Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I slept last night! First night since coming into hospital a week ago. I feel amazing!

It probably helped that they gave me my own room yesterday (a lovely, big, en-suite - the biggest room on the ward!) and also put me on a lower risk level, so I'm free to leave the ward whenever I want, as long as I stay on hospital grounds. It's nice they're starting to trust me. (I have "prior form" in this hospital and others that would mean they'd be perfectly justified in keeping me in a shared room in a locked ward for the duration of my stay!)

They also let me choose to stay on an all-female general psychiatric ward ... I won't go into my reasons for wanting that, but I explained my reasons to them and they were SO kind and understanding and made an exception for me. And they're very gently easing me into the program so I'm not overwhelmed with the intensity of group therapy etc. They are actually being so flexible and tailoring everything to my needs. It's so good of them.

I finally feel people are getting me and listening to me ... maybe, this time, it'll finally all work out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Turtle_ wrote: »
    Hm. Waking up feeling rubbish... I got a huge raise yesterday... Why am I not happy?

That's what this bastard condition does to us. It totally messes with our heads and can turn good things bad, and bad things good.

Congratulations on getting the huge raise, T. You're totally worth it! x :)
    I slept last night! First night since coming into hospital a week ago. I feel amazing!

It probably helped that they gave me my own room yesterday (a lovely, big, en-suite - the biggest room on the ward!) and also put me on a lower risk level, so I'm free to leave the ward whenever I want, as long as I stay on hospital grounds. It's nice they're starting to trust me. (I have "prior form" in this hospital and others that would mean they'd be perfectly justified in keeping me in a shared room in a locked ward for the duration of my stay!)

They also let me choose to stay on an all-female general psychiatric ward ... I won't go into my reasons for wanting that, but I explained my reasons to them and they were SO kind and understanding and made an exception for me. And they're very gently easing me into the program so I'm not overwhelmed with the intensity of group therapy etc. They are actually being so flexible and tailoring everything to my needs. It's so good of them.

I finally feel people are getting me and listening to me ... maybe, this time, it'll finally all work out. :)

That's fantastic to hear, Lady! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭get a room

Well done

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Turtle, it's weird but a raise won't always make you feel proud, it's nearly the definition of 'money can't bring you happiness' it can mean less pressure if you struggled with bills before.. Well done on it all the same, do something nice for yourself today that you usually wouldn't, you have earned that..

Lady, delighted you got some sleep, it's so important to get enough when down, even better that you are being well looked after there. Hope it does wonders for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I am in flying form! Up since 7am for an ice-cold shower, had breakfast, reading my book, going to mass in an hour (god knows why, I'm atheist as they come), then an AA meeting, and then I get to see my baby for the afternoon!!!!11!1!1!!!!! Soooo excited.

In general I'm in fantastic form. I think the nurses and other patients are wondering what I'm doing in here at all. But still having the odd mental mood swing. Oh and I had a nightmare/flashbacks of being raped a couple of weeks back, so not a great nights sleep. I really do need to begin to accept and deal with that whole incident. I'm meeting my counsellor tomorrow so I guess she'll want to talk about it.

Anyways right now I'm feeling good and I'm going to have a great day. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Can anyone offer me some encouragement or reassurance. Had a few arguments with my husband and it started up my anxiety again so I've had it a week and low mood. I am on meds but got Valium to take x3 a day. Went to hypnosis on Friday and have a reinforcement session on Tuesday. Please tell me this will end and I'll start to feel better again I'm exhausted with it just need my spark back.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

lukesmom wrote: »
    Can anyone offer me some encouragement or reassurance. Had a few arguments with my husband and it started up my anxiety again so I've had it a week and low mood. I am on meds but got Valium to take x3 a day. Went to hypnosis on Friday and have a reinforcement session on Tuesday. Please tell me this will end and I'll start to feel better again I'm exhausted with it just need my spark back.

Just remember you have gotten through every single day of your life so far and you are still here. That is amazing even if we don't acknowledge it enough. I hope this passes soon for you. You were doing well before this fight? Sometimes a small trigger can bring back all those old, familiar feelings but it will pass. Try and be kind to yourself for the next few days. Treat yourself to something nice like a walk, a film you wanted to see for ages or some comforting food.

Just remember you have gotten through every single day of your life so far and you are still here. That is amazing even if we don't acknowledge it enough. I hope this passes soon for you. You were doing well before this fight? Sometimes a small trigger can bring back all those old, familiar feelings but it will pass. Try and be kind to yourself for the next few days. Treat yourself to something nice like a walk, a film you wanted to see for ages or some comforting food.

Thank you so much for your kind words. Yes I was great before our arguments which have been resolved now but of course I'm left with the anxiety and low mood. I'm going to be kind to myself today and try and think positively. I'm looking forward to the hypnosis on Tuesday it did amazing stuff for me last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Soooo sick of being told to "stop worrying" or "don't stress out" or "calm down. It'll all be grand"..... Some ppl have no idea of the meaning of Anxiety Disorder. >:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

trixychic wrote: »
    Soooo sick of being told to "stop worrying" or "don't stress out" or "calm down. It'll all be grand"..... Some ppl have no idea of the meaning of Anxiety Disorder. >:(

No truer words typed. You don't tell someone to shake off a broken arm. While mental health has become a less taboo subject i guess the education and understanding that comes with that is a way off yet.

• Advertisement

No truer words typed. You don't tell someone to shake off a broken arm. While mental health has become a less taboo subject i guess the education and understanding that comes with that is a way off yet.

It can't come quick enough. I was talking to an immediate family member about the elections and how stressed I am about them and I just keep being told "but sure where is the point in worrying?" To which i said I can't help it. I have GAD... hate it but that's how it is. They just replied "ah yea but the elections are out of your control. Relax". Driving me nuts!!!!

If you could find some explanation of anxiety online and mail it to them to read?. Has to be short and sweet though to keep them interested..

If you could find some explanation of anxiety online and mail it to them to read?. Has to be short and sweet though to keep them interested..

No point. Sick of explaining it to them.

Ps congrats on the mod, grem. I only just noticed!!!! Well deserved!!!! *applause*

That's a pity Trixychic, then again some people just won't understand no matter how things are explained. Hope the anxiety itself gives you a break though..

Thanks, still getting used to it myself!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

I'm thinking of getting into mindfulness... I've noticed that I've been worrying a lot lately about my meds dose, and what I'm going to say when I see the doctor. Ideally I don't want to increase the dose, but I also don't think that I'm on enough of this, so I'm worried that I should say it but she'll want to increase the dose and ideally I don't want to do that and oh look, I'm in a loop.

I just don't know what to do, but I really think that it's the GAD coming out to play. I'm worrying about worrying.. Which I guess is very telling. It's just so frustrating.

So I think mindfulness might be a good idea. Does anyone know some decent online resources for it? Ideally not guided meditation on YouTube, I find sounds coming from my phone very distressing..

Personally I've found various mindfulness exercises very useful however it's a big subject so you may be best off reading reviews of books about the subject to get a feel for the subject and what may work for you.

Turtle.

There's an app called Headspace. It's a subscription service though.

I bought an audiobook called Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world. Like the DBT books, I haven't listened to it really yet. It's got great reviews though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Not in the best of places.
    Quiet and even more so withdrawn than usual.
    Binge eating......14hr sleeps.
    Trying to break the cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Gonna go to the doctor this week, for the first time in months and demand something be done for me. Hopefully he can atleast give me something to dull the panic sensation so I could atleast start working again.

I would really love to be able to do a 40 hour week without putting up with my own bull****.. More angry than anything else at this stage..

Hi La, you're down, not out - sleeping a lot isn't damaging to you thankfully and perhaps you just need a bit extra right now. Be nice to yourself while in a slump it'll pass in time..

• Advertisement

Carzony i hope the doc can help you out and i little bit of anger is no harm once it doesn't control you. Fingers crossed for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Hey. Kinda of a lurker to this so I'll post. I'm playedalive, mid 20s and suffer with Generalised Anxiety Disorder and associative depression. It has been there since my early teens and mental health has not been healthy to my family genes. Got unmanageable since I was in college as I developed very black and white thinking and habits when managing college work and everything.

Rolling onto my mid 20s, I still struggle with my nerves and it is just so annoying and distressing. Was on anti-depressants for it with a GP but began to figure out it wasn't a long term solution. Off them now but I've just started counselling and I'll see how it goes. Unemployed atm (was working in a call centre which was not the best idea mental health wise) but trying to keep busy and not let self defeating thoughts get the better of me is a constant struggle.

Car & La,

Really sorry to hear that ye are both suffering at the moment there. :(

I hope things turn around soon.

I can't offer any advice as I'm in a similar situation. Damn this condition to Hell.

Hey. Kinda of a lurker to this so I'll post. I'm playedalive, mid 20s and suffer with Generalised Anxiety Disorder and associative depression. It has been there since my early teens and mental health has not been healthy to my family genes. Got unmanageable since I was in college as I developed very black and white thinking and habits when managing college work and everything.

Rolling onto my mid 20s, I still struggle with my nerves and it is just so annoying and distressing. Was on anti-depressants for it with a GP but began to figure out it wasn't a long term solution. Off them now but I've just started counselling and I'll see how it goes. Unemployed atm (was working in a call centre which was not the best idea mental health wise) but trying to keep busy and not let self defeating thoughts get the better of me is a constant struggle.

Keep up the good fight, man. You can get out of the rut.

In the meantime, keep posting here. It's a great spot for advice and company.

Welcome aboard Playedalive as Hugo said you'll find a listening ear and moral support here.. Hope you make progress with counselling Grem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

carzony wrote: »
    Gonna go to the doctor this week, for the first time in months and demand something be done for me. Hopefully he can atleast give me something to dull the panic sensation so I could atleast start working again.

I would really love to be able to do a 40 hour week without putting up with my own bull****.. More angry than anything else at this stage..

Hey C

I'm really glad you are going back to the doctor... If I recall correctly, we both initially went around the same time and came out with the default first option for GPs of lexapro...

It feels so much longer than a year ago, it's been a long road and it's not over yet. I guess one of the biggest lessons I learned since then is that nobody is going to advocate for you, and actually most of the time you have to fight hard just to be seen. It's so tiring, and it's exactly the sort of thing that gets to be the hardest when you're suffering like this. It might be worth talking to the GP about a referral to the mental health services so that you can access treatments like cbt if you can't afford to pay for it privately.

Good luck at the doctor, you're worth fighting for. Don't diminish how bad it's been. You deserve to get better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭get a room

Turtle.

There's an app called Headspace. It's a subscription service though.

I bought an audiobook called Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world. Like the DBT books, I haven't listened to it really yet. It's got great reviews though.

I was always an avid reader as is everyone else in the family. But since "this" kicked in, I cant listen to the radio or pick up a book.

get a room wrote: »
    I was always an avid reader as is everyone else in the family. But since "this" kicked in, I cant listen to the radio or pick up a book.

Would you be able to do some gentle meditation for a few minutes? No listening or reading. Just your eyes focused on the light of a candle and your attention focused on your breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Turtle_ wrote: »
    Hey C

I'm really glad you are going back to the doctor... If I recall correctly, we both initially went around the same time and came out with the default first option for GPs of lexapro...

It feels so much longer than a year ago, it's been a long road and it's not over yet. I guess one of the biggest lessons I learned since then is that nobody is going to advocate for you, and actually most of the time you have to fight hard just to be seen. It's so tiring, and it's exactly the sort of thing that gets to be the hardest when you're suffering like this. It might be worth talking to the GP about a referral to the mental health services so that you can access treatments like cbt if you can't afford to pay for it privately.

Good luck at the doctor, you're worth fighting for. Don't diminish how bad it's been. You deserve to get better.

The GP won't be able to fob me off this time round. I know the score by now and the GP just sees anxiety as inconvenient so i've told him that I can't leave the house and he'll have to make a house call to see me. Hopefully that'll be enough for him to start taking the situation a little bit serious and actually seek other avenues and not just medication..

• Advertisement

Have my second hypnosis session tomorrow morning. Slept for a few hours this afternoon and felt absolutely awful when I woke up. Can't believe I still have this anxiety and low mood a week later when I've been doing so damn well for a year. It's so hard with three kids and a husband who works hard. Hoping for some relief tomorrow. I've made an appointment with my gp for Wednesday. I have a bad habit of catastrophising how I feel but I guess that's part of the GAD. Need to shake this off and get my mojo back.

Advertisement