Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TopShop/TopMan closing Irish stores

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'm not surprised. The Times valued Arcadia (ovner of Tops Shop, Evans, Dorothy Perkins, Wallis and others) at zero when they were compiling their rich list. I don't think I even considered buying anything form one of the brands in last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

So Topshop in Stephen's Green is closing but it looks like Topman on Grafton Street is remaining open.

To be honest the only thing I ever bought in there were the "two for €15" t-shirts. They are good quality.

I think they are trying to negotiate cost of rents and bring down the operating cost. I think there is still some value in Topshop/Topman (not others) but with allegations against Philip Green and his shady practices around BHS they won't get out of trouble easily.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Caitlin McBride had a good piece up on the Indo https://www.independent.ie/style/fashion/style-talk/caitlin-mcbride-topshop-has-been-letting-down-its-customers-and-by-default-its-employees-for-years-38139389.html

Good point made that the Stephen's Green store has barely changed since it opened, and retail and the shopping experience has massively changed in those 14 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭starlit

True it hasn't changed much on St Stephen's Green. I used to buy a few bits from Top shop but not as much now, be mainly Jeans to suit. They expensive enough but good quality all the same. They can have good items around from time to time but not venture in it as often as I did when I was younger. It might only close a few here in Ireland as there isn't any specific Top Shop in Limerick. Maybe they be in Shaws/Debenhems. My guess they only keep the ones that are doing well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Twee. wrote: »
    Caitlin McBride had a good piece up on the Indo https://www.independent.ie/style/fashion/style-talk/caitlin-mcbride-topshop-has-been-letting-down-its-customers-and-by-default-its-employees-for-years-38139389.html

Good point made that the Stephen's Green store has barely changed since it opened, and retail and the shopping experience has massively changed in those 14 years.

Good article. And I’ve read a few more on the topic since.

It’s a real shame Topshop didn’t innovate. I’m 35 and as the article says, I have fond feelings for the brand. It was the shit when I was a teenager. The clothes were of excellent quality too. It wasn’t really a fast fashion place because it was a little too expensive to be. I think that’s a good thing and I bought pieces there to last. But sadly, fast fashion has taken over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Yeah its a shame alright, although hard to feel badly for Philip Greene.

I think Topshop has been overpriced in Euro for far too long, thats probably done it major damage in this market.

Only today, I walked through their Jervis St store and picked up a blouse. It was €40/£29.

Based on todays exchange rate, that should be €33.50.

I know there are some cost base differences but it shouldnt be that steep and Topshop have been a consistant offender in my opinion.

Like others, I used to really covet stuff from there maybe 12-15 years ago in my late teens and early 20's but lately not so much. Theres far better competition from the likes of Zara etc these days too.

I always thought quality was pretty poor but because clothes were trendy and interesting I would shop there when younger. I think their customers got older and started shopping in Zara where you can also go for work clothes. Younger crowd is shopping on Asos and on whatever is replacing Asos now. They lost their customer base and never replaced it. They are far from the only ones. Does anyone still shop in Benetton, Sisley or Stefanel and they were everywhere few decades ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

meeeeh wrote: »
    I always thought quality was pretty poor but because clothes were trendy and interesting I would shop there when younger. I think their customers got older and started shopping in Zara where you can also go for work clothes. Younger crowd is shopping on Asos and on whatever is replacing Asos now. They lost their customer base and never replaced it. They are far from the only ones. Does anyone still shop in Benetton, Sisley or Stefanel and they were everywhere few decades ago.

Even as a teen in the late ‘90s and early ‘00s, I wondered who bought those brands. Expensive, kinda boring.

Even as a teen in the late ‘90s and early ‘00s, I wondered who bought those brands. Expensive, kinda boring.

People who don't throw out stuff after wearing it twice. Benetton was not that great, I liked Sisley sometimes but Stefanel was absolutely brilliant. You got couple of solid items that you could wear again and again with cheaper trendier pieces. They became too expensive for what they were offering by early 00's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Benetton recently closed down in Tralee. I rarely shopped in it as it was too expensive for me. The Topshop concession store is still in Debenhams, Tralee. I always liked topshop, but its not really great anymore. Its expensive, and in the last few years the range has got a bit boring. I don't really even like asos anymore either. I have started shopping on zara a lot more. Maybe its an age thing for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Honestly I'd never think of going into TopShop. I'm mid 30's so I'd assume I'm probably not their target market. When I was younger TopShop was very trendy and probably a little too trendy for me, I was more of an A-Wear girl but it was on a par with River Island. I did pick up some nice things, one I wore to death was a grey asymmetrical skirt. I remember them doing collaborations with Kate Moss which was a huge deal back then. I don't hear much about TopShop anymore, I can't recall seeing their clothes on any social media accounts I follow or hear people mentioning it.

Is Benneton still on the go? I remember getting some clothes from there as presents when my son was a baby (15 years ago now). They would do the lovely little corduroy trousers and little warm jumpers.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Honestly I'd never think of going into TopShop. I'm mid 30's so I'd assume I'm probably not their target market. When I was younger TopShop was very trendy and probably a little too trendy for me, I was more of an A-Wear girl but it was on a par with River Island. I did pick up some nice things, one I wore to death was a grey asymmetrical skirt. I remember them doing collaborations with Kate Moss which was a huge deal back then. I don't hear much about TopShop anymore, I can't recall seeing their clothes on any social media accounts I follow or hear people mentioning it.

Is Benneton still on the go? I remember getting some clothes from there as presents when my son was a baby (15 years ago now). They would do the lovely little corduroy trousers and little warm jumpers.

They do do some social media activity actually, but very minimal compared to other stores like River Island who appear to send stuff to a considerable number of influencers.

I recently notices they did a colab with SmythSisters (belfast based mother of 2, I'd say shes about 30) so they must be trying to aim themselves at proper gownups! Although I'd agree, I think their brand has gotten very lost/diluted in the last few years.

I had a few items from that Kate Moss range and they were gold dust back then. Recently sent them off to a consignment store, as they were really well made and still look good. Nice to get a few €€€ back all these years later.

Benetton was probably at the height in early 1990's when Toscani's ads were getting huge attention. For me it is still one of the best advertising campaigns. I don't think clothes ever overly reached the brilliance of their advertising campaigns. That being said I think they are still one of the best brands for kids clothes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vogue.co.uk/gallery/benettons-best-advertising-campaigns%3famp

Brands fall out of fashion. Diesel is another brand people don't overly go for anymore. I think a lot of British brands that were popular in early noughties are losing their appeal, similar to Italian brands of nineties (although Fila and Superga are back).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I forgot all about TopShop. Used to really like their clothes. I bought some really nice going out dresses there that id love if I could still wear as theyre fab but just not suitable for my age at all.
    I havnt heard or seen anything about TopShop in ages, its like they dont even advertise anymore.
    Seems like allot of clothing brands are closing in Ireland, Pull and Bear is gone ive heard rumors about New look and wouldnt be surprised if River Island goes too.
    Wouldnt be surprised if rents have something to do with.
    Old, run down shop outlets in my town are being rented out for 2000 a month, can only imagine what the cost must be to run a shop in Dublin.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I forgot all about TopShop. Used to really like their clothes. I bought some really nice going out dresses there that id love if I could still wear as theyre fab but just not suitable for my age at all.
    I havnt heard or seen anything about TopShop in ages, its like they dont even advertise anymore.
    Seems like allot of clothing brands are closing in Ireland, Pull and Bear is gone ive heard rumors about New look and wouldnt be surprised if River Island goes too.
    Wouldnt be surprised if rents have something to do with.
    Old, run down shop outlets in my town are being rented out for 2000 a month, can only imagine what the cost must be to run a shop in Dublin.

I didn’t realise Pull & Bear are gone! I did hear new look we’re in trouble but I think more in the uk and not as much an issue in Ireland, similar to Debenhams. I don’t know about river island, but I always found them too expensive and of late I didn’t like their stock at all. I’ve rarely bought anything from them. I have bought from new look a bit more in the last couple of years, but find their stores way too overstocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I didn’t realise Pull & Bear are gone! I did hear new look we’re in trouble but I think more in the uk and not as much an issue in Ireland, similar to Debenhams. I don’t know about river island, but I always found them too expensive and of late I didn’t like their stock at all. I’ve rarely bought anything from them. I have bought from new look a bit more in the last couple of years, but find their stores way too overstocked.

I hope its not true, they have closed shops in some towns around the country, similar to what Pull and Bear did who I think still have one or two small stores in Dublin but they were in real trouble a few years ago.
    I was in New Look recently and didnt see anything decent, used to love shopping there but everything was black, grey and beige, frumpy or very skimpy.
    River Island is so expensive and not great options in stock, I go in occasionally for a look around but always leave with nothing.
    Clothes shopping options arent great.

Sick of Asos and all of those sites, can never find anything with their literally thousands of options, most of which just look silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭foodie86

Mid 30s here and most of my work clothes are Topshop. Jeans/blazers/dressy tops/skirts it’s my go to place. Also interesting that someone else said they don’t see a lot of their social media following promoting Topshop, when majority of who I follow do. Just depends on your style I guess.

I find the quality very good and have Topshop items from the last 8-10 years that I still pull out each season. I do steer clear of their shoes though as I their not always comfortable.

Zara I find is fine for a seasonal hit but the quality just isn’t long lasting for me and there’s also the fact everyone else will have the same outfit/tops/shoes, which I detest. Topshop for me is much easier to mix in with my older stuff to give pieces a new lease of life.

Just my take on it!

I hope its not true, they have closed shops in some towns around the country, similar to what Pull and Bear did who I think still have one or two small stores in Dublin but they were in real trouble a few years ago.
    I was in New Look recently and didnt see anything decent, used to love shopping there but everything was black, grey and beige, frumpy or very skimpy.
    River Island is so expensive and not great options in stock, I go in occasionally for a look around but always leave with nothing.
    Clothes shopping options arent great.

Sick of Asos and all of those sites, can never find anything with their literally thousands of options, most of which just look silly.

I'm totally sick of asos too, I find it too expensive and stuff has got very trashy. I have been ordering off zara more often these days. The New look nearest to me is in Killarney and its far too overstocked. I get the odd thing from it, but mainly in sales. Same with topshop in Tralee (Debenhams). I only seem to buy something there in a sale, but in the last year I have found their stock has got very boring and I never see anything nice. I used to often get a few bits in their sale, but not in ages.
    Even the Penney's store in Tralee isn't as good as it was. They did a revamp of the shop recently and it still doesn't have the nice stock that they are advertising on social media and that are in other city stores. I saw a jacket in their Galway store in March and said I'd wait for another day to buy it as surely it would be in my local Tralee store, but it never came in. So disappointed!

I actually ordered a coat from topshop via Asos last night so fingers crossed it’s nice!

Someone must be trying to change the direction at Topshop because they never used to be available on reseller sites like asos or littlewoods, so that’s new.

I don’t shop at new look at all anymore. The quality just isn’t there in my eyes. I feel the same about river island, the only thing I’ve bought there in the last few years was a pair of molly jeans. I find it over priced and some of their items are cheap looking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement