Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MS in all its glory

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

I get that. Imagine walking up to a person with acne asking what's up with their face! My limp/ foot drop makes me really self conscious. I only suffer after I have walked for a while so halfway around a park/ Tesco it will start. I often wonder what people think seeing me bounce out of my car in a disabled spot and have to practically lift my leg with my hand to get back into the car a half hour later.

Yes exactly! Thank you for getting my point! It’s nobody’s business. I’m the same with the walking although at the moment every step is heavy. It’s very worrying and I have to really be careful with every step. I might feel like I’m doing amazingly well and then someone piped up “what have you done to yourself”! And then I’m set right back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Yeah there is that reminder that you look different then. Sensory issues are all well and good but it can be embarrassing to limp or trip over nothing, let alone having someone point it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Carrie6OD wrote: »
    Does anybody’s MS get worse when they have a head cold? I’ve had the flu jab so it’s not flu but I have a bad cold and my walking has just gone so bad.

Also I’m thoroughly sick to the back teeth of strangers asking me why I’m “limping”. I’m replying by saying, that’s the just the way I walk, which is the truth, but it’s such an intrusive question for me. 2 strangers said it this morning and that really set my day off. Does anyone else experience this?
    Re symptoms getting worse with a cold my nurse said when you get sick you can have a pseudo relapse. Symptoms get worse but it's not a flare up. Oh the Joy's.
    Also there's a granny at my kids school that always asks me did I hurt my leg / were you on the beer last night ?
    No I didn't and I wasn't. Theres a reason the school gave me a pass to drive in !!!

cjmc wrote: »
    Re symptoms getting worse with a cold my nurse said when you get sick you can have a pseudo relapse. Symptoms get worse but it's not a flare up. Oh the Joy's.
    Also there's a granny at my kids school that always asks me did I hurt my leg / were you on the beer last night ?
    No I didn't and I wasn't. Theres a reason the school gave me a pass to drive in !!!

Thanks for letting me know that. I have PPMS so no relapses but I’m hoping walking will improve when cold is over.

Ah those questions and those people’s faux concern!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I've been stopped twice by a guy who told me he could cure my "sore hip" through prayer. I met him recently again and turned my " cross teacher" face on him so he took the hint.

I've a tendency to fall over if I get too tired and people rush to help.I know it's concern (in most cases)but I do find it embarrassing. I park in the blue badge space at work and a childminder took me to task for parking there. Now, if you ever wanted to see someone hoping the ground would swallow them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I park in the blue badge space at work and a childminder took me to task for parking there. Now, if you ever wanted to see someone hoping the ground would swallow them...

I am generally a nice person but I am beyond p!ssed off at the amount of dirty looks and comments I get when I use a disabled spot. Last month I was putting my screaming newborn and her 2 year old brother into a double buggy I had just put up, sweating all over the place when an oul one came over abruptly asking had I "got a pass". I couldn't hear her (over the screamy baby!) so she asked a lady who just happened to be passing by. When she asked again I said I did, and the passer by sympathised with me, saying how rude she was. It was the first time I had ever had someone be NICE to me after receiving comments/ abuse about using the spot. I once had a parking warden question me about it before I had even parked my car!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Often , when parking in the disabled spot at shopping centres I get dirty looks from oil wans waving their badges at me. Bloody annoys the hell out of me

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Our local shops have a whole herd of "auld wans" who feel age entitles them to a badge space.This as they come in from a round of golf, pilates etc. And yes, I get the dirty looks, but in a way, at least the "lookers" are kind of defending the spaces, instead of parking in them.
    I've been known to park behind of (and block the exit ) the occasional yummy mummy who is " only going to be a minute." I've been followed by someone into a shop but I told them, I'd only be a minute. I think she got the message :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Had my MRI yesterday- feckin contrast dye drip leaked into my arm outside my vein, so that was very painful.

I've been pretty rundown lately, 3 colds in 6 weeks and lots of mouth ulcers. Hoping it's not a sign of a relapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Had my MRI yesterday- feckin contrast dye drip leaked into my arm outside my vein, so that was very painful.

I've been pretty rundown lately, 3 colds in 6 weeks and lots of mouth ulcers. Hoping it's not a sign of a relapse.

I suffer so so bad with mouth ulcers for about the last 15 years. Absolute torture. Nothing for the only to suck it up and let time heal........... on the plus side if you get iv steroids they clear up with an hour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

adam88 wrote: »
    I suffer so so bad with mouth ulcers for about the last 15 years. Absolute torture. Nothing for the only to suck it up and let time heal........... on the plus side if you get iv steroids they clear up with an hour

Yeah pretty sure it's all down to the Gilenya- I was sick constantly the first 18 months I was taking them. Just gonna get some B12 and garlic pills, hopefully they'll keep things at bay!!

Corsodyl mouth wash is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Little My

This is most probably covered already but has anyone any advice about getting a blue badge parking permit when the main problem is fatigue? I am changing jobs shortly and am concerned that if I don't get parked close to my new place of work I will find that walking the distance to the car park will make it very hard for me.

Little My, PM-ing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Little My, PM-ing you.

Would you mind filling me in as well, please ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Reminder, offering/seeking private messages is against the charter here

Little My wrote: »
    This is most probably covered already but has anyone any advice about getting a blue badge parking permit when the main problem is fatigue? I am changing jobs shortly and am concerned that if I don't get parked close to my new place of work I will find that walking the distance to the car park will make it very hard for me.

Plus one on this. If a dr assessed me I’d be grand but long walks in shopping centre car parks leaves me drained

Plus one on this. If a dr assessed me I’d be grand but long walks in shopping centre car parks leaves me drained

Me too. The woman going into Tesco is not the same woman coming out. Really thinking about applying for blue badge but feel like for me it’s admitting defeat a bit...

Little My, PM-ing you.

Perhaps you could share on the thread, to keep everyone happy :-)

Last night of a weeks cruise tonight, early starts and drinks till the early hours. I’m absolutely wrecked, not a hope of going into work Monday if was hadn’t the day off. Suppose it’s a sign of things to come.
    Diagnosed Jun 18, Gilenya since sept 18 but last few months have not been good. To be honest I’m more scared now than getting the news close to 18months ago

• Advertisement

Reminder, offering/seeking private messages is against the charter here

Sincere apologies. I did'nt realize that.

Would you mind filling me in as well, please ?
    Your neuro or gp should be able to support your application for the badge.Go with whoever is more sympathetic, sometimes GPs aren't fully aware of the extent of MS needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭eimsRV

Your neuro or gp should be able to support your application for the badge.Go with whoever is more sympathetic, sometimes GPs aren't fully aware of the extent of MS needs.

I've been thinking about discussing with my GP about applying also, she is understanding. I had a relapse in May, I'm back to work about 70% of the time now. But still finding it difficult to resume normal activities like shopping, going out with the kids, etc. due to fatigue.

Has anyone ever changed consultant? It took me ages to get into the public system after being originally diagnosed privately. I want to stay in the public system of course but I just feel I’m getting nowhere with my consultant and the team there. I’m not being difficult I just don’t think they are hearing me. I would love a different take on my MS and am wondering has anyone swopped to a different neurologist in a different hospital? TIA

Has anyone ever changed consultant? It took me ages to get into the public system after being originally diagnosed privately. I want to stay in the public system of course but I just feel I’m getting nowhere with my consultant and the team there. I’m not being difficult I just don’t think they are hearing me. I would love a different take on my MS and am wondering has anyone swopped to a different neurologist in a different hospital? TIA

I got my neuro cause she was the neuro on call the day I got diagnosed,,,,,, she has gone now and I’ve a new neuro,,,,, don’t even know if it’s male or female. What are you to expect from a neuro????

I just contact the ms nurses when I need a new script sent out

I got my neuro cause she was the neuro on call the day I got diagnosed,,,,,, she has gone now and I’ve a new neuro,,,,, don’t even know if it’s male or female. What are you to expect from a neuro????

I just contact the ms nurses when I need a new script sent out

I would like a Neurologist who listened to me

I would like a Neurologist who listened to me

I’m tremendously lucky in that regard . Our Neuro is super is why I drive 4.5 hours each way to her each month.

I’m tremendously lucky in that regard . Our Neuro is super is why I drive 4.5 hours each way to her each month.

She based in the south???

Is there a reason why you attend so often ??

I haven’t been seen in over a year

I would happily travel to a neuro if I was happy with them. Took me two hours travelling to mine last week and I was very unhappy with how I was treated.

• Advertisement

That's some trek for you, you must be floored after that day out, I know I would be .

Advertisement