Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-05-2018, 10:29   #46
greenspurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector Bellend View Post
They're just being culchies.

Thats what culchies do.
And you just did what Bellends do ...
Advertisement
23-05-2018, 10:32   #47
Eggs For Dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_abided View Post
I thought they actually did quite well by their constituency from the sounds of it (building Kilgarvan road, providing for area etc). Irrespective of if you like them or not, surely that's showing democracy working?
That's only showing how stupid an administration we have, where members of our National Parliament are deemed to be a success for getting a road built from one Godforsaken place to another, while at the same time hundreds of elderly patients are on trollies in A&E
(3) thanks from:
23-05-2018, 10:38   #48
sbsquarepants

Quote:
Originally Posted by riemann View Post
Surely a walking argument against democracy?

I don't think I've ever heard any of them say anything that displayed any kind of education or knowledge on a subject.

The amount of air time they get is scandalous.
It's a ratings game and they play it perfectly, the same auld look at those gombeens, shower of imbeciles, nonsense you hear over and over. It makes no sense - how could they be so thick and yet so successful in the cut throat business of politics?

These shower play that constituency like virtuosos on a Stradivarious. No education, lack of knowledge and vast personal wealth are extremely rare bedfellows. Whatever they are - stupid they clearly aren't.
23-05-2018, 10:39   #49
Ol' Donie

Quote:
Originally Posted by One eyed Jack View Post
They're politicians, not intellectuals
You got that right.
(4) thanks from:
23-05-2018, 10:39   #50
Dakota Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob Scratcher View Post
Gobsheens of the highest order
Bertie was so much better.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-05-2018, 10:41   #51
Gravelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector Bellend View Post
They're just being culchies.

Thats what culchies do.
It wasn't culchies that elected Bertie, Charlie, Liam Lawlor, etc. not to mention head-the-balls like Patricia McKenna, Joe Costello, Richard Boyd-Barrett, Katherine Zappone, etc.
23-05-2018, 10:42   #52
Rechuchote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Dags View Post
Dose of scour when they start raving on about post offices closing considering they have regional sorting office, parish post office, one daughter a post mistress and another daughter post delivery.
Dose of scour! lolololol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hassenforder View Post
Ive a begrudging respect for them and their ability to play the system. In fairness to them, they work very hard and you wont hear a bad word said about them in Kerry.

That said, that they get elected to a national parliament and spend their days sorting medical cards and drainage is ridiculous. The deliver for their constituents, but it should be done at as local level
You've got a point - really, we should have strong, active, powerful county councils and city councils with proper funding, who deal with Fixing The Road type problems, and then send people forward to the Dail for national legislation that's for everyone. Separate out constituency interests from national interests, while giving good local service to the constituencies.
Thanks from:
23-05-2018, 10:48   #53
griffin100

Most TDs are little more than glorified county councelllors with little or no power to make any changes, these guys just play the system to a tee and are just better then most of the others at doing so. I have no time for their sh1te and never heard either of them make a sensible contribution to anything until this morning.......

On Pat Kennys radio show Michael was talking about the scheme whereby you can get your medical treatment in the EU for free if you can't get it in Ireland. He spoke about setting up a relationship with a hospital in the north and helping constituents avail of the scheme. He has helped people get surgery in a few weeks who otherwise would be waiting years for the HSE to do anything. Whatever you think of him he has made a real diffferene to these people's lives.

He also have a very sensible overview of why the need for him to do this is ridiculous and why we should be doing these treatment at home. I was surprised and shocked at how good he was. That's not something id ever thought I'd write about a Healy Rae.
23-05-2018, 10:50   #54

Politicians are there to be leveraged against state systems and their employees.

The systems are broken, which is why we have the politicians we have.

Will I vote for someone who'll do me a turn? Absofkinlutely.

Would I vote the same way in a perfect world? Doubt it.

Politicians are there to be used, not followed.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-05-2018, 11:05   #55
Rechuchote

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtoro View Post
Politicians are there to be leveraged against state systems and their employees.

The systems are broken, which is why we have the politicians we have.

Will I vote for someone who'll do me a turn? Absofkinlutely.

Would I vote the same way in a perfect world? Doubt it.

Politicians are there to be used, not followed.
So true. Not that the system is broken, but the civil service is, or at least cracked in the rim, at the moment. Tragic when you think of the really wonderful civil servants working within it who are swamped by a horrible culture. (Try getting most departments to answer your phone call when you're seeking their help…)
23-05-2018, 11:13   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rechuchote View Post
So true. Not that the system is broken, but the civil service is, or at least cracked in the rim, at the moment. Tragic when you think of the really wonderful civil servants working within it who are swamped by a horrible culture. (Try getting most departments to answer your phone call when you're seeking their help…)
I've been doing that with a particular dept since last week. I get through, but never to the right person, leave a message and "Laura" will call you back the 32nd of never
23-05-2018, 11:21   #57
Fann Linn

They're probably better than most of the countless backbenchers from FF/FG/LP/ SF etc etc who go through complete Dail terms, pick up their wages, expenses and pensions and contribute sfa to either the Dail, state or their constituency.
23-05-2018, 11:27   #58
Rechuchote

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtoro View Post
I've been doing that with a particular dept since last week. I get through, but never to the right person, leave a message and "Laura" will call you back the 32nd of never
Take the "speak Irish" option, often works better…
Thanks from:
23-05-2018, 12:15   #59
topper75

If I was from Kerry I'd never vote for anyone but them. They are superb local reps.

I'm in Limerick - we have had TDs who are well into their 'national interest' game, but do zilch for their constituents. Same old depressing self-serving careerist incumbents on the polling card.

For the OP and others who don't consider the Healy Rae lads to be bright - go down so and run against them in the next GE. Can't be too hard and you stand to earn a seat of power worth not a whole lot short of €100,000 p.a.
23-05-2018, 12:42   #60
LaChatteGitane

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgrover View Post
They embody all that is wrong with Irish politics. Pubs and primarily money from public sector seem to have financed their family empire for generations. The also figured out the the most efficient way to ensure a constant flow of public funds directly to their private enterprise is through getting elected first to Co. Co. and they as TDs. I'm not suggesting they are doing anything illegal. They are just highlighting what an inept system we have.
On an individual level they are ignorance personified..... Blocking drink driving laws, claiming electric cars are dangerous in the wet (due to electrocution), talking biblical bull**** about retribution etc etc..... They and their ilk are a ****ing scour on our country....
I have nothing but distain for them personally and all that justify or support their existence in public life...
All true, but would you believe that Danny was promoting electric cars a year ago ? Wonder what he got out of it.
https://scontent-dub4-1.xx.fbcdn.net...f7&oe=5B823D60

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion