Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
03-04-2019, 14:00   #46
MrStuffins
Registered User
 
MrStuffins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nal View Post
Do you know any Muslims? Thats very offensive to most of them yeah.

I think all religions are silly but acceptance and all that.
And it should be accepted that religious ideas, alongside any ideas, should be open to criticism.

Would you have been saying the same when Rubberbandits went on the Late Late Show and called communion "Haunted Bread"? Of course not. And what's the difference here?
MrStuffins is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-04-2019, 14:00   #47
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 5,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1982 View Post
I dont buy into this oh he had ring rust, he was out too long before the khabib fight. If you agree sign contract walk to octagon...youre ready
Well that’s just not true.

Signing a contract doesn’t equate to any way of been sharp and ready for a fight physically.

Nonsense.

Yes I agree well he shouldn’t have signed it if he wasn’t ready and that’s his fault but doesn’t mean he wasn’t rusty.
Wheeliebin30 is offline  
03-04-2019, 14:07   #48
dave1982
Registered User
 
dave1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliebin30 View Post
Well that’s just not true.

Signing a contract doesn’t equate to any way of been sharp and ready for a fight physically.

Nonsense.

Yes I agree well he shouldn’t have signed it if he wasn’t ready and that’s his fault but doesn’t mean he wasn’t rusty.
Point is dont make excuses for a loss like rusty. He knows his body how he feels. He should know and if he dont its his fault
dave1982 is offline  
03-04-2019, 14:16   #49
Boom_Bap
Landfill
 
Boom_Bap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 21,847
I think that he was too distracted by the nonsense leading up to the fight and being too cocky in the ring. The retraction from being cocky to going on the defense in the Octogon probably looked like ring rust.
Boom_Bap is offline  
03-04-2019, 14:16   #50
Tazzimus
Registered User
 
Tazzimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1982 View Post
Point is dont make excuses for a loss like rusty. He knows his body how he feels. He should know and if he dont its his fault
Has he said himself that he was rusty?
I thought that was more an observation from everyone who watched it.

Absolutely didn't give full respect to Khabibs skills and paid for it, I'd hope he'd have a bit more sense for the rematch, if there is one.
Tazzimus is offline  
Advertisement
03-04-2019, 14:26   #51
Spleerbun
Registered User
 
Spleerbun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 215
Have to laugh at the people claiming racism and islamaphobia. No doubt the same people who think offering a drink to someone who doesn't drink is racist as well.

Must be nice for the likes of khabib to know they can use any insult they like but should someone dare respond he'll have the protection of the professionally outraged. Talk about privilege eh

Last edited by Spleerbun; 04-04-2019 at 00:52.
Spleerbun is offline  
(3) thanks from:
03-04-2019, 14:38   #52
D.Q
Registered User
 
D.Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStuffins View Post
And it should be accepted that religious ideas, alongside any ideas, should be open to criticism.

Would you have been saying the same when Rubberbandits went on the Late Late Show and called communion "Haunted Bread"? Of course not. And what's the difference here?

Exactly.

Both pretty mundane items given some sort of importance by their respective religions.

Both are equally open to ridicule by people that don't subscribe to the religions.

Or even those that do.

Just because one of these religions happens to be more 'sensitive' than the other shouldn't change anything.

It does look like a towel. Why shouldn't people be able to point that out.

**edit just to say I'm talking about this towel comment, and this alone. All the "mad backwards c**t" stuff pre fight was definitely islamophobic and not in any way funny.**

Last edited by D.Q; 03-04-2019 at 14:46. Reason: above
D.Q is offline  
Thanks from:
03-04-2019, 14:43   #53
VW 1
Registered User
 
VW 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,670
If Khabib starts going on about Islamaphobia or any of the rest of it, Conor should direct him to his mysogynstic comments on how women belong in the home.


Stones and glass houses etc.


Conor wasn't right to say it, but it is merely mocking and certainly doesn't fit the definitions of racist.
VW 1 is offline  
03-04-2019, 15:13   #54
MrStuffins
Registered User
 
MrStuffins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW 1 View Post
If Khabib starts going on about Islamaphobia or any of the rest of it, Conor should direct him to his mysogynstic comments on how women belong in the home.


Stones and glass houses etc.


Conor wasn't right to say it, but it is merely mocking and certainly doesn't fit the definitions of racist.
And here lies the issue. If you, I, or Conor McGregor decide to call out the fact that this is wrong, is that Islamophobic? By the standards set out earlier in the thread, some would be calling it racist!

I'm all for respecting religious beliefs, or any beliefs. but it should also be respected that others will not hold those same beliefs and if they think that people eating "Haunted Bread" on a Sunday is silly, they should be allowed say so.
MrStuffins is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
03-04-2019, 15:17   #55
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTLEFTHAND View Post
She does look like a towel though.

It's a pretty sad picture in fairness.
Is a ceremonial dress. Is the custom in that particular area. She isn't gonna be walking around liked that all of the time
zapitastas is offline  
03-04-2019, 15:18   #56
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 5,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapitastas View Post
Is a ceremonial dress. Is the custom in that particular area. She isn't gonna be walking around liked that all of the time
So he didn’t offend his wife as she doesn’t actually look like a towel?

No big deal.
Wheeliebin30 is offline  
03-04-2019, 15:42   #57
dave1982
Registered User
 
dave1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzimus View Post
Has he said himself that he was rusty?
I thought that was more an observation from everyone who watched it.

Absolutely didn't give full respect to Khabibs skills and paid for it, I'd hope he'd have a bit more sense for the rematch, if there is one.
Sorry thats what i meant. People here saying it. Conor felt he was ready so no one should make excuses for him is what i meant
dave1982 is offline  
Thanks from:
03-04-2019, 18:01   #58
Richard tea
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtal191 View Post
Wish they'd release the video of that sparring



I thought Netflix was going to release a documentary about the sparing secession's. Hopefully its out soon
Richard tea is offline  
03-04-2019, 18:05   #59
Effects
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard tea View Post
I thought Netflix was going to release a documentary about the sparing secession's. Hopefully its out soon
A documentary about sparring sessions, sounds riveting.
Effects is offline  
03-04-2019, 18:24   #60
ASOT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,960
Ali going in on McGregor from Khabibs account

Check out @TeamKhabib’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/TeamKhabib/statu...037593088?s=09
ASOT is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet