Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-04-2016, 15:27   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by scudzilla View Post
That fight is now3 months away, how easy is it to 'fix' the cardio issue in such a short time, and will a fix only give him another 2 rounds??

This isn't really answering your question but its connected to the cardio side of things and I think JK spoke about this recently for preparation for the next fight.

For 189 & 194 McG spent a good part of his training camp in LA before going to Vegas in the last few(2?) weeks. For 196 McG stayed in Dublin for most of the camp, travelled to LA about 3 weeks before and then only moved onto LV about 5/6 days before the fight. I've never been in LA but I'd imagine its a lot easier to breath with the air coming off the Pacific than it is to get a breath in the desert heat of LV. I('m not fit but) noticed feeling short of air when I was in Vegas and I wasn't in the middle of a fight! So I think going to LV a bit earlier, giving more time to adjust to the heat/humidity will help in terms of not gassing just as quickly during a fight.
Advertisement
03-04-2016, 00:18   #62
Swashbuckler

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but i'll go ahead and ask anyway. If you pay for a PPV on the UFC.TV app, should you have access to that PPV on the app forever? I paid for the McG v Diaz card but for some reason when I try to access it on Fightpass its saying I have to pay for it? Or do you only have access for a short period of time after?
03-04-2016, 01:19   #63
themandan6611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but i'll go ahead and ask anyway. If you pay for a PPV on the UFC.TV app, should you have access to that PPV on the app forever? I paid for the McG v Diaz card but for some reason when I try to access it on Fightpass its saying I have to pay for it? Or do you only have access for a short period of time after?
24 hrs
Thanks from:
03-04-2016, 01:28   #64
roadrunner16

ok maybe a silly question, but why is cheating not penalized more ?, from what I was reading and watching Jon Jones is know for Eye pokes, and I think it was the second fight between Aldo and Mendez where Aldo grabbed the fence to defend a take down,both of these kind of things could drastically effect the outcome of a fight and I know a point deducted could as well but it seems like having a point deducted is a small price to pay for something like that ???
04-04-2016, 00:41   #65
JustShon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner16 View Post
ok maybe a silly question, but why is cheating not penalized more ?, from what I was reading and watching Jon Jones is know for Eye pokes, and I think it was the second fight between Aldo and Mendez where Aldo grabbed the fence to defend a take down,both of these kind of things could drastically effect the outcome of a fight and I know a point deducted could as well but it seems like having a point deducted is a small price to pay for something like that ???
Out of curiosity, what kind of penalty would you consider appropriate?

I'm not having a go, just wondering what you think would be an appropriate punishment.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-04-2016, 06:17   #66
TimRiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner16 View Post
Eyepokes are accidental (we think) so taking a point for the first time would be harsh. Its more of a fault with the UFC Gloves more than anything. Grabbing the fence is cheating. The problem is, as you said, taking a point changes the whole fight. It was essentially end a fight in many ways, as the fighter who loses it might already be down a round and has to go gung ho. I'd imagine the referees want to stay out of the headlines for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustShon View Post

I'm not having a go, just wondering what you think would be an appropriate punishment.
The problem is within the 10 round scoring system. If the system changed to

10-9 for a close round
10-8 for a one sided round and
10-7 for all but finishing your opponent (basically what a 10-8 is now)

this would mean the refs could take a point and not essentially end the fight.
(2) thanks from:
04-04-2016, 15:44   #67
roadrunner16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustShon View Post

I wouldn't know to be honest hence why I'm posting in the newbie thread !!

I would imagine a particularly harsh penalty would discourage it pretty quickly, maybe a monetary fine??, or for a repeated offence in the case of eye pokes or groin shots maybe being forced to forfeit a round, I mean I know that in a lot cases they are accidental, but does that still dosen't mean they should go unpunished??(genuinely unsure about this)
04-04-2016, 15:48   #68
roadrunner16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimRiggins View Post
Eyepokes are accidental (we think) so taking a point for the first time would be harsh. Its more of a fault with the UFC Gloves more than anything. Grabbing the fence is cheating. The problem is, as you said, taking a point changes the whole fight. It was essentially end a fight in many ways, as the fighter who loses it might already be down a round and has to go gung ho. I'd imagine the referees want to stay out of the headlines for the most part.

The problem is within the 10 round scoring system. If the system changed to

10-9 for a close round
10-8 for a one sided round and
10-7 for all but finishing your opponent (basically what a 10-8 is now)

this would mean the refs could take a point and not essentially end the fight.
Ok I see what you mean that makes sense, when I think of it like that and how 1 point can change a round it actually seems a bit more realistic I guess

thanks for the answers!
04-04-2016, 16:35   #69
partyjungle

Is there any defined structure of who gets to fight who?
Advertisement
04-04-2016, 16:52   #70
Swashbuckler

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyjungle View Post
There are two matchmakers in the ufc. Sean Shelby for the lighter weight classes and Joe Silva for the heavier (from welterweight upwards I think). Joe Silva is the guy you'd see coming into the octagon more or less as soon as a fight ends to shake the fighters hands. I'm sure Dana White has an input to the matchmaking and the fighters themselves have an input too. Some fighters like Conor seem to have a lot more input. Other fighters just leave it to the matchmakers.
04-04-2016, 17:00   #71
Easy Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyjungle View Post
Not really, i think there's two different matchmakers, depending on the weight class, Joe Silva & Sean Shelby so the majority of time it's their personal choices of who fights who. The only real time objectivity comes into play is if the sanctioning board doesn't allow a complete mismatch e.g. CM Punk was never going to fight someone like Cathal Pendred with a 20-4 fight record or something.

Other factors that would come into it, in no particular order, would be money, timing, bad blood, fan requests, Dana orders, winning streaks (Even the most boring fighter will probably get a title shot eventually if they keep winning).

Strikeforce, Bellator & Pride have all run tournaments at one stage or another which certainly falls under the more structured criteria but UFC hasn't in recent years...Unless you count The Ultimate Fighter and even then they've changed it to make it less structured and more to do with good television.
04-04-2016, 17:23   #72

In terms of punishments for eye pokes, grabbing the fence, etc, I think its time for the refs to be harsh. Onbiously the refs speak to fighters in the locker rooms to confirm the rules. During the fight I think 1st offence = 1st & only warning, if they do it again then its a point taken off.

Yes it may sound harsh, but I guarantee you as soon as a fighter looses a fight because of it will be the last time he makes that mistake again. Eye pokes IMO are very easy to wipe out, simply ban fighters from using open handed pawing(cant think of better term?) of opponents. If they move their hands forward they have to use a closed fist. From the grabbling & submission point of the sport they can't really do much with the gloves that would stop it.
Thanks from:
08-04-2016, 10:09   #73
JustShon

Simple one with a short yes or no answer: Are headbutts allowed in UFC?

I've been trawling through old fights and never see them being used so I'm assuming it's a no but wanted to ask to make sure.
08-04-2016, 10:12   #74
RonanP77

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustShon
Simple one with a short yes or no answer: Are headbutts allowed in UFC?
No.
Thanks from:
08-04-2016, 10:13   #75
JustShon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonanP77 View Post
No.
Cheers thought so.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline