Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-01-2012, 22:10   #1
Fysh

Meet the Londoners - an introductions & general chat thread

I'm seeing a good influx of new usernames around the place, which is great, so I thought it'd be good to have a thread for folks to introduce themselves - aside from anything else it means anyone coming to a Beers session soon has a bit more of an idea what to expect.

Edited to add: I've made this a sticky so that it's easy to find for the time being. Please don't post any chat in this thread - I've moved some posts to the Off-topic/chat thread.

So, to get the ball rolling, I'm Kyle. I moved here four and a bit years ago after five years living in Cork, and I love it here. I work in IT support in central London, for a university (not a bank, thank god). I'm into reading, drawing comics, playing videogames, watching films, giving out about films, and being a bit snobby about beer.

I love that London has so many green spaces, so many great cinemas and bookshops, so many excellent cheap food places, and so many things that you can do even when you're broke.

What about you?

Last edited by Fysh; 26-01-2012 at 20:45.
Advertisement
15-01-2012, 20:31   #2
Playboy

Send a message via MSN to Playboy
Good idea Fysh

Name is Michael .. moved here 5 years ago this month from Galway. I live in Streatham in south london (pretty close to Clapham, Balham, Brixton) and have done for the last 4 years.

I work as a sourcing consultant for a Bank .. joined intially on their Graduate program.

I'm a movie freak! Love my box set US TV shows like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Wire etc. Also love reading (you have to if you travel in London!). Try not to go out as much anymore as it was starting to hurt the wallet and the liver. Still love a night out a couple of times a month though. Really enjoy going out for a meal and trying different restaurants. Also love to travel when I get a chance. If I'm on my own and bored I'll play some video games but its quite rare that I get that opportunity now!
16-01-2012, 21:05   #3
Fenny

I'll give it a go.

Sharon here, just moved over last summer after finishing college. Working in North London while living in SW, but hopefully moving to somewhere closer in the near future. Still staying with (VERY hospitable) family - bet they didn't predict this long a stay when I blew in six odd months ago! - until I get a place of my own with some friends from home, hopefully.

Love films and London's excellent selection of cinemas, even if a ticket somewhere central does cost you your firstborn; reading anything and everything; and quoting Arrested Development until people want to punch me in the face (probably). I also love going to gigs, musicals and museums, which I think basically makes London the best place in the world for me to be at the moment.
16-01-2012, 21:34   #4
x43r0

Nice thread idea

My name's Damien. I moved here last summer after finishing a masters in college and started work in Canary Wharf on the grad program for one of the investment banks. Living in North Greenwich - which is the docklands(ish) area by the O2. Picked the area purely for the convenient commute (20 mins door to door ).

Absolutely loving being here so far, mainly because there are very few limits here. If you want to do something in London, chances are there is somewhere in the city where you can do it! Very much enjoy the nightlife here too, mainly went out in Clapham, Central and Camden areas until I broke my leg in December and haven't seen the inside of a pub/club(or work) since
17-01-2012, 10:43   #5
silvervixen84

Send a message via Skype™ to silvervixen84
I'm Shirley. I moved here from Cork 1 1/2 years ago with a friend. She's since moved back home so now it's just me!

I live in NW London and work in the legal department of a media company in SW London.

I love that London has so much to offer. Music, comedy, theatre, shopping, museums, history, nice restaurants, markets...

I enjoy quizzes, so always go to the regular one at the North London Tavern with other London boardsies. I also watch an unhealthy amount of TV, love going to gigs and attend the occasional gym class

Here's a picture of me at work:

Advertisement
17-01-2012, 13:04   #6
duffarama

Well, after a short term contract in the summer I moved permanently to London at the end of September having secured a job in Kent. I'm from Dublin and didn't fancy living in the sticks, plus I've always liked London as a city and wanted to live here for a long time.

Living in a very sleepy posh neighbourhood (No idea how that happened) but I'm close to Brixton and love hanging out down there and finding cool bars and trying different types of food.

Still finding my feet in the city and working on making friends, the fact that I have a couple of mates from home living nearby is great too. Looking forward to 2012 immensely!
17-01-2012, 13:32   #7
Scarinae
Hosted Moderator

HMod: ODG
I’m Ailbhe, I moved over here in October 2009 to do my MSc and stayed on. I live in SW London and work in for a magazine in EC.

I love a lot of things about London – the museums, the theatre (when I can afford it), the parks in summer, how easy it is to travel around. Bits of London life I’m not so keen on include the passive-aggressive tube commuters and having to explain my name to basically every person I come into contact with.

I have been known to get a bit competitive at quizzes [/understatement]
17-01-2012, 13:45   #8
Tefral

I might as well throw my hat into the ring.

My name is Jonathan Cronin, moved over from Ireland in December of last year. Was working in Dublin as a Quantity Surveyor and transferred within my own company where I was doing a three day week to their Heathrow Based office where now there isnt enough hours in the day to do my work ha ha.

My girlfriend is still back home working away in Dublin so I travel home quite a bit. I moved into a house share that I found on spareroom and the couple happened to be Irish so its a little easier when I get home. My mate is moving over from New Zealand (he's also Irish) in March so going to be looking looking for a new place to live next Month.

So far I havent had the opportunity to sample much of London as I was just head down in work and the days were quickly turning to nights.

Hopefully ill get a chance to get out more once I get settled in.

So far I have found it hard to adjust to being away from the OH and stuff and am looking at Ireland with the green eye of Envy. I plan on joining a rugby and boxing club soon so should get me out of the house in the evenings.

And just for laughs this is my typical Monday morning
18-01-2012, 16:08   #9
LadyMayBelle

Right, so I'm LadyMaybelle . Moved here in June 2010, following my partner who had gotten work here. Lived in NW London (West Hampstead/Kilburn) until January 2011, when we moved out to East London. Big change, still adjusting, loved NW London!) Kilburn's deadly for gigs and the likes..

Trained as a social worker in Ireland and now working for a charity (half day Fridays, woo!), tis hard but I like it. Did a few funny odd jobs before I landed this one, ah the world of social work!

Free time for me is zumba (fun!) and love my boxsets (gone through Mad Men, The Sopranos, The Wire, Friday Night Lights (which is possibly my favourite and I recommend it highly) finishing Breaking Bad and just started Twin Peaks..)) I sound tv mad..and like films and wine and chocolate, indie tunes (6 Music fan) and a bit of crafting (crochet and making stuff) on the side..like nice cafes and markets and getting a nice meal in a nice resteraunt!

Last edited by LadyMayBelle; 19-01-2012 at 15:55.
Advertisement
18-01-2012, 16:52   #10
Tefral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMayBelle View Post
Right, so I'm LadyMaybelle . Moved here in June 2010, following my partner who had gotten work here. Lived in NW London (West Hampstead/Kilburn) until January 2011, when we moved out to East London. Big change, still adjusting, loved NW London!)

Trained as a social worker in Ireland and now working for a charity (half day Fridays, woo!), tis hard but I like it. Did a few funny odd jobs before I landed this one, ah the world of social work!

Free time for me is zumba (fun!) and love my boxsets (gone through Mad Men, The Sopranos, The Wire, Friday Night Lights (which is possibly my favourite and I recommend it highly) finishing Breaking Bad and just started Twin Peaks..)) I sound tv mad..and like films and wine and chocolate, and a bit of crafting (crochet and making stuff) on the side..like nice cafes and markets and getting a nice meal in a nice resteraunt!
Small bit off topic but you should start watching Sonds of Anarchy.. id say you would love it
Thanks from:
18-01-2012, 18:03   #11
flynninio

this is wicked idea and i even considered with a mate starting a page on facebook to this effect. its always good to stay in touch with irish when abroad imo. i do go to irish pubs at ties but near me in north london it tends to be mainly old pubs which are good craic but not any new arrivals like myself.
I have been here for 5 yrs this month and on the most part i actually love the city and all it offers but do miss certain things like watchin sports from home with ates like the rugby or ireland matches etc. did try the gaa clubs at first but found a lot of the quite clicky tbh. handy initially finding work as i a plumber but am about to change professions to be a carer for people with learning difficulties(not sure this would av happened at home).

if anybody wants to chat or hook up with other irish send me a pm as i do know quite a few irish here now and know it can be daunting when new .

good luck to everyone on here anyhow.
19-01-2012, 00:52   #12
exiledelbows

Hi, my name's Davet. I moved over in April 2008 with my girlfriend, originally to Brighton and then moved up to London in April 2011.

I live near Willesden Junction and work for a legal publishing company in Notting Hill. It's an area of London I really love, Portobello Road feels like a little village rather than London and while it's a bit pretentious you can usually go one street over and stumble across a Palestinian or Spanish enclave with the most incredible food stalls.

I love London for a lot of the same reasons mentioned above - the cinemas, the museums, the architecture, the history, the fact there's always something on.

I'm big into my sport and love the fact that, with a little planning, you can get along to see any live sport you might care to see. In a 12-month period starting from last July I'm going to see the Open Championship in Kent, Wimbledon, the London Marathon, Northampton V Munster this Saturday, the Heineken Cup Final in Twickenham, England V Ireland in the Six Nations (if I can get tickets) and various Olympic events, as well as watching the Rugby World Cup Final with a few hundred Kiwis in Shepherds Bush last October. I could never dream of doing that in Ireland, and it's all on my doorstep.

I dislike people who complain about transport when they're late due to delays less than once a month, chuggers, losing at quizzes, people who mimic an Irish accent badly when speaking to me and being made to describe myself on an online forum (that's for you Fysh).
19-01-2012, 11:11   #13
83ste

Hi, Stephen here.

I moved to the UK (Bath) from Dublin in January 2011, then moved to London in September after the car magazine I was working on closed down. I now work for another car magazine (I quite like cars, me) in the somewhat inappropriate location of the West End.

I live in southeast London and apart from things with wheels and engines, I enjoy quality music, theatre, TV, movies and books as well as museums and general historical stuff.
19-01-2012, 11:13   #14
flynninio

Quote:
Originally Posted by exiledelbows View Post
Hi, my name's Davet. I moved over in April 2008 with my girlfriend, originally to Brighton and then moved up to London in April 2011.

I live near Willesden Junction and work for a legal publishing company in Notting Hill. It's an area of London I really love, Portobello Road feels like a little village rather than London and while it's a bit pretentious you can usually go one street over and stumble across a Palestinian or Spanish enclave with the most incredible food stalls.

I love London for a lot of the same reasons mentioned above - the cinemas, the museums, the architecture, the history, the fact there's always something on.

I'm big into my sport and love the fact that, with a little planning, you can get along to see any live sport you might care to see. In a 12-month period starting from last July I'm going to see the Open Championship in Kent, Wimbledon, the London Marathon, Northampton V Munster this Saturday, the Heineken Cup Final in Twickenham, England V Ireland in the Six Nations (if I can get tickets) and various Olympic events, as well as watching the Rugby World Cup Final with a few hundred Kiwis in Shepherds Bush last October. I could never dream of doing that in Ireland, and it's all on my doorstep.

I dislike people who complain about transport when they're late due to delays less than once a month, chuggers, losing at quizzes, people who mimic an Irish accent badly when speaking to me and being made to describe myself on an online forum (that's for you Fysh).
that final paragraph made me chuckle. you have done well to get tickets for northampton gae this wk and maybe even luckier to get tickets for irl v eng on paddys day. i had tickets for munsters games as my mate lives in northampton but i couldnt make it up. btw where would you go to watch games on tv? willesdon been near cricklewood i guess you av few options like the crown but i often found even in irish pubs they would prefer to show show the football.

enjoy sat and hope we get the win.
19-01-2012, 14:26   #15
exiledelbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynninio View Post
that final paragraph made me chuckle. you have done well to get tickets for northampton gae this wk and maybe even luckier to get tickets for irl v eng on paddys day. i had tickets for munsters games as my mate lives in northampton but i couldnt make it up. btw where would you go to watch games on tv? willesdon been near cricklewood i guess you av few options like the crown but i often found even in irish pubs they would prefer to show show the football.

enjoy sat and hope we get the win.
I have fellow boardsie Brianderunner to thank for getting the tickets for Saturday.

Re pubs, I actually don't drink near where I live at all (except for work drinks in Notting Hill). Because Willesden Junction is so handy for transport I go over to the Sheephaven Bay in Mornington Crescent for Irish soccer games and I meet up with the Munster supporters club in the Mustard bar at St Pauls for Munster games (its currently closed for refurbishment, so they're in the Cape bar also in St Pauls). I haven't lived in London for a Six Nations campaign yet so haven't decided on a venue.

There's a couple of social events being planned for the game this weekend even if you're not going. PM me if you want details (that goes for anyone else too)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion