Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media Broadband - Price Increase - Break Contract

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭brophs

We were a few days out from our cutoff date (250 Naked BB) so I called them yesterday to see was there a last offer before we went with Vodafone. We'd previously been offered €15 off for the year and after a bit of back and forth, the guy agreed to 6 months at half, 6 months at full. I pushed it to the point where we were ending the call and he wasn't budging so I just went with it, notwithstanding the folks on here getting 9 months. We also have an issue that I reckon was going to cost us an installation fee with Vodafone, so it was the easiest option, all things considered.

I just called, selected the cancellation option, then the moving to another provider option, if that's of any use to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

brophs wrote: »
    We were a few days out from our cutoff date (250 Naked BB) so I called them yesterday to see was there a last offer before we went with Vodafone. We'd previously been offered €15 off for the year and after a bit of back and forth, the guy agreed to 6 months at half, 6 months at full. I pushed it to the point where we were ending the call and he wasn't budging so I just went with it, notwithstanding the folks on here getting 9 months. We also have an issue that I reckon was going to cost us an installation fee with Vodafone, so it was the easiest option, all things considered.

I just called, selected the cancellation option, then the moving to another provider option, if that's of any use to anyone.

I was told system does not show 6 months :) ! So had to cancel

the black friday offers are live now

https://www.virginmedia.ie/

Meh ! no free TV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

the black friday offers are live now

https://www.virginmedia.ie/

Meh ! no free TV

As a long term customer well out of 12 month contract is it possible to sign up to one of these offers and take on a new contract................or as per are these only for new customers

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

sonofenoch wrote: »
    As a long term customer well out of 12 month contract is it possible to sign up to one of these offers and take on a new contract................or as per are these only for new customers

If they are for new customers they wont give it to you regardless if you are out of contract or not. I recently signed up to the €55 deal they had for tv/bb including sky sports but had to cancel my existing BB account and sign the wife up to the new deal. Didnt have any downtime in service but was a little bit of an overlap of accounts.

• Advertisement

New broadband only deals are infact worse....6 months 15 eur off....atleast they are offering 15 off for 9 months !

Sky has black friday deals on now...free 32 inch TV

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Aquos76 wrote: »
    VM just offered me 6 months half price on BB, so 2 months half price @€;59 rate and 4 months on new price of €62.50 then the remaining 6 months at full price of €62.50. In the past few years I’ve had 2 9 months half price and 2 6 months half price offers, he 100% guaranteed me that I won’t get another 9 months deal, especially as I’ve only got phone and BB.

My predicament now is Siro is currently being installed in my area but I’m not sure how long it will be before it’s live, also, we are heavy users with a few months over the 1000gb usage. Apparently eir and Vodafone impose restrictions and possible changes when you exceed their limits.

For the minute I’ve asked him to leave a note on my account with the 6 month offer while I consider my options.

Right so, I rang them back on this this morning, I told them that I have decided I am going to leave and wanted to give my 30 days notice, explained I was going to move to Siro (which still isn't live in my area). We chatted briefly and I told her my mind was made up. She asked if I would stay on hold and she would look in to my account and see if there was any other offer available to me.

After a few minutes she came back and told me over the last 5 years I have had 3 x 9 months and 2 x 6 month half price offers and because I only have broadband and phone, they weren't in a position to give me another 9 months offer this time around. As I don't use the phone service she was in a position to upgrade me from 240mb to 360mb without the phone and gave it to me for 29.50 for 6 months and then 59.00 for remaining 6 months, so I got a free speed upgrade, and I stay on the old price. I'm happy enough considering I regularly go over 1000gb usage a month.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You are a carbon copy of my situation/predicament

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭in2dark

A warning for everyone here taking their "offers"

I was cheated by these scams big time and I have nothing else tondo but to wait for my new 12 months contract to end before i leave them FOREVER.

So what happened. I was into 12m tv and broadband contract for 60 a month. Got the email for price increase. Called them to say i cancel etc etc in order to get a better deal.

Because tv is terrible and i barely use it i told them im only interested in broadband.

So they offered 9m broadband for 44 and the rest 3 month 59 which i accepted.

And here is the mega cheat:
    First month bill 72 euros... I called to ask why and the answer was:

We unbundled your tv and charged you full price for the 40 days notice.

So in reality the scams what they did was to take 30 days notice for tv only and charge me broadband twice

I have no options left. The cooling period is over.

Just a warning to the community...

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Cancelled after 20 years. No offer to stay. Off to Vodafone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Gone too , was offered half price for 6 months , moving to sky as I've never been with them and sick of virgins crap TV

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

in2dark wrote: »
    A warning for everyone here taking their "offers"

I was cheated by these scams big time and I have nothing else tondo but to wait for my new 12 months contract to end before i leave them FOREVER.

So what happened. I was into 12m tv and broadband contract for 60 a month. Got the email for price increase. Called them to say i cancel etc etc in order to get a better deal.

Because tv is terrible and i barely use it i told them im only interested in broadband.

So they offered 9m broadband for 44 and the rest 3 month 59 which i accepted.

And here is the mega cheat:
    First month bill 72 euros... I called to ask why and the answer was:

We unbundled your tv and charged you full price for the 40 days notice.

So in reality the scams what they did was to take 30 days notice for tv only and charge me broadband twice

I have no options left. The cooling period is over.

Just a warning to the community...

I think it depends on how many days are left in your current monthly payment cycle. It will balance out next month. My first bill for my half price deal of €47 was only €23.99, which will balance in the next bill.

Don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ning

Any installation fee.?

None

donnyvegas wrote: »
    I think it depends on how many days are left in your current monthly payment cycle. It will balance out next month. My first bill for my half price deal of €47 was only €23.99, which will balance in the next bill.

Don't worry.

No it is not the case. They UNBUNDLED and charged me twice.
    Next bill will be 44

As i said... Scams. Beware

In your case u stayed with same product i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bonjurkes

No it is not the case. They UNBUNDLED and charged me twice.
    Next bill will be 44

As i said... Scams. Beware

In your case u stayed with same product i guess

They send you an email showing the order you placed (the deal you accepted) after you are done on phone with them. Did you check that email? Worst case scenario just ask them to listen your phone call records to be sure there is nothing sketchy. As last option you can try to get in touch with comreg about this issue.

bonjurkes wrote: »
    They send you an email showing the order you placed (the deal you accepted) after you are done on phone with them. Did you check that email? Worst case scenario just ask them to listen your phone call records to be sure there is nothing sketchy. As last option you can try to get in touch with comreg about this issue.

Yes they emailed the deal, they never mentioned they will cheat with the "unbundling"

They act like sneaky thieves. They will be treated as such. As i said this is the last time i pay such thieves.

Comreg? Right... Others waste more than a year with comreg in order to be heard.

What is annoying is that such practices are tolerated. Anyway not by me. They lose not me. If all they can do is sneak 30 euros more let them do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭dubrov

Yes they emailed the deal, they never mentioned they will cheat with the "unbundling"

They act like sneaky thieves. They will be treated as such. As i said this is the last time i pay such thieves.

Comreg? Right... Others waste more than a year with comreg in order to be heard.

What is annoying is that such practices are tolerated. Anyway not by me. They lose not me. If all they can do is sneak 30 euros more let them do

I'd double check your numbers before wasting your time.
    There is around a month's notice to end your TV+Broadband contract.
    Are you sure the first month wasn't covering the month's notice period on your TV+Broadband contract and the TV service was still being provided?

dubrov wrote: »
    I'd double check your numbers before wasting your time.
    There is around a month's notice to end your TV+Broadband contract.
    Are you sure the first month wasn't covering the month's notice period on your TV+Broadband contract and the TV service was still being provided?

I wouldnt say all I say if I was not 100% sure.

Anyway, I said what I said and warned the community.

If you doubt my words anf my facts not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭dubrov

Well I guess if they won't address your complaint, then I'd complain to ComReg and if you have the energy, the small claims court.

I'd threaten both before following through with it though

When they charged you for the 30 days notice of your TV package, did you still have access to these channels?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,036 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Phoned up today.
    Threatened to leave.
    Person on end of the phone (very nice person) offered me 15 off for 3 months.
    I eventually got it to 15 off for 9 months and bumped up to 500mb.
    To be honest I didn’t push that hard as I know I’ve had a lot of loyalty packages in the last while.
    Hopefully Siro get going in my area within 9 months!

Aquos76 wrote: »
    When they charged you for the 30 days notice of your TV package, did you still have access to these channels?

Yes i did.
    How is this relevant? I understand i need to give notice
    I understand i need to pay what i use

What i never agreed on was the "unbundling"

It was never presented to me, i never agreed

What was sold to me was the 45 a month for 9 months. Nothing else

Yes i did.
    How is this relevant? I understand i need to give notice
    I understand i need to pay what i use

What i never agreed on was the "unbundling"

It was never presented to me, i never agreed

What was sold to me was the 45 a month for 9 months. Nothing else

What you signed up to was for broadband only package with a 9 month special offer included, in all honesty, what did you think would happen to the tv service, you knew you had to give 30 days notice which is why they had to charge you separately for it for the duration of your 30 days notice period, as your new package didn’t include a tv package. They have charged you for a service which you are availing off, my advice would be suck it up and move on. They are covered in their T&C’s regardless of whether you agree or not

tom1ie wrote:
    Phoned up today. Threatened to leave. Person on end of the phone (very nice person) offered me 15 off for 3 months. I eventually got it to 15 off for 9 months and bumped up to 500mb. To be honest I didn’t push that hard as I know I’ve had a lot of loyalty packages in the last while. Hopefully Siro get going in my area within 9 months!

I was given same offer and I decided to leave...moved to voda and I am glad I did...saved some money and also yearly drama

in2dark wrote:
    If you doubt my words anf my facts not a problem.

I trust you...everytime when I continued with them I had to check the bills for three months..they ****ed up almost every year

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭sector_000

deco72 wrote: »
    If they are for new customers they wont give it to you regardless if you are out of contract or not. I recently signed up to the €55 deal they had for tv/bb including sky sports but had to cancel my existing BB account and sign the wife up to the new deal. Didnt have any downtime in service but was a little bit of an overlap of accounts.

Was your wife able to take your landline number? Did the service switch over to your wife's account & equipment straight away? Or did hers only work right after your account expired?

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

Eir is charging me €1,000 a year for tv and broadband.

Seems dear - anyone suggest an alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Going to fun here when Vodafone increase their prices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭bromley52

adrian92 wrote: »
    Eir is charging me €1,000 a year for tv and broadband.

Seems dear - anyone suggest an alternative?

Go to your local and have a chat. Within 5min you will have an option for TV.

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    Going to fun here when Vodafone increase their prices

Happy to pay if they can justify it rather than forcing users to select new plans with increased speeds and proclaimed improved services

Advertisement