Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Who will win the main event
Khabib Nurmagomedov by KO/TKO 13 14.44%
Khabib Nurmagomedov by Sub 29 32.22%
Khabib Nurmagomedov on Points 24 26.67%
Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO 20 22.22%
Dustin Poirier by Sub 0 0%
Dustin Poirier on Points 4 4.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

10-09-2019, 14:52   #526
xckjoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post
Khabib has also fought at welterweight.
And has missed weight at LW.
In UFC? Can only see mention of some pre-UFC fights at welterweight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviGlitzko View Post
Khabib's weight cuts to LW have a tougher track record than Conor's to FW. He complained about feeling sick & the cut's having a detrimental effect to his health, + missing weight at least once. He puts himself through it because he knows he can't mix it at WW. If he could he wouldn't be putting himself through the above.
Seemed like more of a lack of knowledge on how to cut weight than anything. But that could just be my perspective. He also had recurring injury issues that seem to be under control now with a proper team behind him.
Advertisement
10-09-2019, 15:08   #527
Mellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xckjoo View Post
In UFC? Can only see mention of some pre-UFC fights at welterweight.
You refer the weight he “started at and stayed at”. Looking at his whole career seems relevant.

Quote:
Seemed like more of a lack of knowledge on how to cut weight than anything. But that could just be my perspective. He also had recurring injury issues that seem to be under control now with a proper team behind him.
I doubt russian wrestling coaches, or those around his camp are unfamiliar with cutting weight. He was simply bigger then than he is now. He was getting up into the 190s before camp.
10-09-2019, 15:46   #528
xckjoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post
You refer the weight he “started at and stayed at”. Looking at his whole career seems relevant.

I doubt russian wrestling coaches, or those around his camp are unfamiliar with cutting weight. He was simply bigger then than he is now. He was getting up into the 190s before camp.
I just realised I mixed up welterweight and featherweight
Welterweight must be the most competitive division in UFC at the moment. That and the extra jump in weight between divisions makes me think we'll never see him trying it. I've a feeling we're only going to see a few more fights out of Khabib before he retires.
10-09-2019, 16:26   #529
MrStuffins

Quote:
McGregor climbed to the top of featherweight division and wanted to test himself in another weight class. He did well for himself, got a world title out of it. He even went to welterweight against Diaz twice. Man has no fear. If Conor never left FW there'd be people including him in the greatest lists.

Because of Khabib's style using his natural size advantage to force on opponent's, moving up weight puts his outstanding quality fairly obsolete. Like if he's so good why doesn't he move up? My reservations with him being talked about as great are the same with Mighty Mouse. They're afraid.
Again,

A) I'm not sure what any of this has to do with what I said

B) I'm certainly not sure what any of what I said has to do with Conor McGregor.
10-09-2019, 16:33   #530
Homelander

I don't think there's anything wrong with being afraid of moving up a weight class. Khabib is in the right place (LW) at the right time (no decent wrestlers). Imagine retiring with a 30-0 record. He'll go down as the most dominant fighter ever (regardless of the breakdown or the particulars of how he got the record). Personally I think McGregor should've stuck at FW, he had absolutely unreal KO power at that weight. How many FW's have a record like he does, what was it, 16 or 17 KO/TKO's out of not many more fights.
Advertisement
10-09-2019, 16:34   #531
dashoonage

Quote:
McGregor climbed to the top of featherweight division and wanted to test himself in another weight class. He did well for himself, got a world title out of it. He even went to welterweight against Diaz twice. Man has no fear. If Conor never left FW there'd be people including him in the greatest lists.

I'd say the man has the fear every few days now.
10-09-2019, 16:40   #532
glasso

the step up to Welterweight from Ligthweight is a much tougher proposition compared to going from Featherweight to Lightweight.

bigger jump in weight (15lbs compared to 10lbs) and power.

would not be advisable for Khabib and I doubt that he will do it.

McGregor was a guy who for a period of time could cut down to Featherweight and effectively be large for that division.
10-09-2019, 17:46   #533
eagle eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasso
McGregor was a guy who for a period of time could cut down to Featherweight and effectively be large for that division.
And Khabib is surely cutting weight to get down to lightweight. He is huge at that weight.
Thanks from:
10-09-2019, 21:08   #534
Outlaw Pete

Post fight analysis from Roddy.

Advertisement
11-09-2019, 16:21   #535
dashoonage

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2RoVvSB...=1qxtx86s0bfz2

Felder ok to run it back as a 5 round main event.
11-09-2019, 16:52   #536
yourdeadwright

How far away from the top 5 is Gregor Gillespe ?
If theres one light weight who has the tools on "paper " to beat Khabib its Gregor , but can he make the jump and look the same aginst top guys and can he get there before Khabib packs it in
11-09-2019, 17:00   #537
The Nal

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourdeadwright View Post
How far away from the top 5 is Gregor Gillespe ?
If theres one light weight who has the tools on "paper " to beat Khabib its Gregor , but can he make the jump and look the same aginst top guys and can he get there before Khabib packs it in
Assume he would need a win on a PPV card and then another win against a top 5?

Whos knows though there so much left to chance in the UFC with injuries etc he could get up there sooner. Seems hes started to realise he has to call people out to get ahead now though.
12-09-2019, 10:32   #538
Guy Person

Khabib and Tony's last 8 opponents. This fight just has to be next.

(2) thanks from:
12-09-2019, 19:42   #539
sonofenoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle eye View Post
And Khabib is surely cutting weight to get down to lightweight. He is huge at that weight.
Khabib never struck me as particularly big looking, stubby arms and squat shoulders .............his core strength is clearly huge

Don't think he'd look big at all at 170, quite the opposite
13-09-2019, 01:06   #540
Mellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofenoch View Post
Don't think he'd look big at all at 170, quite the opposite
Khabib fights at lightweight.
He is saying Khabib is cutting a lot to get down to 155. He wouldn' be cutting a lot to get down to 170.
Just like Conor was cutting a lot to get down to 145, but isn't cutting a lot to get down to 155.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion