Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Do you agree with minimum alcohol pricing?
I agree because we have drinking problems in Ireland. 273 20.67%
I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government. 1,048 79.33%
Voters: 1321. You may not vote on this poll

29-11-2016, 05:18   #31
suicide_circus

A can will still be almost three times cheaper than a pint in Dublin city
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-11-2016, 15:48   #32
entropi
Mark It Zero!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy_lad View Post
Problem drinkers will still drink just as much but they will be experimenting with home brewed shoite and there will be many mass poisonings from home-brew spirits like there is on other third world dictatorships.
"Listen, rummy, I'm gonna say it plain and simple. Where'd you pinch the hooch? Is some blind tiger jerking suds on the side?"
29-11-2016, 15:53   #33
GLaDOS
Testing

All the more reason to home brew
(2) thanks from:
29-11-2016, 16:05   #34

The poitin stills be back out in force. Smuggling of alcohol will start up once again big time.

Ps couldn't vote in poll as did not like the choices, so I abstained. :-)
(4) thanks from:
29-11-2016, 16:05   #35
ScumLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
The poll is flawed as it doesn't cover enough options. As a nation we clearly do have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol and how we consume it. Not all of us obviously, but there is a significant portion of the population who do.
I don't know about all this. I used to drink like a viking when I was a young lad, all my friends used to drink as much as possible. But as we got older the desire to drink just went. Now I go to the pub and have 3 or 4 pints and I'm done. Not even drunk as such, I'm just done, I don't want any more.

Young people will probably always be binge drinkers. They have literally nothing better to be doing. They live comfortable lives and are suckling at the teet of civilized western democracy.

I also find it sort of hard to believe that we're currently the worst for drink. My father went to the pub on a very regular basis, they could drink without thinking of consequences and get rightly hammered, my mother can now drink me under the table, she can knock back brandy like a boss. All her friends can too.

Young people will always binge drink (bar the onset of a war or some sort of political travesty), we may be particularly good at it, that could simply be down to genes, but the rest of Europe tries its damndest to keep up at a party.

I don't see how anything they do is going to convince young people to not enjoy their youth. In the vast majority of cases, the majority of those people will just lose that ability to drink like a fish and grow up, get responsibilities, have to deal with babies.

That just leaves alcoholics. I think these kind for laws are more likely to push those people onto something harder and drive drinking underground with the rest of the frowned upon drugs.

It's a typical half arsed waste of time move from our government. It's like they just enjoy coming up with ways of avoiding doing anything productive thinking if they look busy enough we'll get off their backs.
Advertisement
29-11-2016, 16:07   #36

What the feck is it with FG. Would they ever leave us the fck alone with all this crap.

Hope the EU tell them to shove their plan where the water charges dont shine.
29-11-2016, 16:15   #37
Outlaw Pete

Gonna buy van loads of cans every week in the northern territory and sell them at €1 a pop down here, see.

You'll not catch me copper, see.

That was supposed to be a prohibition joke. Not sure if I pulled it off too well.
29-11-2016, 16:19   #38
DrumSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw Pete View Post
Gonna buy van loads of cans every week in the northern territory and sell them at €1 a pop down here, see.

That was supposed to be a prohibition joke. Not sure if I pulled it off too well.
Looks like the Beer Barron will be making a reappearance
29-11-2016, 16:22   #39

So... If I am reading this right. It's now going to be cheaper to get drunk or pissed drinking spirits rather than beer. If this is about alcoholism, my word, that is throwing petrol on the fire. What utter plonkers. Anyone who has witnessed proper alcoholism knows spirits are quite literally the most addictive and devistating ones out of the alcohol range.

I really wish this government would just keep out of this area, they haven't got a ****ing breeze about any of it.
Advertisement
29-11-2016, 16:22   #40
Mortpourvelo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumLord View Post
I my mother can now drink me under the table, she can knock back brandy like a boss. All her friends can too.
It's a mammy thing - mine passed away almost a quarter of a century ago but I'm yet to see anyone knock back as much vodka and orange as her and remain standing and speaking coherently!

No hangovers neither - and she didn't drink all the time, maybe once a month.

Wasn't genetic - few pints and am a gonna these days!!!
Thanks from:
29-11-2016, 16:23   #41
Mortpourvelo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw Pete View Post

Can you box us off with some Stella lad ???
29-11-2016, 16:29   #42
SEPT 23 1989

29-11-2016, 16:29   #43

Just thinking about it there also. Would it not have made more sense to restrict the alcohol content of products? IE, bring cans down to 2/3% max and spirits down to 21% max. I really fail to see how price is going to stop an alcoholic from buying the same amount of drink. You don't see people addicted to heroin saying '**** lads, too expensive for me today, I will have to take a break'. Oh wait. Forgot they problem doesn't exist according to this government cause heroin is illegal.

Class.
Thanks from:
29-11-2016, 16:29   #44
MeatTwoVeg
Banned

Alcohol is far too cheap in this country, particularly in the off-trade.
Compared to 20 years ago prices have fallen dramatically in real terms.

It's time something was done to address this considering the cost that cheap alcohol causes our society.

I'm all n favor of minimum pricing and I applaud its imminent introduction.

Personally, I can't really see it affecting me as I don't drink the type of cheap alcohol this will most likely target.
Thanks from:
29-11-2016, 16:31   #45
GLaDOS
Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatTwoVeg View Post

Personally, I can't really see it affecting me as I don't drink the type of cheap alcohol this will most likely target.
It's rather naive of you to think this won't push up the price of all other drink

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion