Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-03-2019, 21:43   #61
riffmongous

Quick question, while no commentary/discussion/speculation is allowed on legal stuff, can it still be acknowledged that the legal issues exist? Otherwise the general discussion on a topic runs the risk of becoming farcial when people aren't aware they even exist.
Advertisement
27-03-2019, 22:05   #62
Axwell

Not quite sure what you are asking exactly. Acknowledging it exists on the thread means bringing it up in a discussion which clearly isn't allowed.

Anyone who is interested in MMA/follows the sport/reads social media is going to be aware of any legal issues etc so not sure where the risk is of any other discussion becoming farcical or why there would be a need to reference something which would be a breach of the charter.
27-03-2019, 22:20   #63
Beasty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axwell View Post
Not quite sure what you are asking exactly. Acknowledging it exists on the thread means bringing it up in a discussion which clearly isn't allowed.
I think this is key here. The problem is when someone mentions what may be an irrefutable "fact", that encourages others to discuss the issue (and in some cases speculate in a fashion that could prejudice potential court cases). It's not an area many of us claim any legal expertise on, and hard and fast rules prohibiting such discussion avoids what could be potentially risky judgement calls

Overlay a desire from many regulars (some expressing views in this thread) that they want the discussion to be about the sport, and not issues of a personal nature that the likes of McGregor can get involved in, perhaps the way the rules are applies (particularly in the McGregor thread) is the only way to try and keep a lid on stuff which really is off-topic
27-03-2019, 22:37   #64
riffmongous

Quote:

Anyone who is interested in MMA/follows the sport/reads social media is going to be aware of any legal issues etc so not sure where the risk is of any other discussion becoming farcical or why there would be a need to reference something which would be a breach of the charter.
Well we don't all follow social media, and i dont pay attention to stuff that is just rumours. I watch the events and I get most of my news from reading here nowadays..I ask because It's only when I saw a deleted post and went to sherdog to check that I saw a very different side of things. I totally understand and agree that the legal stuff cannot be commented on, but to me that's different to acknowledging that legal issues exist which is important to know if you are discussing someone and it's known and published news in the rest of the world. To me you get two wildly different discussions and theories on what is happening depending on what you know (it's hard to get any clearer without big specific )

Feel free to snip my post after reading it
27-03-2019, 22:49   #65
Axwell

The issue as I said (and Beasty repeated) is that once something is mentioned then a discussion is bound to follow on from it and that takes it in a direction it isn't allowed to go. At the end of the day, any theories or discussion suggesting certain events are partly related would also have to follow these rules so would be limited by that. Prohibiting such discussion avoids what could be potentially risky judgement calls as above.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-03-2019, 00:05   #66
The Floyd p

I feel for the most part the moderating on this forum is fair. I'm relatively new to the forum but tbh I'm personally more interested in other fights/fighters than McGregor. I feel like insta bans for anything potentially libelous or just blatantly trolling ("McGregor is a knacker" "All the drugs is getting to him" etc) would require an additional mod to clean things up, which would be welcome as most right minded MMA fans have scope beyond CMcG and don't want the forum cluttered with that stuff. I also like the implementation of a minimum post limit. Beyond the McGregor thread most threads don't see much traction from the usual faces so you'd almost be able to spot straight away someone spamming the general thread or betting thread in order to get a post count up.

It's annoying really because Ireland is in a unique position having one of the most famous athletes in the world, as well as a really knowledgeable MMA core group here. The consistent posters here have opened my eyes personally on fighting styles, fighters on the rise as well as MMA spots around the country for local training. Ultimately the McGregor shine will wear off (hopefully soon) and this forum will remain. I don't mind some more heavy action by mod(s) for the time being to cut out all the nonsense surrounding him by lurkers, but personal issues/matters relating to other fighters should be fine to be discussed once not of a legal sensitivity. I doubt anyone beyond "serious" MMA fans want to discuss Ferguson's situation, for instance.
28-03-2019, 22:15   #67
Donald Trump

Here's the gas thing.
Loads of comments which come across as sneery on this forum about "not real fans" or whatever.
Yet if you look at the front page of the forum, most threads seem to revolve around UFC.

Full disclosure: I don't follow it or consider it a sport. I consider this UFC as some form of entertainment but not one I'd be bothered to pay to watch. Would have a passing curiosity in what it is all about. There is a girl I used to know through boxing who was pro MMA (but not with UFC). I don't know if she still is. I hadn't seen her in about 8 years though before I saw that she was doing it and was professional.

But then if you come here to have a read about it or try to find out what the attraction actually is, you are hit with that cliquey shite.

Again, I have even less interest in soccerball, but I'd have to imagine an analogy would be me trying to post on a soccer forum and being told I wasn't welcome because I wasn't a "real fan" like the rest of them who mainly talk only about Real Madrid and Lionel Messi.

The rule appears to be that anything perceived to be a "positive" for one particular individual is allowed, but if it could be viewed as negative then it's wiped off the site. Bad behaviour is allowed to be reported as long as it's because "he's a mad yoke and legend".

Outside of sport, you had the likes of Jimmy Saville who was held in high esteem and respected because high-up people in the BBC snipped any coverage of his known indiscretions and portrayed him as a great lad and a hero. I'm not saying that anyone is remotely as bad as Saville, but the sweeping under the carpet of anything remotely negative about someone is not dissimilar. To be honest, it also comes across as a little sad and as if people think that either they are already friends with the fella in their own head, or that if they look after him online, that one day he will find it out and then become great friends with them :-)
Thanks from:
28-03-2019, 22:58   #68
Steve
Life is hard, deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post
Here's the gas thing.
Loads of comments which come across as sneery on this forum about "not real fans" or whatever.
Yet if you look at the front page of the forum, most threads seem to revolve around UFC.

Full disclosure: I don't follow it or consider it a sport. I consider this UFC as some form of entertainment but not one I'd be bothered to pay to watch. Would have a passing curiosity in what it is all about. There is a girl I used to know through boxing who was pro MMA (but not with UFC). I don't know if she still is. I hadn't seen her in about 8 years though before I saw that she was doing it and was professional.

But then if you come here to have a read about it or try to find out what the attraction actually is, you are hit with that cliquey shite.

Again, I have even less interest in soccerball, but I'd have to imagine an analogy would be me trying to post on a soccer forum and being told I wasn't welcome because I wasn't a "real fan" like the rest of them who mainly talk only about Real Madrid and Lionel Messi.

The rule appears to be that anything perceived to be a "positive" for one particular individual is allowed, but if it could be viewed as negative then it's wiped off the site. Bad behaviour is allowed to be reported as long as it's because "he's a mad yoke and legend".

Outside of sport, you had the likes of Jimmy Saville who was held in high esteem and respected because high-up people in the BBC snipped any coverage of his known indiscretions and portrayed him as a great lad and a hero. I'm not saying that anyone is remotely as bad as Saville, but the sweeping under the carpet of anything remotely negative about someone is not dissimilar. To be honest, it also comes across as a little sad and as if people think that either they are already friends with the fella in their own head, or that if they look after him online, that one day he will find it out and then become great friends with them :-)
If you went into the tennis forum and said 'I don't think tennis is a sport' what reaction would you expect?

While the feedback is welcome, my answer is that this is an MMA forum, if you don't like that fact then the rest of the internet is at your disposal.

It's this way ------>

(2) thanks from:
28-03-2019, 23:05   #69
Axwell

I would also add that what you consider as 'brushing under the carpet' is actually strict moderation due to the legal ramifications of discussion around a potential court case. There are bigger concerns here concerning legal matters than the simplistic view of whether someone's image gets tarnished and people find out they are not a 'great lad and a hero' as you put it.
Advertisement
28-03-2019, 23:43   #70
Donald Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
If you went into the tennis forum and said 'I don't think tennis is a sport' what reaction would you expect?

While the feedback is welcome, my answer is that this is an MMA forum, if you don't like that fact then the rest of the internet is at your disposal.

It's this way ------>

I said I was not a fan of UFC. And I do not claim to have anything other than a very very passing knowledge of it. But it would be my basic understanding that MMA does not equate wholly and totally with UFC.
I would assume that there is more to MMA than UFC. But maybe there isn't.

If I went to the rugby forum and said I was not a fan of tag-rugby, or sevens rugby, I don't think I'd be told to leave the forum.

But you illustrated my point with the "------>".
28-03-2019, 23:49   #71
ASOT

Quote:
I said I was not a fan of UFC. And I do not claim to have anything other than a very very passing knowledge of it. But it would be my basic understanding that MMA does not equate wholly and totally with UFC.
I would assume that there is more to MMA than UFC. But maybe there isn't.

If I went to the rugby forum and said I was not a fan of tag-rugby, or sevens rugby, I don't think I'd be told to leave the forum.

But you illustrated my point with the "------>".
His point is if you don't consider it a sport why would you waste your time discussing it on a forum? Seems fairly pointless. I don't believe in religion so I wouldn't bother going to any of the religious forums on here.
28-03-2019, 23:54   #72
Donald Trump

Quote:
I would also add that what you consider as 'brushing under the carpet' is actually strict moderation due to the legal ramifications of discussion around a potential court case. There are bigger concerns here concerning legal matters than the simplistic view of whether someone's image gets tarnished and people find out they are not a 'great lad and a hero' as you put it.

Well surely those same concerns would be present in other, actual "gossipy" threads on the matter which exist elsewhere on the site?

And surely those same concerns existed when someone threw bottles of water at a press conference? Or when they rounded up a group of gentlemen to fly on a private jet to "fight bus" and injure people in retaliation under the guise of somehow honourably sticking up for a friend. Or when they get involved in post-fight trouble, taking and giving a few slaps? All those things were discussed but because some people actually consider them somehow positive, they are allowed.

I'm not even talking about allowing allegations or rumours. But when someone is arrested and charged for something, not being allowed to mention that fact on a thread specifically about him is ridiculous and is sweeping it under the carpet.
Thanks from:
28-03-2019, 23:56   #73
Donald Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post
His point is if you don't consider it a sport why would you waste your time discussing it on a forum? Seems fairly pointless. I don't believe in religion so I wouldn't bother going to any of the religious forums on here.

Does everyone on here have the opinion that MMA=UFC???????????

I can't come on here to try to find out a bit about MMA because I don't really care about UFC?

Seems a bit mad

Maybe the forum should be renamed to "UFC" rather than "MMA"
29-03-2019, 00:00   #74
ASOT

Quote:
Does everyone on here have the opinion that MMA=UFC???????????

I can't come on here to try to find out a bit about MMA because I don't really care about UFC?

Seems a bit mad

Maybe the forum should be renamed to "UFC" rather than "MMA"
By your own admission you don't consider it a sport?

Quote:
Full disclosure: I don't follow it or consider it a sport.
29-03-2019, 00:02   #75
Donald Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post
By your own admission you don't consider it a sport?

Nice selective quoting

Quote:

Full disclosure: I don't follow it or consider it a sport. I consider this UFC as some form of entertainment but not one I'd be bothered to pay to watch.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion