Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-04-2019, 17:14   #91
DrPhilG

Good to see a new Mod. Not so good to see that he/she feels the need to put " " around the word sport to describe MMA.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-04-2019, 17:17   #92
ASOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhilG View Post
Good to see a new Mod. Not so good to see that he/she feels the need to put " " around the word sport to describe MMA.
Yeah I didn't want to say that as of fear of getting banned, bit weird having someone mod the forum who wouldn't consider it a sport. Id rather no additional mod than that.
10-04-2019, 17:29   #93
Beasty
Administrator

I never said I did not consider it a sport, and apologies if it came across that way. I was trying to distinguish the sporting side from the other stuff that surrounds the sport, particularly in the Irish context - clearly there is quite a lot of gossip and other stuff that attracts headlines, but it's not the sort of stuff that should be considered part of the sport itself
(3) thanks from:
10-04-2019, 20:39   #94
Zero-Cool
Wanted Level

On a positive note, I think the off topic discussion thread is working out nicely.
(4) thanks from:
11-04-2019, 18:01   #95
DrPhilG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty View Post
I never said I did not consider it a sport, and apologies if it came across that way. I was trying to distinguish the sporting side from the other stuff that surrounds the sport, particularly in the Irish context - clearly there is quite a lot of gossip and other stuff that attracts headlines, but it's not the sort of stuff that should be considered part of the sport itself
Fair enough, thanks for clarifying.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-04-2019, 02:58   #96
derfderf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero-Cool View Post
On a positive note, I think the off topic discussion thread is working out nicely.
I was thinking the same thing. I can't recall the last warning I've seen.
Also a little but of off topic seems to be allowed in the other threads. It's pretty harmless, and as long as it's not derailing threads it seems to be the way to go.
14-04-2019, 04:08   #97
dulux99

Quote:
Originally Posted by derfderf View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I can't recall the last warning I've seen.
Also a little but of off topic seems to be allowed in the other threads. It's pretty harmless, and as long as it's not derailing threads it seems to be the way to go.
In fairness 90% of MMA news stories are regarding things that happen outside the cage. It was needed.
Thanks from:
14-04-2019, 04:43   #98
derfderf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulux99 View Post
In fairness 90% of MMA news stories are regarding things that happen outside the cage. It was needed.
I do like how it's being handled though. No more pages and pages of whiskey talk in the mcG thread, but people aren't being warned for mentioning it in a post or two.
It was very hard to find a balance before without shutting down discussion, but it's working very well now.
(2) thanks from:
28-05-2019, 14:39   #99
rob316

Could we get a dedicated thread for irish MMA - amateur and pro discussion?
Advertisement
28-05-2019, 16:08   #100
Axwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob316 View Post
Could we get a dedicated thread for irish MMA - amateur and pro discussion?
Not sure there is really a need for a dedicated one as there is rarely a huge amount of discussion around it outside of an event being on. Happy to add one though as long as it doesnt turn into a McGregor discussion thread..we already have enough of that elsewhere.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion