Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork conference

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Did you go, how was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Hi Black oil, yes I went and got a lot from it. I guess some of it was preaching to the converted. Whitaker was excellent and got a few books there which I haven't managed to get into yet time wise.

Things that stood out for me were the Power threat meaning framework as something I need to look into further and also the anti-recovery movement which is essentially (from what I gathered) a group that are warning against recovery being co-opted by the services.
    It was also nice to put a face to a few names that I had been in contact with digitally. I'll be going back next year, parking was a bit of a pain but otherwise the format and facilities were excellent. Cork is a bit of a trek for me but worth it I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

got a few books there which I haven't managed to get into yet time wise.
    Authors and titles?

Hi Fathom,

Both are of a similar format in that they have many contributors to each chapter/section.

Inside out, Outside in, transforming mental health practices. Edited by Harry Gijbels, Lydia Sapouna & Gary Sidley.

Drop the Disorder, challenging the culture of psychiatric diagnosis, Edited by Jo Watson.

Hopefully will have them read over the Christmas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Drop the Disorder, challenging the culture of psychiatric diagnosis, Edited by Jo Watson.
    When you read this one. Let us know your thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hi Black oil, yes I went and got a lot from it. I guess some of it was preaching to the converted. Whitaker was excellent and got a few books there which I haven't managed to get into yet time wise.

Things that stood out for me were the Power threat meaning framework as something I need to look into further and also the anti-recovery movement which is essentially (from what I gathered) a group that are warning against recovery being co-opted by the services.
    It was also nice to put a face to a few names that I had been in contact with digitally. I'll be going back next year, parking was a bit of a pain but otherwise the format and facilities were excellent. Cork is a bit of a trek for me but worth it I think.

Thanks for the report. Is it always in Cork?

On recovery point, do you mean this? https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/4/mental-health-services/advancingrecoveryireland/

Thanks for the report. Is it always in Cork?

On recovery point, do you mean this? https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/4/mental-health-services/advancingrecoveryireland/

Afaik yes always in Cork.
    I honestly think ARI/MHE office are trying to do the right thing although I am somewhat biased as I work via them. The anti-recovery movement is against the neo liberalism (their words) of the services, so taken to the nth degree we may see that the service wants a certain type of recovery, although that hasn't been my experience tbh. Where they do have a point imho is the whole resilience type thing, so a hypothetical example, we will teach mental resilience to the kids living in hotel rooms (no you should facilitate them not living there) if that makes sense?
    Not sure I have explained it fully.

Advertisement