Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-02-2019, 14:10   #106
end of the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
We'll never know, will we. The whole thing was ticking along, albeit very slowly, until the media turned it into a complete toxic **** show.

And now the town of Ramsgate is even less likely to have a ferry service than it was before.
in what way was the whole thing ticking along?
as i understand, the company had no ships, either owned or leased, and as i understand ramsgate port is only able to take a certain specification of ship so that limits the supply of potential ships to lease or buy. also the port i believe required a lot of other things to be sorted out before it could be suitible for a ferry service.
the service was to be up and running when, in march wasn't it? if the whole process was ticking along then surely there would have been something to show for it? so what was there to show for it? a ship? negotiations to lease or buy a ship from another operator who may be selling one that might be suitible to operate out of ramsgate? advertisements for staff? or maybe even staff already hired? some movement to get the port ready? anything? surely there must have been 1 thing at least, big or small?
Advertisement
13-02-2019, 14:51   #107
Aegir

Quote:
Originally Posted by end of the road View Post
in what way was the whole thing ticking along?
as i understand, the company had no ships, either owned or leased, and as i understand ramsgate port is only able to take a certain specification of ship so that limits the supply of potential ships to lease or buy. also the port i believe required a lot of other things to be sorted out before it could be suitible for a ferry service.
the service was to be up and running when, in march wasn't it? if the whole process was ticking along then surely there would have been something to show for it? so what was there to show for it? a ship? negotiations to lease or buy a ship from another operator who may be selling one that might be suitible to operate out of ramsgate? advertisements for staff? or maybe even staff already hired? some movement to get the port ready? anything? surely there must have been 1 thing at least, big or small?
you obviously didn't read the article I linked to.
13-02-2019, 14:52   #108
branie2

A ferry company with no ships? Daft, if you ask me
Thanks from:
13-02-2019, 15:12   #109
end of the road

Quote:
you obviously didn't read the article I linked to.
i did but it only tells me that there are lots of different potential plans by the council, + they have been in negotiationss to put on a ferry service from the port with no success, since the previous operator seased operation. i'm unsure what point you were using the article to try and prove?
13-02-2019, 16:57   #110
ohnonotgmail

Quote:
Seaborne were in discussions with the Harbour company about setting up a ferry service long before they were in discussions with the British government.

The $13m the Government offered was only if they got up and running and was designed to basically help a start up company get off the ground and get funding. Until the media got hold of it and turned it in to a Brexit/political hot potato.

it's a shame no one is doing anything similar in Dun Laoghaire.

have a read https://theisleofthanetnews.com/2018...r-eight-years/

So basically Seaborne are the latest in a long line of failed attempts to re-establish a ferry service from ramsgate. Ticking along indeed.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-02-2019, 17:19   #111
Aegir

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnonotgmail View Post
So basically Seaborne are the latest in a long line of failed attempts to re-establish a ferry service from ramsgate. Ticking along indeed.
hence the government trying to support them with the offer of a £13m contract if they managed to get services up and running.
13-02-2019, 17:23   #112
ohnonotgmail

Quote:
hence the government trying to support them with the offer of a £13m contract if they managed to get services up and running.

Did they actually finish the dredging that was required?
Thanks from:
13-02-2019, 17:33   #113
Aegir

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnonotgmail View Post
Did they actually finish the dredging that was required?
I can't see it from my office, but a ten second look at google tells me it has started

https://theisleofthanetnews.com/2019...ferry-service/
13-02-2019, 19:31   #114
Seth Brundle
Error: 404 Personality Not Found

Quote:
I can't see it from my office, but a ten second look at google tells me it has started

I kind if half expected a report about a dredging shelf company
Advertisement
13-02-2019, 19:47   #115
ohnonotgmail

Quote:

i know it started. no mention anywhere that it has finished. Which is odd because it as due to finish at the end of january.
Thanks from:
01-03-2019, 17:05   #116
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

It's all sorted now.

The UK Government will be handing over £33m to a company that isn't allowed to operate ferries.
Thanks from:
26-04-2019, 19:18   #117
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

The latest in this saga is that finally a company with actual Ferries has entered the game.

P&O are now suing HMG over the handing over £33m to Eurotunnel.
Quote:
If unlawful state aid is found, the government would have to recover the aid in full, with interest, and damages may be payable to P&O.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion