, they have to go on report to their form tutor. If they don't improve, it's escalated to the Year Head, then Head of Primary/Secondary, then Principal. There's also internal and external exclusions.
    Form tutors are expected to keep an eye on the log for their classes and talk it out with the student(s). There's also detentions, phonecalls/emails home, and meetings with parents. The kids are constantly reminded by their teachers that there is a certain level of behaviour and manners expected of them, and if the behaviour isn't up to par, they're called out on it.
    Not that any of the above works on a very small (but disruptive) minority of the kids though, unfortunately....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Know a good few teachers either out there or have been out there, it's pretty grim the way younger teachers are treated here with no hours, no pay, only subbing etc. Do you think it will improve here for teachers in the next few years ?

Have you been to Abu Dhabi? Irish teachers there too

What is the nightlife like, is it much different to here with Irish bars, nightclubs etc?

Have you ever encountered Christy or Daniel Kinahan, or any of the Irish drug dealers that live in exile in Dubai? Lol :)

Know a good few teachers either out there or have been out there, it's pretty grim the way younger teachers are treated here with no hours, no pay, only subbing etc. Do you think it will improve here for teachers in the next few years ?

Have you been to Abu Dhabi? Irish teachers there too

What is the nightlife like, is it much different to here with Irish bars, nightclubs etc?

Have you ever encountered Christy or Daniel Kinahan, or any of the Irish drug dealers that live in exile in Dubai? Lol :)

Yeah, the situation back home is very grim. I'd love to think that there's going to be a dramatic improvement in the next few years, but considering how long the Department of Education and Teaching Council have already had to try and fix the problems for teachers back home, I'm not optimistic.
    In my own opinion, when the Minister for Education came to Dubai to meet the expat teachers, and hear all about why we weren't coming home to teach, he came across as very apathetic to it all, and didn't really engage with any of the teachers or topics that were brought up. If that's the attitude that the head of the Department of Education has towards teachers both at home and abroad, then I can't see a single thing changing for the better, which is so disheartening and frustrating!
    I've only been to Any Dhabi on a day trip to the Grand Mosque (would highly recommend, the architecture is absolutely stunning!), but I'm hoping to go up there a bit more this year. Any suggestions for places not to miss in Abu Dhabi?
    There's no shortage of nightlife over here!
    There are bars (Irish and otherwise) aplenty, and (very, very) boozy "brunches" (all you can eat & drink for usually 3 or 4 hours). I think the main difference between here and home, is that when you go out drinking/partying, you're really going to go for it. It's rare that I've been on a casual night out with just the one or two drinks, which is a shame, since I'm not a big drinker.

No, I've never met any of them (as far as I'm aware, anyway)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

If you ever get bored with Dubai, you could look at Northeast Scotland. I lived there for five years (Aberdeen) and they were advertising for teachers on the telly - they are that desperate! It's not a bad place to live either, only an hour from Dublin.

Dr.Sanchez wrote: »
    If you ever get bored with Dubai, you could look at Northeast Scotland. I lived there for five years (Aberdeen) and they were advertising for teachers on the telly - they are that desperate! It's not a bad place to live either, only an hour from Dublin.

I've kind of accepted at this stage that if I ever want to come home to Ireland, then the UK is probably as close as I'm likely to get, considering the lack of sustainable jobs back home. I probably would have been more inclined to head towards London though, for all of the different Music venues there.
    Something worth keeping in mind though, thanks for the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yeah, the situation back home is very grim. I'd love to think that there's going to be a dramatic improvement in the next few years, but considering how long the Department of Education and Teaching Council have already had to try and fix the problems for teachers back home, I'm not optimistic.
    In my own opinion, when the Minister for Education came to Dubai to meet the expat teachers, and hear all about why we weren't coming home to teach, he came across as very apathetic to it all, and didn't really engage with any of the teachers or topics that were brought up. If that's the attitude that the head of the Department of Education has towards teachers both at home and abroad, then I can't see a single thing changing for the better, which is so disheartening and frustrating!
    I've only been to Any Dhabi on a day trip to the Grand Mosque (would highly recommend, the architecture is absolutely stunning!), but I'm hoping to go up there a bit more this year. Any suggestions for places not to miss in Abu Dhabi?
    There are bars (Irish and otherwise) aplenty, and (very, very) boozy "brunches" (all you can eat & drink for usually 3 or 4 hours). I think the main difference between here and home, is that when you go out drinking/partying, you're really going to go for it. It's rare that I've been on a casual night out with just the one or two drinks, which is a shame, since I'm not a big drinker.

Qasr Al Watan, Emirates Palace, The Founders Memorial and the Heritage Village are all close to each other. There's the new Qasr Al Hosn. I'm assuming you went across to Wahat Al Karama when you visited the Mosque?

I haven't been to the Louvre or the nearby Manarat Al Saadiyat but you can go to the Louvre and you can kayak around it. That's on my list to do.

Then there's the stuff on Yas Island such as Warner Bros., The Waterworld and Ferrari World (with the fastest rollercoaster in the world).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Mistynight

Interesting thread. Thanks for taking the time.
    Two quesions:

Would adding a second subject make it easier to find realistic hours at home?

Do you notice the vast inequality in Dubai or is it something that is evident? It’s always put me off the idea of travelling/working there.

Like others have said, the salary seems lower than I would have expected. But it makes sense given the number of teachers heading over annually. Having accommodation taken care of is definitely a huge perk.

Mistynight wrote: »
    Interesting thread. Thanks for taking the time.
    Two quesions:

Would adding a second subject make it easier to find realistic hours at home?

I'm not a teacher but have been involved in school admin so I'll answer on that basis.

Yes it would make it much easier to get hours. Music is one of the worst single subjects to have.

An Irish school that has one class of music for each year group maxes at 13 or 14 hours for a music teacher.

Thats not a full time job. There are very few Irish schools that would have multiple music classes in a year group.

There's massive demands for maths, sciences and languages but massive oversupply for music and some other subjects.

Off the top of my head I will refer to a large Irish secondary school that has 2 teachers who teach music. Both have another subject they use that gives most of their hours. There is another teacher employed by the school that is qualified to teach music but doesn't have any music hours.

Thanks.
    I'm a secondary school Music teacher.

Thanks for the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

30k tax free and your accommodation paid for is not the same as some poor fool earning that money in somewhere like Dublin and paying a fortune in tax and rent.
    But then again you are only in here to troll and insult like the rest of the threads you do it.
    What a loser.

That's not even the average wage in Ireland. She could have stayed and got a better job in a different area but those who can do while those who can't teach.

I'm not a teacher but have been involved in school admin so I'll answer on that basis.

Yes it would make it much easier to get hours. Music is one of the worst single subjects to have.

An Irish school that has one class of music for each year group maxes at 13 or 14 hours for a music teacher.

Thats not a full time job. There are very few Irish schools that would have multiple music classes in a year group.

There's massive demands for maths, sciences and languages but massive oversupply for music and some other subjects.

Off the top of my head I will refer to a large Irish secondary school that has 2 teachers who teach music. Both have another subject they use that gives most of their hours. There is another teacher employed by the school that is qualified to teach music but doesn't have any music hours.
    As far as I'm aware English and History are two of the most oversubscribed. Can be very difficult getting work with them.

As far as I'm aware English and History are two of the most oversubscribed. Can be very difficult getting work with them.

Quiet possibly. I was referring to foreign languages when I said languages. History was one I was thinking of when I said there's other subjects with over supply.

English definitely has a high supply but there's a high demand too. If you have a useful in demand second subject you will definitely get a lot of hours as an English teacher.

Too many mono subject English teachers though.

vriesmays wrote: »
    That's not even the average wage in Ireland. She could have stayed and got a better job in a different area but those who can do while those who can't teach.
    Bit of manners would be nice for someone taking their time to answer questions. You're also wrong in your point but since you are on the wind up it's not worth discussing further.

Qasr Al Watan, Emirates Palace, The Founders Memorial and the Heritage Village are all close to each other. There's the new Qasr Al Hosn. I'm assuming you went across to Wahat Al Karama when you visited the Mosque?

I haven't been to the Louvre or the nearby Manarat Al Saadiyat but you can go to the Louvre and you can kayak around it. That's on my list to do.

Then there's the stuff on Yas Island such as Warner Bros., The Waterworld and Ferrari World (with the fastest rollercoaster in the world).

Much appreciated!
    No fear of me going on that rollercoaster though! 😂

Quiet possibly. I was referring to foreign languages when I said languages. History was one I was thinking of when I said there's other subjects with over supply.

English definitely has a high supply but there's a high demand too. If you have a useful in demand second subject you will definitely get a lot of hours as an English teacher.

Too many mono subject English teachers though.
    Yeah I think Irish in particular and all the other languages are in big demand. But I think if the terms (eg lack of hours and lack of permanent position) aren't good enough teachers will keep going to the Middle East.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I actually have never been to Abu Dhabi but my cousin taught there for several years and she enjoyed it. Think it could be a bit more conservative than Dubai but I'm not 100% sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement