Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Courier delivered empty package

• 04-11-2019 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Here's the story.

I bought a new Samsung Galaxy S10 on the 16th September. There was an offer at the time of a free Galaxy watch active with every purchase of the S10. When you bought the phone you apply for the watch on the Samsung website and once your claim is validated they would send you out the watch within 45 days. My claim was validated on the 16 September.

On the 17th of October when I was putting my bins out for collection, I found an empty package addressed to me that had been thrown over my side gate by a courier. The watch was the only thing I had been expecting so I knew that that is what should have been in the package. I went on to the couriers website and discovered that the item was marked delivered on the 7th of October. I rang them and they told me to send an email to their complaints department and to also report it to Samsung. I did this.

The courier company replied fairly promptly with an email saying please start claim as driver has left company. I rang them to find out how to do this and was told to get on to Samsung, explain what happened, and they would send out another watch and would charge the courier company for the watch who in turn would charge the delivery driver.

Samsung also replied promptly and asked for a photo of the empty package. I emailed it to them and they told me they would investigate and get back to me when they had an update.

Its been over a week now since I have heard from either company. I sent and email last Thursday to Samsung asking if they had an update but haven't got a reply. I haven't bothered contacting the courier company for an update as I found them less than helpful over the phone and besides, I am a customer of Samsung, not the courier company so I believe it is up to them to rectify the problem.

I would not have bought the phone if the watch hadn't come as part of the deal.

Does anybody have any advice on how I should proceed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

When you say it was empty, was the package sealed and empty, or opened and the item removed (ie. stolen)? Either way, as you've acknowledged, it's between you and Samsung and they can deal with the courier.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Donutz

It was opened and empty. I would be fairly certain that the package was delivered with something in it and in the meantime somebody stole the watch from it.

I have CCTV and can see the courier going down the side of the house with the package but unfortunately I have no CCTV pointing down the side of the house so cannot see anybody taking anything.

Its also a bit weird that somebody would steal whats inside the package but leave the empty package there to be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Don't bother contacting the courier. Just deal with Samsumg. Tell them the item was not delivered. It's then up to the courier to prove it was. They'd need a signature for that, which they don't have. Dumping it somewhere down the side of the house is not delivering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ring the courier company, ask for the couriers name and address as you are reporting it as theft to the Gardand need those details. It may prompt them into acting quicker to resolve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

The courier driver left on the same day you got the empty package?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nightlazy or Fastfail?

Ring the courier company, ask for the couriers name and address as you are reporting it as theft to the Gardand need those details. It may prompt them into acting quicker to resolve it.
    They were less than useless so doubt that would prompt them to act. They would probably tell me it's against GDPR rules to give that information anyway
    The courier driver left on the same day you got the empty package?
    Driver "delivered" it on the 7th of October. I found the empty package on the 17th.
    ED E wrote:
    Nightlazy or Fastfail?

Neither. It was GLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭thebiglad

The Courier's contract is with Samsung - OP should simply address Samsung and leave them to out the Courier and whether they wish to pursue the company or indivdual in respect of the loss to them.

Courier will refuse to supply details under GDPR and also contractually have no obligtion to OP.

If OP went to Garda I doubt they would take any action - the loss is not OPs - Samsung should replace the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Ops contract is with Samsung, OP should only deal with samsung. Simples.

courier has no signature, and a replacement should be forthcoming.

The courier may have a signature. When I rang to complain the driver had claimed to his manager that I had given permission for him to sign for the item. That was complete BS though.

So there may be a signature but it certainly isn't mine and it certainly wasnt authorised by me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Twister2

Would be better to have stick with true story

Once u go changing it saying there was no box u might get caught out

Twister2 wrote:
    Would be better to have stick with true story

Twister2 wrote:
    Once u go changing it saying there was no box u might get caught out

When did I change the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ops contract is with Samsung, OP should only deal with samsung. Simples.

Correct, OP your contract is with Samsung, contact them and relate what happened... Samsung can only replace what they have failed to deliver to you, their contract is with the courier so let ‘them’ and the courier fight about what happened/didn’t happen... you just want the phone you ordered, you won’t get that arguing the toss with a courier company only the people you bought it from...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Usually there's a little note left to say they tried to deliver it or left it in a safe place around the side of the house?

Was that not in your letterbox on 7th Oct?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

What have Samsung said?

Usually there's a little note left to say they tried to deliver it or left it in a safe place around the side of the house?

Was that not in your letterbox on 7th Oct?

There was no note. I wouldn't have minded if the courier had left a note but this wasnt the case.

What have Samsung said?
    Samsung have been very quiet. It's been nearly 2 weeks since I contacted them. I asked for an update last week and they said that they are still investigating it.

Surely it shouldn't take that long to contact the courier and ask them what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Tell them their investigation isn’t your problem.

You ordered a phone, paid for it but a couple of weeks later you don’t have it.

If it was being delivered by courier it would need to have been signed for.

If it was half inched the courier is responsible and therefore the phone company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mezzotint

If you've paid for this, they haven't delivered it. The fact that they've used an incompetent courier isn't your problem. They're contractually obliged to deliver what you paid for.

If you paid money for this, next step is a charge back on your card if it's not resolved.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

If you are talking to someone in the UK (customer servuces), maybe their irish twitter account or Irish office?

Samsung Electronics (UK) Ltd - Irish Office 
    The Grange Offices 
    Stillorgan Road 
    Blackrock, Dublin 
    01932 455 000

Advertisement