Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
27-06-2018, 14:56   #256
DONTMATTER
Banned
 
DONTMATTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook_ie View Post
reminds me of BucksFizz and Making Your Mind Up
The point flew right over your head.
DONTMATTER is offline  
Advertisement
27-06-2018, 14:58   #257
hatrickpatrick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTA69 View Post
The Gardai are in serious need of deep reform, I don't think drawing from another poisoned well is the route by which to achieve that.
This sums up my own feeling about it, in all honesty. I don't know much about this individual and I sincerely wish him well and hope that he manages to sort out the unimaginable clusterf*ck omnishambles which is our police service, but it feels like he's starting the job with a cloud already hanging over him due to his former membership of what was in essence a state-sponsored terrorist group. The thing is though, he could easily have been one of the good people who joined it in the hopes of trying to fix that clusterf*ck, and I don't know enough about him as an individual to say one way or another. So let's give him a chance and hope for the best.
hatrickpatrick is offline  
(3) thanks from:
27-06-2018, 15:45   #258
Taytoland
Banned
 
Taytoland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberrrrrrrr View Post
For some reason it wont allow me to reply to thos post

Quote:
Like I said, this is like denying Gerry Adams was in the IRA. Look it up if you want, I'm not going to spoonfeed you. Especially as you laugh at the victims families.
No one is saying Adams wasn't in the IRA but I guarantee if you start a thread claiming that then you will be hounded for evidence.

I'm also not laughing at anyone but You, your constant refusal to back up any/all claims that you make is what's funny.
A certain poster on here, yes. Think we know who.
Taytoland is offline  
Thanks from:
27-06-2018, 16:53   #259
bubblypop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6541 View Post
I also wonder is he a member of the Orange Order. If so he needs to declare this.
why?
bubblypop is offline  
27-06-2018, 17:49   #260
corner of hells
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblypop View Post
why?
So he can book some leave for the marching season ?
corner of hells is offline  
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
27-06-2018, 17:50   #261
Muahahaha
Registered User
 
Muahahaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 9,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Eyes View Post

Anyway just to say, we are talking about the South here. He will get the message I hope that cops are just not patrolling anymore at all, well at least in Dublin. Disgraceful in a capital city. But I blame the Supers, they are the managers, but the tail seems to wag the dog, or maybe it is just precedent. I dunno.

There does not have to be a blanket police presence, but SOME presence would be reassuring. It is so obvious by its absence and I don't know why that is.
There was a Garda Audit released last week which answers the question of why they are not a visible force on the streets - only 44% of Gardai are actually in roles where they face the public.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/iris...ntact-12642952
Quote:
Fewer than half of gardai available for duty are engaged in visible policing, it has been revealed.

An audit discovered just 44% of fully-trained officers are involved in direct contact with the public.


The figure was uncovered by an RTE Freedom Of Information request and is understood to be in contravention of the force’s own policing plan.

It is also against recommendations by the Garda Inspectorate which said there should be the maximum number of officers dedicated to conducting high-visibility patrols.

The Garda Internal Audit Committee, which carried out the report, described the number as “low”.
On top of that the audit found that 6,000 odd juvenile offenders were never prosecuted by the Gardai, its pretty shocking stuff as it sends the message out that they can do anything and get away with it
Quote:
Meanwhile, preliminary findings of an audit found the Garda never pursued between 6,000 and 7,000 juvenile offenders who committed crimes from 2010 to the end of last year.

The children and teens were deemed unsuitable for admittance into the juvenile liaison system due to the seriousness of the offences involved.

Garda authorities are set to discipline the officers involved.
Muahahaha is offline  
27-06-2018, 18:38   #262
Yamanoto
Registered User
 
Yamanoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,866
I look forward to the high-vis sash making an appearance on the uniform.

The appointment reinforces the positive nature of the relationship & the level of meaningful cooperation that now goes on between AGS & PSNI. A Patten-style teardown & rebuild is what's needed in this jurisdiction.
Yamanoto is offline  
27-06-2018, 19:52   #263
Galwayguy35
Registered User
 
Galwayguy35's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 11,120
I never thought I'd see the day an ex RUC guy would be top dog in the Guards.
Galwayguy35 is offline  
Thanks from:
27-06-2018, 19:55   #264
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3,629
Some of the reactions to this appointment put me in mind of Blazing Saddles.

Yer Da sells Avon is offline  
Advertisement
27-06-2018, 19:59   #265
Dr Brown
Registered User
 
Dr Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,273
They should have appointed Padraig Nally as Garda Commissioner.
Dr Brown is offline  
Thanks from:
27-06-2018, 20:02   #266
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Brown View Post
They should have appointed Padraig Nally as Garda Commissioner.
And what's wrong with Conor McGregors credentials??
D Trent is offline  
(2) thanks from:
27-06-2018, 20:09   #267
end of the road
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 23,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblypop View Post
why?
because they represent views and cultural ideals that were (and in some cases still are) hostile toards all things irish.
end of the road is offline  
Thanks from:
27-06-2018, 20:19   #268
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 316
I'm optimistic about this

He seems to be a top man

Has to be a big improvement after Callaghan and Sullivan
Mikenesson is offline  
Thanks from:
27-06-2018, 20:35   #269
An Claidheamh
Registered User
 
An Claidheamh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taytoland View Post
For God and Ulster Drew!

Funny you say that.

Drew Harris is part of an agenda to integrate unionists into a United Ireland.

This follows a former unionist being appointed to the Seanad.

No doubt Varadkar can then use this as balance when he goes into coalition with Sinn Féin.
Actually quite clever.

Times they are a changing.

Do Dhia Agus Éireann mo chara.
An Claidheamh is offline  
(3) thanks from:
27-06-2018, 20:42   #270
An Claidheamh
Registered User
 
An Claidheamh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,478
The fact is this man was part of the sectarian RUC, he colluded and effectively was part of a terrorist organisation.
His father was killed because of that.

He most likely helped in the murder of innocent Irish people for the British state just like Fg and Labour and covered them up if even necessary.

People are very naive if they anything will happen to Gerry Adam's or from the Smith Wick tribunal just because he's the new commissioner.
Nothing will.

However, he'll be branded a traitor by unionists.

If he is willing to swear an oath of allegiance to Ireland and shows up his predecessors then I'm happy.

Hope he does a good job.
An Claidheamh is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet