Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Do you support the protest?
Yes! 287 30.05%
No! 668 69.95%
Voters: 955. You may not vote on this poll

19-04-2019, 18:02   #46
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannasidhe View Post
A good place to start would be if Coillte stopped planted sitka spruce and began planting native trees.
Sitka is an absolute environmental disaster. Bog land was ploughed to plant them which released carbon, the trees themselves leave the soil useless for growing anything else afterwards, the clear felling (using heavy machinery) causes acidic sediment to drain into lakes and rivers.
Bio-diversity is out the window.

Then there is Coillte's overuse of pesticides - if the bees continue to die at current rates we are all extinct.

It's short sighted thinking with making a fast profit the only concern and damn the consequences to the environment.
What was the rationale behind planting them? I used to wonder why bogland has so many.
Advertisement
19-04-2019, 18:31   #47
Mr. teddywinkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper100 View Post
Won't work. A farm support a family, and families support rural communities.

Planting trees on farms mean the land is planted by outside contractors and ignored for 20 years, bar the odd pruning by outside contractors. Farming families are on the land every day spending money locally and supporting the community.

How about they level all the housing estates and plant trees there instead?

Eventually the sun will burn out and the human race will be extinct. Human induced global warming merely shortens the road to extinction. May as well enjoy it while we can.
Ok Mr farmer
19-04-2019, 18:56   #48
Del2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancapailldorcha View Post
What was the rationale behind planting them? I used to wonder why bogland has so many.
The land wasn't suitable for growing anything else, the trees grow fast so are a fast harvest.
(2) thanks from:
19-04-2019, 19:04   #49
Hedgelayer

As a nation we don't appreciate parklands, gardens and tastefully planned out green area's.

Its all about the money which can be made and brown envelopes, red tape and who gets the biggest pat on the back.

Its not hard to create a parkland and maintain it.

I admire how over in the Uk they really appreciate nature their parks and arboretums.

There was a time when Ireland had vast amounts of old estate's with sprawling woodlands and meadows without the imposing walls and ditches you'll see today
(4) thanks from:
19-04-2019, 19:13   #50
Archeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Face View Post
Look it, if protesting didn't work for the dinosaurs, it's not going to work for us.
It failed because the T-rexs couldn't hold the placards high enough
Advertisement
19-04-2019, 19:18   #51
kowloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irexit View Post
Even Prof Ray Bates from Met Eireann said there is no proof that man made climate change is real.

This is a total non issue to be protesting about.
Username checks out.
Thanks from:
19-04-2019, 20:59   #52
RHJ

Fair play to everyone that turned up today from the pictures I have seen on Facebook it looks like a decent turnout hopefully the protests will continue until the government implements some decent changes to protect the environment.
(2) thanks from:
19-04-2019, 23:57   #53
tatranska

Global warming is pure nonsense.

As I said earlier. There are active volcanoes under the glaciers.
How can we stop them melting the ice?
Thanks from:
20-04-2019, 00:05   #54
RHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatranska View Post
Global warming is pure nonsense.

As I said earlier. There are active volcanoes under the glaciers.
How can we stop them melting the ice?
What active volcanos? Because it is the first time I have heard of them i’m calling bull**** on your claim unless you can provide a reputable source.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-04-2019, 00:08   #55
tatranska

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHJ View Post
What active volcanos? Because it is the first time I have heard of them i’m calling bull**** on your claim unless you can provide a reputable source.
You never heard it therefore it must be untrue!!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...nos-antarctica

https://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...-a8423131.html

https://earthsky.org/earth/volcano-u...astest-melting
(3) thanks from:
20-04-2019, 00:20   #56
SeanW

I was there today at O'Connell Street/Bridge (most assuredly NOT as a protester, rather an observer).

So committed were they to supporting a low-carbon lifestyle that they blocked the Luas. Plonkers.
20-04-2019, 00:23   #57
Dravokivich

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper100 View Post
It took over 200,000 years of human history for the world's population to reach 1 billion;[2] and only 200 years more to reach 7 billion

Says it all really. We are great for culling seals, deer, foxes, rats badgers etc. etc., but the dirtiest shower of rodents of all are humans and we are completely out of control destroying everything in our path and there is no stopping us.
Ehm... are you in favour of wars, undeveloped medical practises, improper sanitation and poorly kept food?
Thanks from:
20-04-2019, 00:26   #58
Dravokivich

Quote:
Fair play to everyone that turned up today from the pictures I have seen on Facebook it looks like a decent turnout hopefully the protests will continue until the government implements some decent changes to protect the environment.
Damn near everything we consume is imported. So the government will have little effect on that. And most of the crap labelled recyclable, cant be recycled here.
20-04-2019, 00:33   #59
RHJ

You clearly didn’t read to the end of the article in the Independent did you?

To save you time here or two quotes from the article.

“I don’t think people should look at volcanoes underneath west Antarctica as a serious concern for causing instability,” he said.”

“If you have got thinning ice cover over a volcanic region there is every reason to suggest it will increase the volcanism,” he said.

As the pressure exerted on the mantle by the glacier decreases and allows more heat to escape, this could cause a feedback loop in which the melt rate continues to increase.”
20-04-2019, 00:38   #60
gozunda

Quote:
Waffle. Nothing like a bunch of placard wavers virtue signaling about someone else 'protecting the environment' ...

Quote:
Climate strikers of the world, I am therefore sorry to say so, but you have little to expect from your governments. You can keep on striking and marching in the streets for as long as you want, that won’t bring you what you hope for.

This does not mean, however, that you cannot influence the course of history in a way that may, if not avert or reverse but at least contain the climate chaos you’re going to have to face. You can. And you probably should.

Here is how: in addition to your “climate strike”, or as a substitute to it if or when you get frustrated of being denied the kind of change you want, embark with all the strength and enthusiasm of your youth on an “energy diet”. A big, fat, relentless and endless energy diet. Not only on Fridays, but every single day of the week, 365 days per year, for the rest of your life.
https://paularbair.wordpress.com/201...mate-strikers/

Last edited by gozunda; 20-04-2019 at 00:50.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion