Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boston marathon 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭purelike

Hey, I might take you up on your offer if you don't mind! :)

I've signed up for next year, can't wait. I'm curious about race day logistics... From brief googling I can see waves could have one starting any time up to almost noon (I'm in the 35-39 bracket with a BQ time of 2:58). I'm curious, once you cross the finish line, is it quick enough to make your way through to grabbing your medal and all the way to collecting your dropped bag and away? Or is that all a bit of an ordeal with crowds and security? I'm all for soaking in the atmosphere and enjoying the occasion and the experience, but at the same time, I booked myself on the Aer Lingus flight back on the Monday night at 21:30 for a reason that seemed logical at the time, but I'm now starting to wonder if I've made a giant mistake! Any thoughts? I'm sure it's going to be doable, but just wondering if there's anything particularly nutty about the post-race experience that I should be aware of?

If you have a BQ of 2:58 you will be in either corral 3 or 4 of the first wave. Up he very front basically. Congratulations.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bzUY6jAoCkk/WIgX3iydhhI/AAAAAAAAMIU/Q28d-mycqgEBx8sUQoIkSfhIFBBPXAM2ACLcB/w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu/Boston%2BMarathon%2B-%2B2016%2BCorrals.jpg

Collecting your bag, medel, goodie bag, etc is extremely simple. You continue on down Boylston after the finish, collecting your stuff. The baggage drop is at the end near Boston Common, where you started in the morning.

The security is the same as for the DCM, and way less onerous than Berlin which is my only other point of reference.

I wouldn’t like to go back on the Monday night as you will miss out on the postrace buzz, events and free visit to Fenway Park, etc. You’ll see all the details of these events in your start card once it arrives next year. The Tuesday evening flight would be my preferred option. On Tuesday morning there is a great buzz of people walking around in their jackets and medels in the city centre – yes, they actually do this in a non-ironic way. You can also get your time sewn onto your jacket (jacket costs about e85) or engraved onto your medel for free in I think the Addidas shop by the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Thanks for the info! I was confused with the difference between waves and corrals and assumed I'd be in one of the last waves. Thanks for clearing that up.

I've run Berlin and London too, so I'm familiar with how long it can take to get your bits and get through. Just wasn't sure if Boston would be crazy with security and the rest.

Totally get the post-race buzz but I need to be back to Dublin ASAP so just trying to work out if it's feasible and possible to get the flight the same night. I've been to Boston tons of times and have done all the touristy stuff so I'm not too bothered about that. It's more the post-race buzz I'd be bothered about missing, but it'll just have to be unfortunately.

Might get extra kudos for wearing the jacket through Logan that night on the way for a long haul flight :) . That said, I flew 11 hours to San Fran last Oct the morning after DCM and no one cared a damn!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

The Norwegian return flight from providance was 80 euro for the Tuesday late return. I booked that with bag, extra leg room and meal for €150. Will prob fly into logan on the Friday for the outward journey.

I will defo get the Jacket too.

All we need is the weather, regardless of how bad it is (or not) we worked hard to qualify so I will savour it even if it snows!!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Debating myself whether to head home the night of the race or hang around. Will probably hang around. There is a great buzz around the city even the day after with loads of random congrats.

By the way my time is 2:59 so likely to be in the same corral as you WCP depending on how wave 1 is carved up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Debating myself whether to head home the night of the race or hang around. Will probably hang around. There is a great buzz around the city even the day after with loads of random congrats.

By the way my time is 2:59 so likely to be in the same corral as you WCP depending on how wave 1 is carved up.

Are you getting the jacket :) I've never regretted not getting it despite what people kept telling me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Where do you get the jacket? Can you buy one at the expo?

Where do you get the jacket? Can you buy one at the expo?

It’s hard to get out of the expo without buying one!

opus wrote: »
    Are you getting the jacket :) I've never regretted not getting it despite what people kept telling me!

Well I have 4 already - one more and I’ll have a different one for each working day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

• Registered Users Posts: 13,849 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

bonaparte2 wrote: »

Wonderful news 4 weeks before Dublin. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭purelike

4:52, wow, I thought it would be lower because of the bad weather. Did ye see that they are taking 5 minutes off all the qualifying times for 2020?

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a23481338/boston-marathon-qualifying-times/

• Registered Users Posts: 27 tommykb

opus wrote: »

Well I have 4 already - one more and I’ll have a different one for each working day :)
    1st Boston, damn sure I'll be getting the jacket :D Better be a nice one (no pinks please)

I like the traditional Boston yellow and blue. Hopefully that's the jacket colour!!

Taking 5 mins off next year will match London. Basically sub 3. So in theory you need run sub 2:40 to get in on the first window!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

tommykb wrote: »
    1st Boston, damn sure I'll be getting the jacket :D Better be a nice one (no pinks please)

I gave it a miss cause I didn't like the colour that year which led to endless talk of how much I'd regret it from my fellow boardies back in 2015, have plenty regrets but that isn't one of them :)

Paulie what's the difference in start times for the waves. Let's say wave 1 elites and speedys, how long after is segment 2 of wave 1 waiting to cross the start line?

Yeah, I'd love to know more about the waves and corrals. This sentence confuses the hell out of me!
    The break between Wave 1 (10:00 a.m. start time) and Wave 2 (10:25 a.m. start time) is 3:09:36. The break between Wave 2 and Wave 3 (10:50 a.m. start time) is 3:28:48. The break between Wave 3 and Wave 4 (11:15 a.m. start time) is 3:57:39.

That was for 2018. Are the breaks they're referring to qualifying times or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

So 2020 qualifying times will be reduced by 5 mins... I must try harder as they are taking away my auld age advantage ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Yeah, I'd love to know more about the waves and corrals. This sentence confuses the hell out of me!

That was for 2018. Are the breaks they're referring to qualifying times or what?

Yes, the waves are determine by qualifying time. So if you are in a time below 3.09.36 you will be in wave 1 starting at 10am, if you are above 3.09 but below 3.28.48 you will be in wave 2 starting at 10.20am … etc, etc. It's why you see people do a second marathon to try to improve their time and move up a wave.

On another note: I'm only in because I happen to have a February birthday. -4.52 is going to mean a lot of very very unhappy people at my next club run. They really should have moved the targets in by 5 mins last year.

Limpy wrote: »
    Paulie what's the difference in start times for the waves. Let's say wave 1 elites and speedys, how long after is segment 2 of wave 1 waiting to cross the start line?

Elite Women c. 9:30
    Elite Men and Wave 1 10:00
    Wave 2 10:25
    Wave 3 10:50
    Wave 4 11:15

I was in Wave 1 Corral 5 (maybe 6) last time and it took 3 minutes to cross the start line. I was allocated this slot for a 2:59 qualifying time.

The Waves and Corrals within the Waves are evenly distributed based on qualifying times (or any improvements submitted) with the fastest to the front.

Although its busy as any big marathon start is it moves very well from the start as its well policed and you are running in the middle of people with similar qualifying times so the people around you generally shift at a similar pace.

Elite Women c. 9:30
    Elite Men and Wave 1 10:00
    Wave 2 10:25
    Wave 3 10:50
    Wave 4 11:15

I was in Wave 1 Corral 5 (maybe 6) last time and it took 3 minutes to cross the start line. I was allocated this slot for a 2:59 qualifying time.

The Waves and Corrals within the Waves are evenly distributed based on qualifying times (or any improvements submitted) with the fastest to the front.

Although its busy as any big marathon start is it moves very well from the start as its well policed and you are running in the middle of people with similar qualifying times so the people around you generally shift at a similar pace.

Did you travel with thtr misses, how did they find getting a spectator spot and moving around on the day.

Did you get the early bus?

• Advertisement

Did you travel with thtr misses, how did they find getting a spectator spot and moving around on the day.

I haven’t brought the missus and family over so don’t know what the logistics for spectators are like.

I’ve generally taken one of the early buses out but for 2018 given the horrendous weather I left it a bit later. Because of the jet lag you’re likely to be awake early enough anyway.

The athletes village is comfortable enough to hang out in early on as long as the weather is fine. The time passes quick enough there and you can soak up the buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Forget about family moving around on race day!

Even with the T it's almost impossible because it's so jam packed you will have to wait for ages until you find one with some space in it.

A friend of mine saw me at mile 21 and I had to wait for almost an hour after finishing to meet up again because he couldn't get on a train.

If you have family there they should just pick one single spot where they can see you on the course and then you agree to meet afterwards somewhere in Boston Commons (or wherever is handy)

Thanks!! When do you find out your race number and associated wave /corral.

Thanks!! When do you find out your race number and associated wave /corral.

Sometime in Feb/Mar after the deadline for submitting a faster time has been passed.

The newton hills. Did any of you run them before your first Boston marathon?
    Id like to finish my long runs on a similar profile when I start training ect.

If time permits I'd like to get a few Miles on them before the race maybe on the Saturday. Thoughs?

So far I have the Raheny 5 mile beginning of Feb and the Dungarvan 10 mile the week after.

I'm looking at options for a half on the run up to Boston if anyone has any suggestions? I'm Dublin based. I've seen

- The Mullingar Half, would be my preference but it's Paddy's Day so might not work. Kids / parade / etc.
    - A Wicklow Half on Sunday the 24th March, but I'm not sure I like the look of it
    - A Half in Galway on Saturday the 2nd, but it's a bit of a trek from Dublin

Could always just do the Mallow 10 mile in Cork on Sunday the 24th March instead

Anyone have any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

So far I have the Raheny 5 mile beginning of Feb and the Dungarvan 10 mile the week after.

I'm looking at options for a half on the run up to Boston if anyone has any suggestions? I'm Dublin based. I've seen

- The Mullingar Half, would be my preference but it's Paddy's Day so might not work. Kids / parade / etc.
    - A Wicklow Half on Sunday the 24th March, but I'm not sure I like the look of it
    - A Half in Galway on Saturday the 2nd, but it's a bit of a trek from Dublin

Could always just do the Mallow 10 mile in Cork on Sunday the 24th March instead

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Bohermeen half , March 10th .. fairly flat and good standard of race

quick feet wrote: »
    Bohermeen half , March 10th .. fairly flat and good standard of race

I literally only spotted it myself. I think I've found my half, sound!

Norwegian Air have a sale you can get return flights for 200 euro to providance!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Sometime in Feb/Mar after the deadline for submitting a faster time has been passed.

Found this today. Spreadsheet showing the cut off times for the various waves/corrals for the last 12 Boston marathons.

Advertisement