Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Avantcard Cashback €144 - New & existing customers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Bojill

You can either get tesco points or rewards !! Not sure which one i will chose

I gave up the tesco points on the avant card.
    80 euro spend= 10 tesco points =10c in tesco vouchers
    With the cashback 80 spend= 1 euro cash

I realise that certain transactions will now not count, but I sometimes struggle to find things to use the vouchers on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

485955.JPG

This is how the cashback reward will appear. It shows up on recent transactions as a €xx payment, and not just the monthly statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Bojill wrote:
    I gave up the tesco points on the avant card. 80 euro spend= 10 tesco points =10c in tesco vouchers With the cashback 80 spend= 1 euro cash

Same here not worth the hassle will get normal tesco points on clubcard anyways..took the switch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

some interesting retailers listed in the link on first post that are eligible

"92. Snowmobile Dealers
    98. Swimming Pools Sales
    106. Wig and Toupee Stores"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks OP. Will Call tomorrow.
    I’m currently Avantcard, MBNA before that and originally got the card through a pigsback offer where you got piggy points based on your monthly balance.

I remember one month I got 20k worth of points. Just moving into a new house and bought everything in the card!

I had 7337 points carrying forward into 2019!
    Gone now due to inactivity though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So quick and easy.
    30 seconds and sorted.

New style card being sent out also.

Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

+1 thanks op.

With MBNA long time now and while they have advantages scheme it’s nothing you won’t get elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

kceire wrote: »
    So quick and easy.
    30 seconds and sorted.

New style card being sent out also.

Thanks OP.

Can it be done without getting a new card? I want to keep my platinum card.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

McGaggs wrote: »
    Can it be done without getting a new card? I want to keep my platinum card.

As per first post, no new card, application or account is required.

Lady asked me did I want a new card or was I happy to keep card. Went over options and agreed cash back was the better choice for me ( I pay in full each month).I’m happy to keep card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Davy wrote: »
    485955.JPG

This is how the cashback reward will appear. It shows up on recent transactions as a €xx payment, and not just the monthly statement.

When does it show up? End of statement month or after each transaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I signed up for this on Saturday. My statement issued today but there was no cash back on it. I had at least €1000 in transactions last month and most qualify for the 1.25% cash back

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ted1 wrote: »
    The interest is expensive. If you are paying it off each month you may aswell just use a debit card.
    And even if you're not you are getting a loan which does not require approval. Sensibly managed they are a handy back up to cheaper options.

I signed up for this on Saturday. My statement issued today but there was no cash back on it. I had at least €1000 in transactions last month and most qualify for the 1.25% cash back

I think the cashback is done on a calendar basis rather than on the billing date cycle you have. So Mongfinder, you should see the cashback the end of next week.

I would be of the opinion that cash back kicks in from signing up date onwards.

Most Irish bookies have best price policy but it’s from when the bet is placed, doesn’t cover the period before.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

Thanks OP, seems like a no-brainer for current customers with Avant.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

There are many benefits to using credit rather than a debit card.
    Saying you are better using debit if clearing each month is not a fair statement and while both have there beneifts i would say using credit is probably better and safer.

Obviously you dont want to go down the road of using it as a stop go for easy borrowing as it is extortionate for long term lending. As has been pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭glen123

Does anybody know if Cashback will apply if Avant card is with Curve card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

glen123 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if Cashback will apply if Avant card is with Curve card?
    How do the curve transactions show up in your avant account?

If they don't maintain the original category (retail or social to qualify), then I don't think you'll get the cashback.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭glen123

wench wrote: »
    How do the curve transactions show up in your avant account?

If they don't maintain the original category (retail or social to qualify), then I don't think you'll get the cashback.

Here is the example:

CRV*LIDL IRELAND London GBR €27.34

Category: GROCERY STORES/SUPERMARKETS
    Transaction Date: 16/07/2019

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

That should probably work ok so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭123654789

Bojill wrote: »
    I gave up the tesco points on the avant card.
    80 euro spend= 10 tesco points =10c in tesco vouchers
    With the cashback 80 spend= 1 euro cash

I realise that certain transactions will now not count, but I sometimes struggle to find things to use the vouchers on.

Also keep in mind when deciding that Tesco are cutting back on rewards available.
    joeysoap wrote: »

I would be of the opinion that cash back kicks in from signing up date onwards.

I asked - yes it's from signing date or possibly day after, depending on what time of day it is when they switch you over.

Good'n'easy offer, thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Bojill

I got the full 12 euro cashback today, only joined it mid way through July, think they gave me cashback for the complete month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

I got 69c out of €500+ spend. ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Hi folks i have a Bank of Ireland Mastercard and im going to switch, what i want to know is,

how long before card is sent and is active?

do i have to notify my old Card company?

will i be charged for two cards with government duty?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I got the full 12 euro cashback today, only joined it mid way through July, think they gave me cashback for the complete month.
    I have the card since the MBNA days and was tempted to make the call but after reading the post below I'm not too bothered.

Why is there such a difference in rewards?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,669 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Folks the AIB platinum card cash back is a lot better than this

Spend over €5,000 (and up to €50,000) in any 12 month period from your account opening date, we will give you 0.5% of that amount back (maximum award for each 12 month period is €225)*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Cyrus wrote: »
    Folks the AIB platinum card cash back is a lot better than this

Spend over €5,000 (and up to €50,000) in any 12 month period from your account opening date, we will give you 0.5% of that amount back (maximum award for each 12 month period is €225)*

Spend €1000 a month on qualifying goods and services and you'll get €144 back per year with Avantcard. What goods and services qualify with boi?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Q&A

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I have the card since the MBNA days and was tempted to make the call but after reading the post below I'm not too bothered.

Why is there such a difference in rewards?

Not all purchases are eligible. For example hotels don't count. Full list of eligible types of spending can be found @ https://www.avantcard.ie/documents/111780/1631799/Eligible+Spend+for+Cashback+Reward+by+Type+of+Merchant+V3+20190301.pdf/0caaea24-e5b4-06e2-248e-b8c2c77a482d

This isn't going to make you rich but the way i look at it if you earn €30 in a year off this it covers your stamp duty.

Happy so far, after 4 months I'm averaging about €7 a month. All for doing nothing except making one phone call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 MilaM

I am going to give them a call to sign up, thanks op!

Advertisement