Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
13-02-2019, 14:10   #106
end of the road
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 23,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
We'll never know, will we. The whole thing was ticking along, albeit very slowly, until the media turned it into a complete toxic **** show.

And now the town of Ramsgate is even less likely to have a ferry service than it was before.
in what way was the whole thing ticking along?
as i understand, the company had no ships, either owned or leased, and as i understand ramsgate port is only able to take a certain specification of ship so that limits the supply of potential ships to lease or buy. also the port i believe required a lot of other things to be sorted out before it could be suitible for a ferry service.
the service was to be up and running when, in march wasn't it? if the whole process was ticking along then surely there would have been something to show for it? so what was there to show for it? a ship? negotiations to lease or buy a ship from another operator who may be selling one that might be suitible to operate out of ramsgate? advertisements for staff? or maybe even staff already hired? some movement to get the port ready? anything? surely there must have been 1 thing at least, big or small?
end of the road is offline  
Advertisement
13-02-2019, 14:51   #107
Aegir
Registered User
 
Aegir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by end of the road View Post
in what way was the whole thing ticking along?
as i understand, the company had no ships, either owned or leased, and as i understand ramsgate port is only able to take a certain specification of ship so that limits the supply of potential ships to lease or buy. also the port i believe required a lot of other things to be sorted out before it could be suitible for a ferry service.
the service was to be up and running when, in march wasn't it? if the whole process was ticking along then surely there would have been something to show for it? so what was there to show for it? a ship? negotiations to lease or buy a ship from another operator who may be selling one that might be suitible to operate out of ramsgate? advertisements for staff? or maybe even staff already hired? some movement to get the port ready? anything? surely there must have been 1 thing at least, big or small?
you obviously didn't read the article I linked to.
Aegir is offline  
13-02-2019, 14:52   #108
branie2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 7,825
A ferry company with no ships? Daft, if you ask me
branie2 is offline  
Thanks from:
13-02-2019, 15:12   #109
end of the road
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 23,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
you obviously didn't read the article I linked to.
i did but it only tells me that there are lots of different potential plans by the council, + they have been in negotiationss to put on a ferry service from the port with no success, since the previous operator seased operation. i'm unsure what point you were using the article to try and prove?
end of the road is offline  
13-02-2019, 16:57   #110
ohnonotgmail
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 19,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
Seaborne were in discussions with the Harbour company about setting up a ferry service long before they were in discussions with the British government.

The $13m the Government offered was only if they got up and running and was designed to basically help a start up company get off the ground and get funding. Until the media got hold of it and turned it in to a Brexit/political hot potato.

it's a shame no one is doing anything similar in Dun Laoghaire.

have a read https://theisleofthanetnews.com/2018...r-eight-years/

So basically Seaborne are the latest in a long line of failed attempts to re-establish a ferry service from ramsgate. Ticking along indeed.
ohnonotgmail is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-02-2019, 17:19   #111
Aegir
Registered User
 
Aegir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnonotgmail View Post
So basically Seaborne are the latest in a long line of failed attempts to re-establish a ferry service from ramsgate. Ticking along indeed.
hence the government trying to support them with the offer of a £13m contract if they managed to get services up and running.
Aegir is offline  
13-02-2019, 17:23   #112
ohnonotgmail
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 19,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
hence the government trying to support them with the offer of a £13m contract if they managed to get services up and running.

Did they actually finish the dredging that was required?
ohnonotgmail is offline  
Thanks from:
13-02-2019, 17:33   #113
Aegir
Registered User
 
Aegir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnonotgmail View Post
Did they actually finish the dredging that was required?
I can't see it from my office, but a ten second look at google tells me it has started

https://theisleofthanetnews.com/2019...ferry-service/
Aegir is offline  
13-02-2019, 19:31   #114
Seth Brundle
Error: 404 Personality Not Found
 
Seth Brundle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 24,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
I can't see it from my office, but a ten second look at google tells me it has started

https://theisleofthanetnews.com/2019...ferry-service/
I kind if half expected a report about a dredging shelf company
Seth Brundle is offline  
Advertisement
13-02-2019, 19:47   #115
ohnonotgmail
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 19,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
I can't see it from my office, but a ten second look at google tells me it has started

https://theisleofthanetnews.com/2019...ferry-service/
i know it started. no mention anywhere that it has finished. Which is odd because it as due to finish at the end of january.
ohnonotgmail is offline  
Thanks from:
01-03-2019, 17:05   #116
Capt'n Midnight
00:00
 
Capt'n Midnight's Avatar
It's all sorted now.


The UK Government will be handing over £33m to a company that isn't allowed to operate ferries.
Capt'n Midnight is offline  
Thanks from:
26-04-2019, 19:18   #117
Capt'n Midnight
00:00
 
Capt'n Midnight's Avatar
The latest in this saga is that finally a company with actual Ferries has entered the game.


P&O are now suing HMG over the handing over £33m to Eurotunnel.
Quote:
If unlawful state aid is found, the government would have to recover the aid in full, with interest, and damages may be payable to P&O.
Capt'n Midnight is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet